Riesentöter Forums
Censorship on the forum - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Censorship on the forum (/showthread.php?tid=401)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Brian Minkin - 03-14-2007

Steve,

There have been pictures posted in the random picture thread that I have deleted because I thought they would offend some members.  Myself I did not think they where that out of line but we have to look at the membership in general.  I am a bit more liberal them some. 

I was asked by the moderator and agreed with taking out the insult posts and closing that thread.  The flaming was getting out of hand.

- ccm911 - 03-14-2007

Darn.  Sorry I missed that fire-fight.  Sounds like it was a real wing-dinger.

- smankow - 03-14-2007

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Steve,

There have been pictures posted in the random picture thread that I have deleted because I thought they would offend some members. Myself I did not think they where that out of line but we have to look at the membership in general. I am a bit more liberal them some.

I was asked by the moderator and agreed with taking out the insult posts and closing that thread. The flaming was getting out of hand.

except that the moderator was involved in the thread (conflict of interest) and the remaining posts are not indicative of the "conversation". They solely result in the moderator appearing "pure" through the thread.

Bottom line, we can agree to disagree on this. I am not happy that my posts were removed while the moderator "edited" his. Maybe he needs to be lectured - oh, wait, I don't want to go there (excerpt of deleted post)

- catchacab - 03-14-2007

I was one of the posting members that was deleted.  Don't I believe my posts should have been deleted, but in the interest of what is best for our forum and club, I feel it was best. 

I feel the moderators and administrators were initially a bit lax by allowing another members posts that were derogatory, inflammatory and insulting to remain on this board until I responded to them in a way that was not inflammatory.  The interesting thing is the other member's post that were deleted after I responded is listed on the web site as a member of the Exec. Board.  Does this mean that a member can not disagree with a member of the Exec Board?  Probably not.  But I believe if I had posted the statements that member of the EB made, they would have been deleted immediately.

Waiting for this post to be deleted

-Eric

- catchacab - 03-14-2007

Just a follow up to my above post.

The moderator who deleted my posts did send me a message of what he was doing and why.  We did have a discussion about the thread.

I am fine with having all the removed posts returned to the forum, as long as all parties are ok with it.  I guess we must also agree to leave the topics in dispute behind us.

- Wellardmac - 03-14-2007

Eric,
You are exactly right. I should have shut down the thread sooner - in future I will.

At first I did not take the posts seriously (I just wrote it off as PMS), but when the posts continued to escalate, then I took action. We try to let things sort themselves out and not step in to take action prematurely (otherwise people claim censorship and heavyhandedness). In this case I've had lots of feedback that I did the right thing by shutting down the thread and deleting posts, so a few desenters do not bother me - you cannot please everyone all the time.

As for exec vs. non-exec. postings. I have to disgree there. Whether you're a member of the exec or not is irrelevent to me - my actions do not show favoritism and are independent of who you are. I've not met most of the exec and do not know most of them, other than occasional email exchanges. I care about only one thing and that's preserving the integrity of the forum and it's smooth running. Being a member of the exec will not get you out of being treated like anyone else... unless your name is Brian Minkin. Wink

I hope that helps clarify things.

catchacab wrote:
Quote:I was one of the posting members that was deleted. Don't I believe my posts should have been deleted, but in the interest of what is best for our forum and club, I feel it was best.

I feel the moderators and administrators were initially a bit lax by allowing another members posts that were derogatory, inflammatory and insulting to remain on this board until I responded to them in a way that was not inflammatory. The interesting thing is the other member's post that were deleted after I responded is listed on the web site as a member of the Exec. Board. Does this mean that a member can not disagree with a member of the Exec Board? Probably not. But I believe if I had posted the statements that member of the EB made, they would have been deleted immediately.

-Eric

Sorry, they're gone. Once I hit delete, they become stray electrons. Smile

catchacab wrote:
Quote:Just a follow up to my above post.

The moderator who deleted my posts did send me a message of what he was doing and why. We did have a discussion about the thread.

I am fine with having all the removed posts returned to the forum, as long as all parties are ok with it. I guess we must also agree to leave the topics in dispute behind us.

- Brian Minkin - 03-14-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:I was one of the posting members that was deleted. Don't I believe my posts should have been deleted, but in the interest of what is best for our forum and club, I feel it was best.

I feel the moderators and administrators were initially a bit lax by allowing another members posts that were derogatory, inflammatory and insulting to remain on this board until I responded to them in a way that was not inflammatory. The interesting thing is the other member's post that were deleted after I responded is listed on the web site as a member of the Exec. Board. Does this mean that a member can not disagree with a member of the Exec Board? Probably not. But I believe if I had posted the statements that member of the EB made, they would have been deleted immediately.

-Eric
The moderators and administrators are volunteers just as everyone on the exec is. We try to login to the forum as often as possible but it is sometimes once a day if we are busy with the rest of our lives. And god forbid sometimes when we are out of town we actually may not have Internet access. (Yep I refuse to pay for wireless access at hotels.) To delete posts also takes dialogue among the admins before a decision is made. So we may not be prompt in taking action. This is one of many issues of operating a moderated forum on the web with volunteers.

The forum is here for the benefit of RTR's members. Disagreement is healthy and expected. Flaming and name calling are not and violate the basic rules that define this forum. Was this censorship? I don't believe it is.

- Tony356993 - 03-14-2007

Quote:
Quote:Flaming and name calling are not and violate the basic rules that define this forum.
Quote:
Quote:Please read the following rules that have been adopted for the Riesentoter PCA Web forums. Failure to follow the rules and guidelines below may result in banning.

1. No flaming: debates are ok, but responding to threads just to incite or start an argument or conflict is not permitted. Personal attacks, if hostile in nature, are not allowed.
I think it was rule #1. Big Grin

When in doubt, re-read rule #1. Tongue

...and even if it's not explictly forbidden in the rules, but we as moderators think that it has crossed the line, then we will still take action.

...and as they say, "Rule # 10: The decision of the moderators is final." Smile

We don't take these actions lightly and email does fly back and forth in the background. Ultimately, like it or not, it comes down to our judgement as to what is best for the forum.