Riesentöter Forums
AAA Advanced Driver Training Program - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: AAA Advanced Driver Training Program (/showthread.php?tid=352)

- Brian Minkin - 02-24-2007

I noticed an article in the AAA magazine promoting their advanced driver training program.  It is modeled after the training given to the NJ state police and is taught by the state police trainers. While not a comprehensive outline of their course here is what I picked up. Starts with a 1 hour classroom session covering the basics of driver safety and evasive driving focusing mostly on steering and braking techniques. Then its on to the parking lot where the driver is put through a series of exercises through cones. The first course is called the serpentine where the driver must maintain a speed of 28-30 MPH while not using the brakes.  Hands at nine o'clock and three. The writer of the article who took the course in a beetle indicated that it took several runs to learn to keep her hands in the correct position and become smooth without jerking the wheel from side to side. I quote from the article:

"Steering is the focus of all of these exercises.  The idea is to steer - not brake - out of a dangerous situation. (on that note: You are not supposed to use your brake during the practice maneuvers.) When you lock the brakes, you relinquish control of the car to the laws of physics and they are not always fair.  The more I gave up the brake and drove the course, the more I felt I was in control of my car, not he other way around.  This was especially evident during the lane change and U-turn exercises where I maintained my speed and maneuvered sharp turns without hitting the brakes."

I have done no brake exercises on the track with other clubs and found them very challenging requiring a combination of vision (looking ahead through the turns), throttle control (throttle modulation) and smooth steering input to complete the laps without brakes at the recommended speed.  Even in advanced run groups you will see a lot of brake lights where there should be none.

I am posting this topic to bring up the importance of learning to steer out of a dangerous situation rather then braking when driving on the street.  Since this is what is recommended for safe driver training perhaps we should have a no brakes exercise as part of out DE program.  I think Jefferson Circuit might be a good track to run this exercise.  What do you think? If this seems to be something we want to try I am sure Tom and Jack would consider it.

- Phokaioglaukos - 02-27-2007

Such an exercise would be very valuable. I've done it many times on the east course at Pocono on motorcycles and it is very useful. Surprising how quick the laps can be without brakes.

If we did this exercise for a session it would be very good. If we did it for a day at JC it would be enough for me to go back to that course in a car. (JC is fun on a motorcycle, but it's just too short for a car, I think.)