Riesentöter Forums
2014 RTR DE Schedule - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 2014 RTR DE Schedule (/showthread.php?tid=3612)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - Marty Kocse - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 04:37 PM)daiver8772911 Wrote: When is Taste of the Track held? I'm up for it...the only DE I did (through NASA) was at Homestead around 3 years ago...it's time to get back to it and try my hand at AX also.

We will be holding our Intro to DE at both Pocono events this year. We normally hold the Intro at local tracks (like Pocono and NJPM) on Saturday and we will only be at Pocono over the weekend this year.

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - Brian Minkin - 01-21-2014

The RTR speed council will meet in February and work out this years Introduction to DE schedule. Once we have details we will post them here and on the web site and DerGasser.

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - Marty Kocse - 03-24-2014

(01-21-2014, 08:44 PM)Brian Minkin Wrote: The RTR speed council will meet in February and work out this years Introduction to DE schedule. Once we have details we will post them here and on the web site and DerGasser.

FYI - Update. "Into to DE" will be held at ALL RTR "Friday" events with the exception of our first event of the year (Shen/Jeff in April). So, that means the program will be offered on Fridays at Pocono in May/Sept, Watkins Glen in July, and Summit Point in Oct. Remember, the "Intro to DE" program is now a full one-day event (with 4 driving sessions) as a Green driver. So, even if you have to take a vacation day, it is worth it for a full day of driving.

Thanks, Marty Kocse, RTR Track Chair

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - loucipo - 03-26-2014

Marty:
I heard about the "Beginners DE" in Watkins Glen 7/24 at my first RTR meeting (just joined). I have a friend that lives up that way and I would like to take my Cayman to WG to participate but I have a concern. I realize that people who are serious about DE get extra tires and wheels, change out their pads, etc. However, I am not planning to get serious with DE and make this investment but would like to do this beginner session while my tires and brakes are new. My concern is that I have been told the track conditions will damage my paint with flying chips, etc. My car has only 2,000 miles on it (brand new last July) and not a mark on it, and I am therefore reluctant to participate. Is this a legit concern on my part?

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - Phokaioglaukos - 03-26-2014

I'm not Marty, but I've done lots of DEs. No need for different tires, brake pads or anything for the Intro to DE. I did a number of DEs with a brand new car on the OEM tires and pads and had no issues. Race tracks, including WGI, are less likely to have stones or other debris on their surface than the highways you drive to get there. Tracks are carefully inspected and the flaggers watch for debris. That said, if you care about your paint a clear bra makes sense for ALL the driving you do. That dump truck two cars ahead of you on the highway is more likely to drop some stones that will chip your paint than a car you are following on the track will kick up a stone, but either could happen. Some DE drivers put "racer's tape," a kind of masking tape all over the nose of their car, but a clear bra looks better and will protect your paint on the street, too. Your dealer or other shops can help you with a clear bra.

Just FYI, common wisdom (to which I subscribe) encourage use of street tires for DEs for at least the first year. Those tires give more notice to the driver before they lose grip which they do slower and more predictably than R-compound tires. As long as you pay attention to wear of your brake pads you will be find with the street compound, too. For a one-day Intro experience I predict no issues at all.

What you should note is that WGI, as one of the older tracks we run, has less runoff in a number of places than more modern tracks. Your instructor will help you drive within your ability and you should not get the chance to meet any Armco. It is there, but if you keep your head straight it is not any closer than it is on many highways you drive without thinking about it. Just keep within your skills and you'll do fine. Your instructor and your VERY capable car will help with that!

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - Marty Kocse - 03-26-2014

(03-26-2014, 11:05 AM)Phokaioglaukos Wrote: I'm not Marty, but I've done lots of DEs. No need for different tires, brake pads or anything for the Intro to DE. I did a number of DEs with a brand new car on the OEM tires and pads and had no issues. Race tracks, including WGI, are less likely to have stones or other debris on their surface than the highways you drive to get there. Tracks are carefully inspected and the flaggers watch for debris. That said, if you care about your paint a clear bra makes sense for ALL the driving you do. That dump truck two cars ahead of you on the highway is more likely to drop some stones that will chip your paint than a car you are following on the track will kick up a stone, but either could happen. Some DE drivers put "racer's tape," a kind of masking tape all over the nose of their car, but a clear bra looks better and will protect your paint on the street, too. Your dealer or other shops can help you with a clear bra.

Just FYI, common wisdom (to which I subscribe) encourage use of street tires for DEs for at least the first year. Those tires give more notice to the driver before they lose grip which they do slower and more predictably than R-compound tires. As long as you pay attention to wear of your brake pads you will be find with the street compound, too. For a one-day Intro experience I predict no issues at all.

What you should note is that WGI, as one of the older tracks we run, has less runoff in a number of places than more modern tracks. Your instructor will help you drive within your ability and you should not get the chance to meet any Armco. It is there, but if you keep your head straight it is not any closer than it is on many highways you drive without thinking about it. Just keep within your skills and you'll do fine. Your instructor and your VERY capable car will help with that!

Ditto to what Chris said, but just one more thing to add. Using painters tape (no duct tape) and/or clear shelf paper (sticky platic wrap), you can temporarily protect the front of your car (bumper, hood, headlights, fenders, and mirrors) and around the edge of the wheel wells both front and rear to protect those areas and at a very reasonable cost - the clear bra is quite expensive but is the best long-term solution for all types of driving (street/track). You may think taping up the car sounds funny, but that's what a lot of people do for a track day as beginners. I did that to some extent for the first couple of years and it worked quite well. All those items can be put on and taken off without incident. I hope to see you out there with us.
Marty

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - saucerman - 03-26-2014

I'm a relative newbie to DE, I have done the intro course once or twice and a full day at Monticello and I too was in the same boat as you - very protective of my ride because it was my daily drive and I baby it where I can. On a day at the track you will lose a little bit of pad and rubber but you will hardly notice and it is so worth it. You will be so impressed with your car afterwards that you will realize where these cars actually belong and it's not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the sure-kill.

Our instructors are second to none and will keep you safe and help you take precautions. Put your worries behind you and put a smile on your face and have a blast. especially at the Glen.

RE: 2014 RTR DE Schedule - loucipo - 03-26-2014

Chris/Marty/Saucerman:
Thanks for those replies; you have put me at ease. I am definitely going to do Watkins Glen now. I know you have to get the car inspected first, etc. and I will start getting those dates together from the calendar so I don't miss them. i hope to see you there (if you are going to be there.)

I did the Porsche Road Show right after I got my car and drove their Carreras and Caymans around Lightning in NJ and just loved it. So i have a little idea of what this is going to be like. But that was PDK with no instructor. With my manual and a pro driver telling me what to do it will be a real learning experience. Thanks again. Lou