Riesentöter Forums
The Beast Report - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: The Beast Report (/showthread.php?tid=369)

- Tony356993 - 03-05-2007

Thanks to everyone that emailed me about the status of the car last w/e @ Summit Point. I though I would post a quick recap of the w/e.

Friday morning the track was wet since it rained overnight. I took the maiden run about 11am since most of the track was dry and I only had Hoosiers to run. I ran for about 10 minutes, took a break, then ran for 20 minutes and took another break. After each run I looked around, above and under the car for any signs that something was wrong. So far so good!

Friday afternoon I decided to really push the car for an entire run (30 minutes) and the car was fantastic. The weather was about 55 degrees and sunny and the track (still not paved or improved in any way) was pretty good. The beast was feeling good.

Saturday was more good news with the car performing nicely. I took two runs pretty hard and took one at about 6/10. Still good.

Sunday was really cold and very windy and the car was great until exiting turn one, the engine stalled and would not restart. After a few nitro tabs to calm my heart and a quick tow ride, I made it back to the trailer. Thanks to a few of the Potomac guys that calmed me down and told me that this was not a motor issue. On the way home I called our Porsche expert, and club President, Brian Minkin and asked for his opinion. He thought it was most probably the DME Relay.

Good news (and only about $20), Brian was right!!! A new relay (and a spare for the trailer) and the beast is back in business and ready for VIR.

Now we just need some good ole global warming.

Thanks again for all of the emails and calls about the w/e. I appreciate it.

- Marty Kocse - 03-05-2007

That's great news about the car.  Tongue

- ckramer - 03-05-2007

Tony,

Glad the car ran well.

I think most of the 993 crowd has been bitten by the dreaded DME faliure.  Always good to carry a spare!

Jack

- jakp993 - 03-05-2007

Oops, posted that last msg from Carol's account. 

Sorry,
Jack

- michael lang - 03-05-2007

My son & I were out there Sunday afternoon, that was the coldest I've ever been at Summit Point. Glad to hear that it wasn't anything real major, I'm sure when the engine stalled it must have been quite a scare when it wouldn't restart. Sorry I missed meeting any of you guys there this past w/e.

- Brian Minkin - 03-05-2007

Tony,

Glad to hear that it was the DME.  I am sure you are feeling much better now that the diagnosis is done and the Beast lives and breathes. 

- J.Smith - 03-06-2007

Tony,

That's great news. From the sound of the things after it died, it seemed like it might be a simple fix...glad to hear it was. I think I heard your sigh of relief in Allentown.

Nice seeing you again this weekend. Thanks for taxi service around winchester, and a big thanks for the ride along in the car on sunday. I had a great last session matching my previous best laps times at SP, all while obeying my imposed RPM limit. Must have been those pointers you gave me. Big Grin

See you at VIR!

- Tony356993 - 03-06-2007

Josh,

Thanks for the ride in black beauty. I enjoyed your car and your driving. You really know your car and get the most out of it. You will be tough to catch once you can really let her run.

- Tony356993 - 03-06-2007

Quote:I think most of the 993 crowd has been bitten by the dreaded DME faliure.  Always good to carry a spare!
I have a spare now.