Riesentöter Forums
Driving Simulator for the PC - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Driving Simulator for the PC (/showthread.php?tid=390)

Pages: 1 2

- Darren - 04-08-2007

I've been looking for a game in the endless sea of driving games that would have realistic physics and tracks that I know.  Then I would be "studying" when I play rather than goofing off.  Sure, I could play Nascar 2007 and "sort of" drive The Glen -- but without one of the most enjoyable parts, the Boot, what's the point?  It's like driving a non-turbo 944.  Then there are other games, like Project Gotham Racing (1 not 2) for the Xbox that are fun to play, but the physics are totally wrong.  They actually give you points for drifting and scrubbing off speed!  Gran Turismo on the Playstation and Forza on the Xbox are both great physics-wise, but other than Laguna Seca and Road Atlanta, neither of which are close to use, what tracks will most of us know? 

The game I found was GTR2 for the PC.  Out-of-the-box it has only tracks from the FIA GT series.  Initially the appeal to me was that I've driven on one of the tracks, Hockenheimring, and watched a race at Spa, so those tracks were a lot of fun to me.  Then the other night I realized that there are many many tracks, hundreds, available on the Internet, created by people who obviously have a Love of cars, and probably more silicon based friends than carbon based ones.

Reading online Driving Sim forums, somewhat appropriately, I found a downloadable version of the first track I ever drove -- Watkins Glen. (As an aside, what if I the first track I drove was Pocono North -- would my primary daily driver have 4 wheels instead of 6??).  Of course the quality of these tracks varies widely.  The Glen happens to be very well done.

I've also found track files for VIR, Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Road America, Mosport, and Limerock.  I seem to have an issue with getting VIR and Mid-Ohio to work that I'm currently working on.  The fact that people are out there continually creating/updating these tracks is just amazing to me.  I also downloaded the Australian GP add-on that I'm looking forward to trying out.

As an added bonus, I found that my Playstation 2 driving wheel works great with the PC!  The wheel I have is called the Driving Force Pro and for those of you who don't already have one, they are available on ebay for about $65.

As with any of the new generation games, this one is playable on the Internet.  At any time I can log on and see players around the world, gathered together preparing for a race.  These start as a practicing session, followed by qualifying and a race.  I envison an RTR room, at our favorite venue, Watkins Glen.  And yes, I'm taking the esses flat Smile

Any questions, let me know.  Any other driving games anyone enjoys??

Link to Amazon for GTR2 ($20!!):

http://tinyurl.com/2ptpfk

Link to Ebay for Driving Force Pro Wheel ($65):

http://tinyurl.com/2nws8n

-Darren

- Tony356993 - 04-09-2007

Darren,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link

for downloading the other tracks?

- Darren - 04-09-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Darren,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link

for downloading the other tracks?

Tony,

The forum I've been looking at is on www.rscnet.org. There is a specific focum for GTR2 tracks which is at:

http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1101

Darren

- JIMK - 04-09-2007

Darren wrote:
Quote:"what's the point? It's like driving a non-turbo 944."
Quote: -Darren
Hey I resemble that remark!Confusedhock:

- Tony356993 - 04-09-2007

I knew we'd be hearing from u Jim.

Thanks Darren.

- catchacab - 04-09-2007

Darren wrote:
Quote:I've been looking for a game in the endless sea of driving games that would have realistic physics and tracks that I know. Then I would be "studying" when I play rather than goofing off. Sure, I could play Nascar 2007 and "sort of" drive The Glen -- but without one of the most enjoyable parts, the Boot, what's the point? It's like driving a non-turbo 944.
-Darren

Darren,

How have you been?

Non-turbo 944's are enjoyable to drive, especially when you pass a Turbo 944 on the sole.

-Eric

- Darren - 04-09-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:Darren,

How have you been?

Non-turbo 944's are enjoyable to drive, especially when you pass a Turbo 944 on the sole.

-Eric
Wow you guys come out of the woodwork!

Of course I'm jusk poking fun -- I'm enjoying the heck out of my 142 hp Integra, so I understand the appeal of a low hp great handling car. It would be nice if more people went that way with DE since its much cheaper to go slower and you learn different things.

I was able to get Mid-Ohio to work on this game, very cool...

- JIMK - 04-09-2007

Darren wrote:
Quote:Wow you guys come out of the woodwork!

It's OK Darren, it was taken good-naturedly. Besides, there are manytimes that I have HP envy; I guess I need Eric's set-up because it is rare a close on ANYONE coming out of the toe of the boot. Turn 10 maybe. And its easy to "out brake someone" on the way to the bus stop; I wasn't going that fast anyway!:?

Jim

- catchacab - 04-09-2007

Just having some fun with you, Darren.

Jim, The fun with the 944NA, is being a better driver, faster on the corners (and there is still plenty of room for me to improve that), and out braking the other drivers.  The areas at the Glen that I would find myself catching other cars was going up the esses, the toe, and turns 9-11.  The braking zone in 8 is wavy and would upset my car (lock the rears) if I would brake to hard, as they would become unloaded due to the vavyness in the pavement.

Hope to see you at pocono.

-Eric

- Queboss - 04-10-2007

Eric,

I have a friend who might have a 944 motor. Let me know if you're interested and I can ask him about it.