Riesentöter Forums
Thoughts for P4P 2014 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Thoughts for P4P 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=3526)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Thoughts for P4P 2014 - NumeroUnoPA - 08-08-2013

Blush Blush Blush Blush Blush

The Autocross Chair reappears. Today is the first day I have been able to see the forum and eMail about Porsches for Pediatrics. It is a great regret that Maggie and I missed the event. I have read all the blogs and eMail and so I will throw in my 2 cents.

First and foremost, I think we have a winner in terms of a venue and program. It sounded like it was a gorgeous day, we raised over $10,000, it was an exciting course and the venue was perfect. There is definite area interest. I went under the knife on Friday, so I did not see the eMail from people who wanted to know about signing up on Sunday.

I agree that the forum is a great place to hear everyone’s input on the event. I hope that people will remember the purpose of the thread is making next year better. I also think there should be session to debrief. That should include the committee (which did meet several times) and others interested in looking to next year. I am available next week if Brian wants to set up.

I also learned some lessons. I am the Autocross Chair and I take responsibility for the event, even if I was on the sidelines. Next time I will not have a 2-week vacation with no phone/internet access right before the event. I assumed some of the key elements were in place and I will not make that mistake again. I promise I will not break my back the week before the event.

I watched some videos and I think Nick did a wonderful job with the layout. I agree with the comments about the finish area, but that is a minor adjustment. I would like to stay with the long course. As someone else said, it gives us distinction from the other venues in the area.

There were a number of comments about the autocross structure such as tickets for gold passes, grouping inexperienced drivers and more instructors. I would be careful to change too much without understanding the root cause. Changing a symptom will not necessarily solve the problem. SCCA does run in three heats. The idea of making the third heat for beginners intrigues me. That would allow instructors to race and be available.

I think the comments about some of our serious autocross drivers working and not driving the event are appropriate. It would provide dedicated instructors. Instructors should have different and loud t-shirts so they are easy to identify and approach for help. I realized as the planning moved forward that I would not be driving, even though I registered.

I am not sure we can fix the issues around organization and management of the autocross in one forum thread or one wrap-up meeting, but as someone else said, if this happens next year, PnP will die. We need to evaluate the timing equipment. I never saw ours before. My measure is the Central PA PCA and Philly SCCA. In particular, the timers know the previous results so it is easy to know when a gold pass reaches their sixth race. They have two displays, one for the finishing racer and one for the grid area. At any rate, I am willing to work with Terry, Nick and anyone else who has input. If we need timing equipment with more capability, then we should consider SCCA’s or buying new equipment.

I have a couple of other thoughts that would spruce things up for the drivers and audience. SCCA broadcasts their announcing over the radio and they post live results on their web site.

I also would have buckets of cold water/soda at the front of the grid for the drivers. Central PA PCA has that and it is a big hit.

Lastly, as Autocross Chair, I would like to apologize personally to Chuck for his time and expense on the trophies. I promise that will not happen again. Maggie and I were even more upset that we missed the after party. See you all soon.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

RE: Thoughts for P4P 2014 - saucerman - 08-08-2013

WHOA is that your new 5 point racing harness? Pretty rad. Welcome back Dave here's to a wonderful curvy road to recovery.

I think a meeting while it's fresh in our heads is a good idea for anyone who wants to join so whenever you are ready - just say when.

RE: Thoughts for P4P 2014 - BBrandis - 08-08-2013

Looks like Dave already has his "waiver wristband" for the next AX ready to go.

The only time I can make it next week is August 16th or August 19th or 20th of the following week. Do any of those dates work for anyone / everyone?

RE: Thoughts for P4P 2014 - BBrandis - 08-15-2013

For those of you that are interested, Cardinal Camera has uploaded some photos from the AX for your viewing pleasure. I don't believe all the pictures are uploaded yet since there are only about 40 cars listed and there were a total of about 70 cars at the event. For those of you lucky enough to have your picture taken, you can purchase them directly from the website.

http://events.cardinalcamera.com/pro_event.html