Riesentöter Forums
Harness expiration dates - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Harness expiration dates (/showthread.php?tid=3430)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Harness expiration dates - StoogeMoe203 - 05-07-2013

Larry, there was a somewhat lengthy discussion about this a couple of months ago on another forum. See click me

RE: Harness expiration dates - jmr3 - 05-07-2013

Now I think this is getting a bit ridiculous. It is my understanding that the 5 year rule has been in place in a variety of sanctioned racing organizations for some time for some reason or another. Despite your preference for facts, I am not going to list the organizations here because doing so would be irrelevant. I am also not going to try to argue about why the rule is in place or who is right or wrong because that too is irrelevant. The PCA powers that be have decided that harnesses are not to be used in DE after they are 5 years old. If your harnesses are older than required and you want to participate in DE, with a modified car, you need to buy new harnesses or have yours rewebbed if the manufacturer offers that service. You should know where to get them from your previous thread about harnesses.

RE: Harness expiration dates - ccm911 - 05-07-2013

OK guys, we are on page two already.

If I am reading this correctly, Larry is too cheap to have his harnesses re-webbed. Most folks would put the safety of their instructors ahead of saving three hundred dollars.

Larry, you are an excellent writer, and obviously not dumb. So please don't use some glib facts to escape the inevitable replacement of your belts.

RE: Harness expiration dates - larrybard - 05-07-2013

Jim, Thanks for the useful link to the related Rennlist discussion. Of particular interest:

"Having worked in the belt industry for years.....manufacturing safety equipment that just like belts has to save your life one time......

"All of the UV protection in belting is in the coating/dyes. You can put some really good coatings on that will negate the effects of UV quite effectively. 5 years given our exposure in these cars is nonsense but like someone has already mentioned, its a way to perpetuate the business. I mean hey the UV could probably degrade the plastic in my Hans at the same rate.....oh wait lets not give them that idea."

Chris, I don't know if you're getting a bit insulting in your comments ("Larry is too cheap . . . .") because you fail to understand why I started this whole thread, and what I've said, or because that's just your style. For the last time, I hope: I asked because someone at the membership meeting -- it may have been Wally -- said he was discussing the issue of harness expiration dates with PCA. I just asked if he had heard anything further. I have no problem at all with the expense of buying replacement harnesses (or having my current "re-webbed"). My point was that I wanted to understand the logic of the 5 year rule -- what was it based upon? I didn't present any "glib facts." And as best as I can tell, buried within your posts (including some faulty information YOU presented), is no logic supporting the 5 year requirement, other than, basically, "because" -- i.e., those are the requirements. Sheesh!

RE: Harness expiration dates - Wally - 05-08-2013

Let's stop the bickering right now. Regardless of the rational or logic behind the reason for replacing harnesses every five years, it's a PCA rule. We have to accept and live with it. There was some discussion about the implementation of the rule earlier, but it had no foundation.
Larry, besides being wise to ask an Instructor to ride with you occasionally to give you tips and pointers, if you want to advance to Black, you'll have to have several Instructors give you check rides.

RE: Harness expiration dates - larrybard - 05-08-2013

Wally,

Thanks. I agree completely that these rules have to be strictly obeyed, regardless of whether their understanding rationale has been explained.

As for advancement, as you probably know I would just as soon drive in green as in white, primarily because of how much I value having an instructor.

RE: Harness expiration dates - JoeP - 05-08-2013

Larry - Check with local drag shops if you want to save a few bucks, and do not mind belts with another person's scuzz on them. NHRA participants must replace belts two years after the date of manufacture, even if it is in the middle of a season. Some shops offer old belts at a large discount since they are essentially worthless to NHRA people. The biggest downside is that it is rare to find a pair of belts. Drag afficionados usually race alone.

RE: Harness expiration dates - larrybard - 05-09-2013

Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion about used two year old harnesses. I will probably nevertheless either buy new ones, or have my two TeamTech harnesses re-webbed (I'm getting a quote). I'm unfamiliar with local NHRA related equipment sources, and if I just Google "drag shops" I'm going to get the names of . . . um, suppliers of some other things (in which, for the record, I have absolutly no interest).

Larry

RE: Harness expiration dates - ccm911 - 05-09-2013

K and G Speed shop. Broomall PA. Tell them that Jungle Jim Lieberman sent you.

RE: Harness expiration dates - Wally - 05-09-2013

(05-09-2013, 02:08 PM)ccm911 Wrote: K and G Speed shop. Broomall PA. Tell them that Jungle Jim Lieberman sent you.
Now Chris, unless you're clueless, everyone knows that it was "Grumpy" Jenkins who can do the spec on safety equipment.Cool