Riesentöter Forums
Cones: turn in, apex and track out, or not? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Cones: turn in, apex and track out, or not? (/showthread.php?tid=358)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Phokaioglaukos - 03-09-2007

At some point last year I suggested that it would be good drive the track without the "point-to-point" distraction of cones at turn in, apex and track out. Another club had cones out for the first day of a multi-day event but not for the next days. I did not realize it until someone pointed it out the third day. At Summit Point last year RTR decided to not place cones at all for the entire event. My recollection is that everyone, including the people who had not previously driven that track, liked not having the cones.

So, what do you think Jack should do this year?

- Marty Kocse - 03-09-2007

I feel that for a new student, the cones are a good training tool even if only for the first day.  Remember, students are learning so many things at once that it can be overwhelming.  Having the cones in place, makes the turn-in, apex, and track-out that much easier (if they're placed properly).  The cones can be seen as a crutch, but to a new student, it seems to me to be an appropriate learning tool, especially for someone who's never driven that particular track before or much less, never been to a DE event.

- Tony356993 - 03-09-2007

I think the E part of DE needs to maintained and it does help with instruction to have cones. I very much prefer to drive without cones but it does make instructing communication easier on the 1st day. I'm all for up on day 1 and then remove 'em.

- Graham - 03-09-2007

Cones are good, they make for an easy reference point.

- Brian Minkin - 03-09-2007

Graham wrote:
Quote:Cones are good, they make for an easy reference point.
Graham, So what happens when we take the cones away. The cows move so you cant us them for reference points. And there is not a drug dealer on every corner like there is in the ghetto.Big Grin

- jakp993 - 03-09-2007

One of the issues with removing the cones on the 2nd day is that we generally get some folks that can't attend until the 2nd day. 

For some tracks cones aren't all that necessary as there are enough natural reference points.  For others they make a big difference from an instruction standpoint.

I'm listening....

- Tony356993 - 03-09-2007

Just an open forum of differing opinions. Thanks for listening. Big Grin We are just throwing around some ideas that I'm sure the exec gets a chance to discuss often.

Jack, Do we really have a lot of blue & green folks (especially 1st timers to a particular track) skip the first day? If so, I agree those folks (and the instructor) might need as much help as possible.

- catchacab - 03-09-2007

I nominate Chris and Tony to monitor who wants cones and who doesn't want cones.  They will place the cones on each corner when the approaching driver has indicated that he wants them, they will also remove them for the approaching driver that doesn't want them (they must do this for all corners of the track).  All students with Tony as an instructor will automatically not be allowed to have cones.  This is for  Tony to learn to use other  landmarks to communicate with his student (or at least mess with Tony).:dude:

- jakp993 - 03-10-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Just an open forum of differing opinions. Thanks for listening. Big Grin We are just throwing around some ideas that I'm sure the exec gets a chance to discuss often.

Jack, Do we really have a lot of blue & green folks (especially 1st timers to a particular track) skip the first day? If so, I agree those folks (and the instructor) might need as much help as possible.
Hearing everyone's view is valuable! I'll put this on the agenda of items to discuss at the upcoming instructor clinic.

We really don't thave hat many people that skip the first day, but we usually have a couple an event. I have no idea if they are first timers or not. I just know that Carol had to set up registration on day 2 cause students were showing up.

Jack

- smankow - 03-10-2007

jakp993 wrote:
Quote: I have no idea if they are first timers or not. I just know that Carol had to set up registration on day 2 cause students were showing up.

Jack

Jack, this should be much easier with the online registration. Since each student puts down their experience by track, we should know who is new to DE or simply to that track.

If we remove the cones after day 1, maybe their instructor should spend a little more time with them going over track driving, the course, etc.

Steve