Riesentöter Forums
Lap Timers & Students - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Lap Timers & Students (/showthread.php?tid=362)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Tony356993 - 03-07-2007

What do you folks think about a students having timing eqt in the car that gives them feedback during the session?

I was approached last w/e @ SP from a student if it would be ok if he turned on his sport chrono stop watch during the run.

I said that I was not comfortable with it yet but if he showed me some very consistent smooth laps and hit every apex, I would consider his request. He did not ask again. 

I do not think it is bad for a student to evaluate his or her laps times but I think it is best done from the paddock or from their couch watching video.

I do not want this to sound too old man like "I walked up hill both ways to school with no shoes over shards of glass" but I never took a lap time for the 1st 5 years at the track.

One on my earliest instructors (Ed K) came up to me one day after a session at the Glen to ask me if I knew what my laps times were. I responded, "No, I never take them". Only then did I start looking at the data. I usually could tell as a student if I did well by the feedback of my instructor.

Isn't positive feedback enough for a student? How did any of us ever survive w/o a Hot Lap Timer?

- Sechsgang - 03-07-2007

coming from a students point of view...I dont think I would care about the time untill maybe the last session of a 2-3 day event...even then, I could DEFINITELY see how the "red mist" could cloud judgement and cause a problem...

- smankow - 03-07-2007

I waited until I moved into White before putting a video camera into my car.  I use the tapes to check my line, accuracy, etc.  And, when I have an instructor with me, I usually turn the camera off (or at least ask if they mind if I tape the session).

I feel that the video camera can tell me a bit more than simply a lap time as it tells me if I was in traffic, had operator error, etc.  Using both would probably provide the best results.

Steve

- Brian Minkin - 03-07-2007

I think timing of laps in the instructed groups would lead to some drivers focusing on lap times and not skill building.  Some would drive over their heads to beat the clock and their car controll skills are not well enough developed to respond if they are nearing or over the limit. 

That being said I do turn the timer on my camera on to get some idea of my own laptimes.  Its not precise but it does give me an indication of how I am continueing to improve my driving.

Hot lap timers are a grey area as DE is not supposed to be a timed event.  If it was a timed event then event insurance would be more expensive as it is for time trials and club racing and that would increase the cost of DE.

- Marty Kocse - 03-07-2007

I've been doing DE for 2 years now and never once felt the need to time my laps.  Call me "old school" but that's what I thought DE was all about.

- jakp993 - 03-07-2007

I don't have an issue with a student knowing their lap times.  It's a good way for them to guage improvement.,  However, I think it's a REALLY bad idea for a novice/beginner to see it in the car.  That's WAY too much temptation.

Most would focus on it and try to "go faster" vs. focus on the line.

So, have a buddy take their lap times & tell them at the end of the session.

Take care,
Jack

- michael lang - 03-08-2007

I have to admit, that thought has never crossed my mind until now. I don't even think I would care to worry about it at this point. Just being out there focusing on driving is all I would care about at this point. After a few years I may start to care. For now I think I would only be worried about getting it right before I starting thinking where I could shave a couple of tenths here or there.

- jakp993 - 03-08-2007

Mike,

You are not the norm Smile

Way too many people are way too worried about how fast they went, what lap times they did, how many people they passed, etc.  It's par for the course.

Take care,
Jack

- Racingswh - 03-08-2007

Darn it, gotta add my .02.  Big Grin  

I like lap times.  The reason I like lap times is because it tells me who is actually fast.   I like taking them while I watch different sessions.  We have some skilled drivers in fast cars in our region and it's a good way to gauge performance of different cars etc.   

I am not sure why anyone soley participating in DE needs an in car timer with display.   Lap times don't make run sessions fun or not.  A couple of years ago Paul and I had some great FUN  running together at Summit (actually we always have fun as this season was no different).  We were in White then, my lap times were 2-3 seconds slower than this past season and I didn't care at all what lap times I was turning.  It was just a blast!!!   Maybe not for Paul when the old white hooptie went past Confusedhock:.  lol, Just kidding Paul!!  As I recall the guy who is arguably the fastest in our club doesn't use a timer and as far as I know isn't aware of lap times until I tell him once in awhile.   He has 2-3 seconds on everyone else and even then it doesn't really matter to him. 

I use the DE events as test days now.  Shakedown for the car as well as my driving.  After changes to the car it's nice to know if there are improvements.  The bar I have set for car performance, driver performance, and the class shuffling they have done with us this season kind of requires me to know how fast I am going.  Still I have someone time my laps for me and let me know after the session.  At some point when my dash configuration changes I will probably have an in car lap time display but until then I am happy to find out after sessions are over.        

- Larry Herman - 03-08-2007

I don't see the value of a student knowing their lap times.  There is no basis for comparison (all DE cars being of differing capabilities) and no reason.  Driving better and getting more RPMS off of the corners (in terms of your personal best) is the way to measure progress.

For the record, I have held many track records in time trialing and I never knew how fast I was running until after we went out for our timed laps.  I would just go out & do my best.  If that was good enough to win....