Riesentöter Forums
Towing and EZPass - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Towing and EZPass (/showthread.php?tid=3382)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Towing and EZPass - Phokaioglaukos - 04-03-2013

I had a transponder failure on the Ben Franklin and got the letter with a fine. Added the trailer plate to the account and called the help desk and got the fine removed.

On a related topic, what are you charged on the Whitman or BF bridges coming back to PA? Truck has two axles and trailer has two axles. Is that supposed to be a $30 charge for four axles?

RE: Towing and EZPass - the_vetman - 04-03-2013

What a timely thread..

Coincidentally I called PA EZ-Pass yesterday to discuss this. I'm not currently trailering but thinking of buying a truck and an aluminum trailer. They said to put the truck on file with EZ-Pass (with a transponder) and you can tow whatever your heart desires - # of axles were never mentioned. No transponder needed (or wanted) for the car being towed.

Interesting info about having the trailer registered - they did not mention this on the phone but will do when I get a trailer. I wonder if it's because they zap/photo you but then don't recognize the license plate (truck license plate being hidden or obscured).

(04-03-2013, 11:55 AM)the_vetman Wrote: I wonder if it's because they zap/photo you but then don't recognize the license plate (truck license plate being hidden or obscured).

Right. The photo is of the rear and when you tow it's the trailer plate that is photographed.

(04-03-2013, 12:00 PM)Phokaioglaukos Wrote: Right. The photo is of the rear and when you tow it's the trailer plate that is photographed.

Thank you, Chris. Smile

RE: Towing and EZPass - Marty Kocse - 04-03-2013

Don't forget, if the car you're towing has ez-pass, make sure you remember to remove it and place it in the aluminum foil bag (that came with pass when you first got it) so it doesn't also get picked up as you go through the toll.

Good point!

(04-03-2013, 07:02 PM)Phokaioglaukos Wrote: Good point!

Definitely a good point. Smile

I'd planned on removing the EZ-pass tag from the car being towed so the double-charging doesn't happen... and so it won't fly off on the track! The latter being highly unlikely IMO but it won't pass the grid inspection for sure! Big Grin

RE: Towing and EZPass - MikeKling - 04-03-2013

In PA I zip thru the EZPass with ease. Never a problem. The Commodore Barry Bridge is a different story. First time coming back from NJMP, I EZpassed myself and then received a wonderful letter telling me that I owed a fine. So next time I removed my tranponder thingy, went to the cash lane, paid cash (10.50 pesos) and thought I was an honest citizen. Surprisingly, I received another nasty gram with a picture of my car's plate. I sent a warm lettter explaining that I paid the gentleman the required fee. The response, of course was a more tersely worded letter demanding payment. So now I pay cash and get a receipt so that I can prove my payment. Ya know we don't have these problems in Pittsburgh, and we have a winnning football team. Just saying.

RE: Towing and EZPass - CarreraS - 04-04-2013

That hurt, Mike!

RE: Towing and EZPass - StoogeMoe203 - 04-04-2013

(04-03-2013, 08:17 PM)MikeKling Wrote: The Commodore Barry Bridge is a different story. First time coming back from NJMP, I EZpassed myself and then received a wonderful letter telling me that I owed a fine.

Uh oh, that's the bridge I use. What year was this? Did this happen recently?

Do they have suction cup mounts for the EZ Pass so it can be removed easily?