Riesentöter Forums
Censorship on the forum - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Censorship on the forum (/showthread.php?tid=401)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Phokaioglaukos - 03-17-2007

Mike Andrews wrote:
Quote:Wow, take a couple of days off to install a new OS and look what happens.....

I know you guys mentioned the dead horse thing, but I HAVE to add my two cents on this.

I don't think we should be removing anyone's posts. If someone violates the rules they should be "talked" to and then they can take down their post (their call). If they don't straighten up then they get a time out.

I have to admit that I have not read all of the tire thread which is the topic of this thread. But it wouldn't do any good as there's been bits and pieces pulled from it.

If a thread gets to the point where it is too whatever for the category it should get towed to Off Topics. Anyone in OT should be expecting things out of the norm.

Ok, I'm off my box....

I'm with Mike on this, for what it's worth. Locking a thread, talking with a poster to revise a post, issuing a warning in the thread are all ok in my book, but deleting a post without notice or making it clear that it was deleted (by deleting the text but leaving the shell there or otherwise) is not good behavior. We're feeling our way with this forum, and it's a very useful forum indeed, but I think Mike said it well.

As to the OT forum, I think anything not illegal should be ok there. Readers can be warned, but there should be a free for all there. All things considered, this is a pretty tame group, and I have NO problem with that.

- Porshagod - 03-17-2007

How 'bout them Phillies? Wink

- Tony356993 - 03-20-2007

Quote:Would you have said what you posted to the other person if you were standing face to face with him/her?
Jack - I agree. 

And the answer most certainly would have been NO for ALL of the guilty parties in the infamous thread.

If the forum is to be a fun and an adjunct to the club, why should a free for all be ok? Many folks at the track this w/e had an strong feeling about that thread and this issue. It was split about 50:50. Wouldn't that time and energy be better spent for the club in a constructive way?

Quote:Locking a thread, talking with a poster to revise a post, issuing a warning in the thread are all ok in my book, but deleting a post without notice or making it clear that it was deleted (by deleting the text but leaving the shell there or otherwise) is not good behavior.

Chris - I agree on the locking a thread if necessary. The moderators are doing the best they can and working extremely cheaply. Big Grin If anyone wants to volunteer for moderating duties, I'm sure Brian could use some help.

- catchacab - 03-20-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:Would you have said what you posted to the other person if you were standing face to face with him/her?
Jack - I agree.

And the answer most certainly would have been NO for ALL of the guilty parties in the infamous thread.
So who is guilty?

- michael lang - 03-21-2007

I've been watching this thread for awhile and the first thing I thought when Steve started the thread was this looks like it could be trouble. But as I watched how things panned out I started seeing both sides of opinion. Yeah, Steve has a point regardings his postings, the mods on the otherhand have to regulate how things go. Otherwise there'll be no customers causing the board to die. I don't believe that anyone is at fault or to blame for doing the wrong thing. I don't really care to get into what happened on the thread in question but I watched that one as well.

Steve, you said what you had to say

Moderators, you did what you guys had to do for the overall good of the board.

I appreciate that we can hoover that line of what is acceptable & not, but just like in life we have to respect certain boundaries and if we don't, there will be some type of penalty. Given the scenario, I was the original poster, I would have felt the same way Steve felt. And I understand that the mods have job to do. I don't want to see this group turn into some other groups where one comment turns into a free-for-all feeding frenzing (say that 5 times really fast) and everything gets way out of hand before the mods shut down the thread.

- ccm911 - 03-21-2007

Excellent points!

I can actually see both sides of this argument.  I can see where Steve wants his stuff up, and I can see where the moderators want to loosely enforce some semblence of civility.

But I think that everyone made it through this learning period pretty well.

Good job, folks.

- Mike Andrews - 03-21-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Excellent points!

I can actually see both sides of this argument. I can see where Steve wants his stuff up, and I can see where the moderators want to loosely enforce some semblence of civility.

But I think that everyone made it through this learning period pretty well.

Good job, folks.

Ok, I'll stir the pot... What did we learn?

- ccm911 - 03-21-2007

I think we learned that we can all agree to disagree in a civilized manner.  I think the moderators may be less likely to yank offensive posts, and I think that posters will think a bit before attacking others.

Personally, I would love to have a nasty old free-for-all, but I'll hold back.

Oh, and if you are free this Saturday(as well as any RTR folks) there is a motorcycle version of Super-Tech at a bike shop in Bridgeport called "Everything But The Bike".  It starts at 10:30.  I really want to et a bike out on the track.

- smankow - 03-21-2007

is this the proper order?

[Image: banghead.gif]  [Image: icon501] [Image: surrender.gif] [Image: bowdown.gif]

- catchacab - 03-21-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:I think we learned that we can all agree to disagree in a civilized manner. I think the moderators may be less likely to yank offensive posts, and I think that posters will think a bit before attacking others.

Personally, I would love to have a nasty old free-for-all, but I'll hold back.

Chris,

You BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, HONK.

-Not censored, just my car beeping at him.

It is a joke for all who are reading this. Just a little car humor.

LIGHTEN UP, YOUR CAR WILL GO FASTER!