Riesentöter Forums
For Instructors & Students - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: For Instructors & Students (/showthread.php?tid=3900)

For Instructors & Students - mwestboxster - 02-22-2015

I've been instructing with Riesentoter as will as other PCA clubs, BMW and another 1/2 dz or so other organizations. In the 12 years I've been instructing I think Riesentoter runs one of the best HPDE programs I've been involved with. That being said I think we can all agree there's always room for tweaking and improving.

One of the things I like that other some other clubs do:

A few clubs I instruct with email us our student assignments a few days in advance of the event. Included in this email is the students name, year make and model of their car. We also get their email contact info. I find this info really helpful. I've made up a simple questionnaire I email my student as an attachment. I use this to introduce myself. But I also ask basic questions of them. Such as: is this your first time on a track, if not, how many prior track days, where? Is this the same car you've driven on a track. Have you modified the car at all? Are you familiar with this area, do you need help with where to stay? Is anyone else coming with you, family, friends etc.
I try and give them as much info about what to expect as possible. I also stress the safety aspect as well as the fun they will have.

I give them some of my background and what to expect from me as well as what to expect at the track. I obviously give them my phone/email contact info.
Lastly we arrange a place to meet at the track so we don't waste any time searching for each other. This often leads to a few conversational emails back & forth and even a phone conversation or 2.

Each & every student I've done this with has very much appreciated me reaching out to them and thanked me for doing this. In addition to helping answer some unasked questions they said it made them feel like the organization actually took an interest in them.

From my standpoint, it allows me to get a bit of an understanding where they are coming from and also enables me to set a tone in their head as to how they day will go. Very often we have barely enough time to say hello to our students before jumping into their car. This gets a lot of the preliminary stuff out of the way and I think makes for a smoother & safer morning at the track.
I've never had a student not respond back to me and I've never had a student resent me contacting him/her. Every single one has been appreciative of my reaching out to them.

Over the years I've stayed in touch with most of my students. Even if it's only an occasional email asking me If I'll be at a track day they plan on attending.

I am curious what other instructors and students think of this.

RE: For Instructors & Students - Jack Ruse - 02-22-2015

Good suggestion. I have done that when I instructed with the Carolina's Region at VIR. I found emailing the student prior to the event very effective. You have several points I will add to my email the next time I get the opportunity, Thanks.
Jack

RE: For Instructors & Students - rhargy - 02-25-2015

Metro does this as well and it's certainly been a help to me in getting an early view of how to approach the event and I think the student gets a better experience because of it. And I agree it seems that the students are appreciative of the contact and the implicit interest it indicates.

I've had students send me video of subsequent events when I wasn't with them for review because they've felt they've had a quality experience.

I recognize it's a bit extra work, but if we can pull it off, I think it will pay dividends in providing a good experience.

RE: For Instructors & Students - rap - 02-26-2015

As a student in my 4th year I agree with all of the above points. I've always tried to help or explain what to do to new students. I remember well the feeling of being somewhat lost or confused as to what I was supposed to do in the beginning.
Perhaps another point might be considered. This type of reaching out can help ensure that newer participants have a fun and learning weekend which may prompt them to come back to a club event. It may even make them consider becoming a member. I had such a fun time during an event that it prompted me to join Riesentoter. Membership development should always be considered with these types of initiatives as it can have some much potential to help the club across the board.

RE: For Instructors & Students - mwestboxster - 02-26-2015

rap
You make a valid point of this being a way to increase membership in RTR. If this helps everyone's experience, student & instructor then everyone benefits, especially Reisentoter.
Hopefully going forward the people that make these decisions will consider making the contact info available to the instructors.

RE: For Instructors & Students - larrybard - 03-03-2015

At least in my first few years as a student -- before instructors got sick of me and my reputation preceded me? -- I was often contacted via email by instructors in advance, and they usually asked good questions about my car, experience, what I hoped to learn, etc. I always greatly appreciated the contact.

Shifting focus a bit, a few years ago I suggested that students complete instructor evaluation forms sometime after each event, so that, e.g., instructor and the chief instructor could get constructive feedback. Unfortunately nothing came of it. I still think it would be a good idea.

RE: For Instructors & Students - mwestboxster - 03-03-2015

larrybard, I agree about student/instructor evaluation forms. A few of the clubs I instruct with use them. They keep them in a binder organized by instructor for us to refer to. But also the chief instructor can give us important feedback very quickly.

RE: For Instructors & Students - Bill Lehman - 03-09-2015

Some regions I instruct with have a policy of instructor/student contact. I find it helpful, it removes stress for both the instructor and student.