Riesentöter Forums
Friends don't let friends drive their cars... - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Friends don't let friends drive their cars... (/showthread.php?tid=409)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Racingswh - 03-27-2007

Marty Kocse wrote:
Quote:
Quote:It seems that the ultra-high performance ferrari's have a tendency to wash out the front end at relatively low speed.

The reason for this is actually quite simple. Mid and rear engine cars have the tendency to understeer when the throttle is applied. That car has very large rear tires and quite small front's in comparison like a 911. When on the throttle especially hard and abrupt like I image the way he was doing it will unweight the front of the car effectively shrinking the already small front tires contact patch. That equals minimized front grip. When you try to turn the car it will not. The correct procedure is to "breathe" off the throttle and give the front tires back some grip. Even better is to be more judicious when you apply throttle in the first place. This will balance the car better and allow you to turn as well as accelerate the car. If you lift too abruptly you get the notorious 911 pendulum effect. All the weight shifts to the front. Front tires have lot's of grip and the back end goes sailing around. A front engine rear drive layout is less prone to this but exactly the same thing can happen in both scenarios given how abruptly the controls are used. The reason that both the mid and rear engine layouts work extremely well on the track is just because of the enhanced traction you get under acceleration. In other words they come off corners way hard!!! Once you have them pointed in the right direction you can pick up the throttle almost immediately. I can say for the time I had my 996 I never had the rear sliding more than the front. Always nice and controlled 4 wheel drifting as my car had no PSM. Always had great drive out of corners. That is until the motor scattered itself with hardly without many miles on it. That was fun.

Anyway, he probably could have been going 5 or 85 and using the controls as he did would have resulted in the same thing. Only the intensity of the impact would have changed. Luckily it doesn't look like he was injured.

Steve W. Hoagland

- STEVEMCMORN - 03-27-2007

If only he'd gone to autoX school!

Shall we send him a free invite??

http://rtr.mywowbb.com/forum3/382.html

- smankow - 03-27-2007

Marty Kocse wrote:
Quote:I'm guessing that at low speeds, the car doesn't hanlde worth a darn but over 150, it sticks to the road like glue. It didn't appear that he was going that fast when it happened.

I take it back... I just watched it again and he was starting to move pretty quick.
if you remember the incident on the PCH last year, the enzo likes to go flying over hills (and into telephone poles) long before it hits 150.

- Marty Kocse - 03-27-2007

smankow wrote:
Quote:Marty Kocse wrote:
Quote:I'm guessing that at low speeds, the car doesn't hanlde worth a darn but over 150, it sticks to the road like glue. It didn't appear that he was going that fast when it happened.

I take it back... I just watched it again and he was starting to move pretty quick.
if you remember the incident on the PCH last year, the enzo likes to go flying over hills (and into telephone poles) long before it hits 150.
I think Steffan Erikson was approaching 200 when he went airborne and the SLR Mclaren Mercedes was leading and kept right on going... No drama.

- Wellardmac - 03-27-2007

At least this one didn't break in two like all the other dead Enzo's I've seen.

It's really sad to see so many of the same car meeting the same fate... makes you ask if it's a bad car, or a car that attracts bad drivers.

- APXD 30 - 03-28-2007

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:At least this one didn't break in two like all the other dead Enzo's I've seen.

It's really sad to see so many of the same car meeting the same fate... makes you ask if it's a bad car, or a car that attracts bad drivers.
W-

I'm gonna go with great cars and bad drivers on this one.

- Wellardmac - 03-28-2007

APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:At least this one didn't break in two like all the other dead Enzo's I've seen.

W-

I'm gonna go with great cars and bad drivers on this one.

I'd like to hope so. Smile

- Graham - 03-28-2007

Anyway, that is 2 out of 400 Enzo's gone...

Who will be next...???...

I have to agree with Josh, fast cars attract bad drivers.

- Wellardmac - 03-28-2007

Graham wrote:
Quote:Anyway, that is 2 out of 400 Enzo's gone...

Who will be next...???...

I have to agree with Josh, fast cars attract bad drivers.

It's way more than 2. I've lost count of how many trashed Enzo's I've seen reported.

- stentech - 03-28-2007

The crash of the Enzo pales in comparison to the $ they would have spent on simmilar press time or advertising. When you turn a car fulll lock and it does not turn hit the skids transition to oversteer hit the gas and hit the guys holding the camera with cinders and tire rubber.  I dont agree about what he said "brothers can't drive" We have some that are great drivers in our club. The comment was un called for untrue, but it was funny!!

SM