Riesentöter Forums
Censorship on the forum - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Censorship on the forum (/showthread.php?tid=401)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- smankow - 03-13-2007

I went back through a thread or two that I had posting in only to find that several of my posts were deleted.  To make it worse, I wasn't consulted about the posts and involved a thread started by a moderator. 

Is this the type of censorship that we're looking for in this forum?  Who decides what stays/goes - the moderator?

I wonder how long this thread will stay on the forum.

- ccm911 - 03-14-2007

Steve:

I too, have not had a post show up.  When I contacted Brian Minkin, he said to add it back.  I did and it worked.

Hold the conspiracy theory.  It may just be a bug in the machine. Big Grin  These darn machines can get pretty fussy. 

- smankow - 03-14-2007

I'd like to believe that, but there were several posts that were made by me and Steve Meenan that were removed - look at the "tires in Doylestown" thread.

- Wellardmac - 03-14-2007

Steve,
The only posts of yours I've deleted recently were the ones in the Tire thread.

As for who decides what goes stays, yes, that would be the admins and moderators, that's our job. We do not need to consult posters to delete posts, otherwise the patients would be running the asylum.

Threads and posts do not get deleted unless the thread gets out of hand (such as the one I referenced above did) or violate forum rules.

If you have a problem, bring it to my attention and I will fix the situation. Software sometimes fails, as in the case that Chris mentioned.

smankow wrote:
Quote:I'd like to believe that, but there were several posts that were made by me and Steve Meenan that were removed - look at the "tires in Doylestown" thread.

Yup, I deleted those posts and closed the thread. That thread was the first time I've had to delete posts and close a thread since the forum opened.

A situation developed where people were getting pissy, insulting eachother and the situation was escalating.

I made the decision to take out the OT posts (including my own) and close the thread. The people slinging the insults (even though the comments were later told to be meant in jest, the readers of the thread were taking them seriously) were told to stop and the story ended there.

- TwentySix - 03-14-2007

Close the thread, ok, I can see that... didn't think it was a good thing to delete those posts.

FWIW, the moderators can also read your private messages...

elizabeth26 wrote:
Quote:Close the thread, ok, I can see that... didn't think it was a good thing to delete those posts.

FWIW, the moderators can also read your private messages...

Why would they want to? Most people are not that interesting. We outsource the PM reading to the CIA, FBI and NSA. Cool

Although, we do know what you had for dinner last night. Wink

- Tony356993 - 03-14-2007

Steve,

RELAX.

This forum is to be a fun place to go and to be quite frank, that thread and many of it's participants were over the line. Childish behavior requires parental (moderator) intervention. It is one thing to reaspectfully disagree with someone (as in the DerGasser post exchange) and another to make it personal. This forum is a bit different from other national and global forums since we actually know (or may eventually meet) the members. Everyone get out and drive your cars. It's been a long winter and the fresh air will do us all some good.

Thanks Tony - I couldn't have said it better myself.

- smankow - 03-14-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Steve,

RELAX.

This forum is to be a fun place to go and to be quite frank, that thread and many of it's participants were over the line. Childish behavior requires parental (moderator) intervention. It is one thing to reaspectfully disagree with someone (as in the DerGasser post exchange) and another to make it personal. This forum is a bit different from other national and global forums since we actually know (or may eventually meet) the members. Everyone get out and drive your cars. It's been a long winter and the fresh air will do us all some good.

Tony, I understand your thoughts, but I don't agree with selected posts being deleted. I don't know who was "talked to" about the posts, but I certainly wasn't. If someone took things the wrong way, well that's just too bad.

Unless the entire thread is deleted, I can't see why the moderator would delete certain posts, but not others. With the deletions, the thread makes no sense.

What other threads have been censored? Does a moderator have the right to censor what they don't like? If they censor, should someone be notified that their posts were "inappropriate" and removed?

Yes, it's been a long winter and the next month will be even longer. However, I can't deal with someone deciding on their own to remove my posts.

Steve