Riesentöter Forums
Best advice or quote from your parents? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Best advice or quote from your parents? (/showthread.php?tid=371)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Tony356993 - 03-13-2007

Quote:"A fast car, a loose woman, and a cold beer is all you REALLY need"!
It that your advise, or were your advised? Big Grin

- JIMK - 05-24-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:"If you don't ask for it you're never going to get it"
Very true!

My Dad's advice is one I pass on to my 3 sons is similar.

"You'll never achieve what you don't try."

I remember him saying that as I was attempting to reassemble the rear axle on my sister's pinto that I broke while "learning" to drive a stick @ 16. I would 'o beat that Vega TOO!

He'd seen me taking it apart and struggling with it as the milk crates were sagging trying to support the car w/o jack stands.

He came out and was bailing me out with a helping hand when he dropped another pearl on me, "You make your own luck, think ahead and plan ahead. You may find yourself in a world a shit some day, but wouldn't be a bit easier for you if you a had a idea already for how to get out of it?"

Anyway we got the car back together before my sister returned from her long w/e at the shore.... she was never the wiser and doesn't read this forum.

You know, I'm proof reading this and realize that was the same car that I later broke the shift lever. Man I should have had a Jack Kramer talking abotu "guiding" the shifter not "Slamming" the shifter...

OBTW that car was totaled during my freshman year in college...

Yeah I was driving...

@#$%^& what a difference 30 years make!

- ccm911 - 05-24-2007

My father always said: "If you have the choice to hang with the pretty people or the ugly people, always pick the pretty people.  It doesn't cost any more".

- 356D - 05-28-2007

My Dad's "birds n bees" talk:

"Son, let me give you the best piece of advice you'll ever hear. Don't pull it out unless you have to pee. It's only gonna cause you grief."

- smankow - 05-31-2007

when asked why I needed to do something, Mom would reply:

"because I said so"

always worked for me.

- JIMK - 05-31-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:My father always said: "If you have the choice to hang with the pretty people or the ugly people, always pick the pretty people. It doesn't cost any more".

Speaking of cliques and peer pressure...

"It's better to lead the 'losers' than to follow the losers."

With the context being if you are with the "cool" crowd and they're are getting into stuff that compromise your values, it's better to speak up and walk away. Yours may be the voice that makes a difference.

- Wellardmac - 05-31-2007

smankow wrote:
Quote:when asked why I needed to do something, Mom would reply:

"because I said so"

always worked for me.

Whereas my father taught me that "because I said so" is never good enough and to question everything. "Be a leader, not a follower" was the extension of the same conversation.

- Sechsgang - 06-27-2007

something on the order of (kinda already said)
People can change the way they look...but stupidity lasts indefinitely...

too bad for me i guess...haha

- michael lang - 06-27-2007

One thing a father figure once said to me was to "make sure I always had a spare tire laying around". I fully understood once I got tired/bored of that girl then I knew what he was referring to. Now that I'm married and have to keep an eye on two little heads I'm running around with run-flats.

- ArtechnikA - 12-22-2007

"It's at times like these that I always wish I'd paid attention to what my father told me."
"What was that?"
"I don't know - I wasn't paying attention..."