Riesentöter Forums
GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? (/showthread.php?tid=3688)

Pages: 1 2

GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - betegh9 - 04-09-2014

So what is everyone doing to get ready for the next event (Hershey)? Are you getting tires with tread wear 140 or less? How about a 4 wheel alignment with some negative camber? Maybe practicing reflexes and reading cones on a course? Reading some books on the subject? Push ups and jogging? I know Dan runs through the course at about the same speed that he drives it. I usually change the oil, check for leaks and adjust tire pressures, then close my eyes and visualize the course.
What do you do? Chime in here and let us know!

RE: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - Craigs*84 - 04-09-2014

Oil/filter change, check my axles bolts and just a general poke around underneath...

and yogaCool

RE: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - 981 S - 04-09-2014

From a beginners perspective, I am looking at the Warminster event and determining what I need to do to improve at Hershey. The biggest challenge for me was remembering the course, I was a bit overwhelmed by everything in the beginning and drew a complete blank right off the starting line. I intend to arrive at Hershey early just to get a couple extra course walks in. I am also setting up goals for myself. The first goal is to see the course, and not just dodge the cones that are in front of me. Second goal is improve my driving, getting better arcs, seeing Nick's key cones and run the course the right way. I'm focusing on the basics, you gotta get good before you get fast.

Just want to thank everyone for their help and support on Sunday, everyone's efforts were appreciated.

RE: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - csmith74 - 04-09-2014

Hi Nick, I want to add to everyone; don't forget to have your brakes checked and flush out the lines with fresh fluid. Going fast is great, stopping afterwords can be helpful as well.

RE: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - betegh9 - 04-09-2014

(04-09-2014, 03:24 PM)csmith74 Wrote: Hi Nick, I want to add to everyone; don't forget to have your brakes checked and flush out the lines with fresh fluid. Going fast is great, stopping afterwords can be helpful as well.

Yes, flushing the brake fluid once a year is always advisable even though you shouldn't heat up the brakes much in an AX run. Track events though, brakes can take a bigger toll and fresh fluid is a must.

RE: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - JimWirt - 04-09-2014

Biggest mistake I made Sunday was walking course only once. I was lost first two runs. Usually i walk course enough that I can visualize the whole course in my head. That way I can work on knowing where to give it up a little and find places where I can go for it.

RE: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - SomebodyDial911 - 04-09-2014

I light candles all around my car, hand wash her, and rub her down with a soothing polish and wax. Then, I read to her poetry and cuddle with her interior. She then purrs like...well...a Porsche.

Seriously, though, I do very little between events. I'll fill my gas to 1 quarter tank...or, conversely, take a long drive until it is low so that I can cut weight.

In advance of Hershey, I will be having coil overs installed and lowering my car by 1.5 inches - lowering my center of gravity and stiffening my suspension. Watch out, Nick. Here I come!

D

Did someone keep Mr. Wirth from walking the course? Excuses are for looooooooooooers! bring your P car next time and see if you can beat me!........ and SHUT UP!

Dan,
hope you can beat me, but I will not give it up laying down. You are gona EARN it! I have been carrying the RTR flag for a number of years, and my 45 year old car is getting a little tired (not me). There is more to AX than meets the eye, suspension upgrade is just one of many. Don't forget to eat your spinach on Hershey morning!

RE: GETTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CAR READY? - JimWirt - 04-09-2014

Nick you still beat me by two tenths in that p car.