Riesentöter Forums
Best advice or quote from your parents? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Best advice or quote from your parents? (/showthread.php?tid=371)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Tony356993 - 03-11-2007

Mike Lang made me laugh with a quote from his Dad in another post and I started thinking (sometimes I do that) about some stuff my Dad said to me over the years.

Here is a few:

"Don't ever pay for it, there are too many girls giving it away for free"

"It takes year to earn trust & respect, and a second to loose it all"

"Observe your surroundings and the setting. All the information you need is available without a word being spoken"

There are several kinds of folks on the world:

Folks that think in dollar increments. Folks that think in hundred dollar increments. Others think in thousand dollar increments. If you work hard and get some good luck and someday become a person that thinks in thousand dollar increments, don't ever forget that deep down inside you are a dollar increment guy.

Wedding day advice - Son, your a about to enter a long voyage as the captain of an ocean liner. Marriage is like a voyage. Your task is to get the freight and the crew from NYC to London. Some days the ship may veer a bit too far north and some day the ship may veer a few too far south. Don't worry about it for a second. Eventually you will get to London.

Like Mike stated, if we were only smart enough to listen and respect out parents when we were young enough to get into all the trouble. Big Grin

Any ones that stick in your mind?

- Graham - 03-11-2007

Here is one for you Tony... One thousand "Atta boy" s can be undone by one "Oh sh*t".

- Wellardmac - 03-11-2007

Good one!

Especially liked the comment about dollar increments. You don't get to the thousand dollar incremenents without worrying about the dollar increments. I'd add that you continue to enjoy the luxury of thinking about thousand dollar increments by worrying about the dollar increments. Smile

I have so many that I quote on a routine basis and they all escape me right now. I'll have to think about it.

- LouZ - 03-11-2007

True one from my mom back in the 60's:

If you are going to break the law - rob a bank - at least you can pay for a good lawyer.

I always follow mom's advice.Cool

- michael lang - 03-11-2007

Tony, I'm glad you got the comedy in what my dad had told me once. I didn't get it until after I bought something w/out telling Shelly about it first. At that moment when I told my wife about this purchase is the exact moment when the light went on.

Another thing he told me was when I started selling Christmas cards & candy in the winter and cutting grass in the summer, I was very young, 8-9 maybe. I remember we're sitting at the dinner table after he got home from work and he asked how my little business was coming along. I said that I was having trouble getting people to buy from me. He looked at me and said, "if you ever get anything from me it should be this, If you don't ask for it you're never going to get it" I have never forgotten those words, I would not be where I am today had he not told me that.

- Tony356993 - 03-11-2007

Quote:"If you don't ask for it you're never going to get it"
Very true!

- APXD 30 - 03-12-2007

Dad liked:

"Remember the golden rule, he who has the gold makes the rules."  

- Marty Kocse - 03-12-2007

One of my Dad's favorites:  "I JUST DON'T LIKE IT".

- jmr3 - 03-12-2007

"Don't ever even consider marriage until you are at least 30."  I ended up waiting until 34 and so far so good.    

- Porshagod - 03-13-2007

"A fast car, a loose woman, and a cold beer is all you REALLY need"!