Riesentöter Forums
PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT (/showthread.php?tid=4117)

Pages: 1 2 3

PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - mwestboxster - 03-18-2016

I'm considering getting a so called PORTABLE scissors lift. I'm getting too old and muscles and bones too creaky to get that floor jack under the car, jack up each corner 1 at a time, or find that sweet spot under the rear or somewhere in the front to lift 2 corners at a time, then maneuver the jack stands into position make sure I've got them all in the right spot so they don't pop through into the cars interior. Then crawl under and out from under 10 times because I forgot to get everything I'll need. Then lying on my back with my nose up against the cat or banging my head on something.

I've been researching these scissors lifts for years. I've finally gotten to the point that I'm definitely going to get 1. These things are sold by Harbor Freight, Northern Tool , Greg Smith and a host of others. All are basically the same. From what I can tell they may be the exact same units with different names on them. I'm looking at a 6000lb capacity. The brands are basically irrelevant for my post.
They all weigh around 1000 lbs. Here's the issue. The weight !

They all ship via common carriers. That means you most likely need the space for a 50" tractor trailer to get onto and out of your street. I don't know if anyone here has ever received a substantial delivery from a common carrier. But, their obligation more or less ends at the open end of the rear of their truck. They are under no obligation to assist you getting your stuff off their truck. If the guy is a nice guy & a helpful sort he may offer you some help. Other then that your on your own.
If you happen to own a forklift and have it hanging around your home, then you have no problems. But, if your not fortunate enough to have a forklift around then you're kind of screwed.

You can ask the tucking company delivering this thing to use a truck with motorized tail gate. This way your 1000 lb. delivery can at least be lowered to ground level. Hopefully not blocking traffic from coming down your street.

My question is, has anyone had anything like this delivered and short of a fork lift how did you manage to get it to the location you wanted.

I was thinking getting the floor jack under it somehow, lifting it high enough to get a couple of wheel dollies under it. But I was told, the package lies flat and no jack will get under it. Another option was get a flat bed tow truck to meet you when the delivery truck shows up and somehow winch the package onto the tow truck who then deposits it as close to where you want as possible. If it's fairly close, then you can un-box it and use it's portability capability to move it into your garage.

Has anyone gotten 1 of these and how did you manage to get it into your garage?
Thanks

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - 981 S - 03-19-2016

I would suggest renting a pallet jack. As long as your driveway isn't too steep, you could wheel it right into the garage. Companies like Sun Belt Rentals, or United rentals should have one available to rent.

PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Vidal - 03-19-2016

I have the Greg Smith unit and the delivery guy was generous enough to back the truck up the driveway, and lower the pallet onto the ground. From there, I just pulled the lift off the pallet and rolled it into my garage. As you noted in your post, the easiest thing will be to ensure they can deliver the pallet into your driveway but, recalling my conversations with GSmith at the time, they will not likely guarantee anything. They will just quote the terms, i.e. Delivery just to the curb.

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - mwestboxster - 03-19-2016

981S & Vidal
Thanks for your help. I think the pallet jack is the way to go. Never would have thought of that. Now just need to find a place where I can rent or borrow.

Vidal, My conversation with GSmith was much the same as yours. Trucker's responsibility ends at the end of his truck and no guarantees how the actual delivery will go.

When you say you just pulled it off of the pallet, how did you manage that?
I asked the GSmith about doing that then using the portability aspect of the lift to push it up my driveway. He said one person would not be able to get the lift off the pallet.
My driveway is not super steep but it's definitely up hill. If I managed to get the jack off the pallet I was hoping the unit's wheels would roll freely enough to push it up my driveway either alone or with some help.
But, in order to be sure I can get this thing off the street and onto my driveway I think the pallet jack would give me that assurance.

Aside from the logistics of getting the unit into my garage, how do you like it?
What are the pros and cons of this unit?
Are there any areas under the car you're unable to access?
I don't have my notes handy but I've compared about 6 of these units. I think the GSmith was most expensive but included shipping. They ship out of Delaware. I don't know what shipping costs would be for other units. All the units looked about the same. One difference I did see between units was the min height and the max height. The max height was a few inches difference and I don't think it would matter anyway because my garage door opener limits my max height anyway. The min is more of a concern I've got 1 car with barely 4" of clearance. My plan is to use 2"x10" x 10' or 12' wood plank to give me at least 6" of clearance. I guess if I had to I could use 2 planks of wood to get me an additional 4".

Did you consider other brands before deciding on the GSmith unit?

Please let me know how you like the lift.
Thanks

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - LouZ - 03-19-2016

Greg Smith is in Newark. If I'm not mistaken, you can pick up the lift right there! All that you need is a 1/2 ton pickup and they would throw it in the bed!

Where are you located? I'm sure that a call out to us club members would get you 6 sets of muscles to pull it off. It will cost you.....a case of cold ones and pizza.

Pros and cons, well they are great for a 911, since there is nothing in the middle, this could be a deal breaker for a Boxter. My 964 is lowered, so I made ramps as you described, 12' long. At the 10' mark, cut off the end on a 45 degree angle. Flip around the 2' piece and set it at 18" under the plank. Now you have a ramp to get up on the plank. Next, get some 2x4's and cut a bunch 10" long. Then put a 2x4 around every foot the rest of the way, and piece at the far end on the top to act as a wheel stop! Now you are high enough that the lift is flush with the top of the ramp. The last mod that I did was to cut off the square tube on the back of the lift that runs from side to side. It didn't affect any capacity or rigidity of the lift since I owned it for the past 10 years.

I find it indespensible for working on all of my cars and SUV. I also have some other tricks for the door opener to get you more lift height.

(03-19-2016, 12:16 PM)LouZ Wrote: Greg Smith is in Newark. If I'm not mistaken, you can pick up the lift right there! All that you need is a 1/2 ton pickup and they would throw it in the bed!

Where are you located? I'm sure that a call out to us club members would get you 6 sets of muscles to pull it off. It will cost you.....a case of cold ones and pizza.
Lou
I'm in Pennington NJ. Don't have a P/U, but not a bad option and always nice to have a few guys around for a car bonding session. But, I found that Home Depot rents pallet jacks for $30 per day or $21 for 4 hrs. This really seems like the simplest option. My plan is to check it out up close and personal and see if it's something I can handle as a 1 or 2 man job.

Pros and cons, well they are great for a 911, since there is nothing in the middle, this could be a deal breaker for a Boxter. My 964 is lowered, so I made ramps as you described, 12' long. At the 10' mark, cut off the end on a 45 degree angle. Flip around the 2' piece and set it at 18" under the plank. Now you have a ramp to get up on the plank. Next, get some 2x4's and cut a bunch 10" long. Then put a 2x4 around every foot the rest of the way, and piece at the far end on the top to act as a wheel stop! Now you are high enough that the lift is flush with the top of the ramp. The last mod that I did was to cut off the square tube on the back of the lift that runs from side to side. It didn't affect any capacity or rigidity of the lift since I owned it for the past 10 years.

Thanks for all the info about your ramp set up. Did you get the lift sold by Greg Smith or another brand. It's obvious which ever one you got you really like it. I may PM you re:your garage door opener tricks once I eventually get it.

I first need to figure out what to do with 3 kayaks I've suspended from my ceiling on one wall taking up 27" of space on that side.
Thanks

I find it indespensible for working on all of my cars and SUV. I also have some other tricks for the door opener to get you more lift height.

PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Vidal - 03-19-2016

My driveway is flat, unlike yours, so that is definitely something to keep in mind. As for getting the jack off the pallet, I just pulled it off the wood pallet (with some help from the truck driver), and then just wheeled it into my garage. Since the driver dropped it off in front of the garage door, I didn't have to drag it too far.

I too made some ramps for my 911 Cab. I can send you pics when I get home.

I confirmed the Home Depot 3 miles from me rents pallet jacks (more like a pallet jack) but they have them. Thanks 981S, no way I ever would have thought of that. Next question I have: I measured the distance from the wall to appox where the car would be on the lift and I have about 25". It's the same on both sides of my garage. Any idea if that would pose a problem?

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - LouZ - 03-19-2016

(03-19-2016, 02:00 PM)mwestboxster Wrote: I confirmed the Home Depot 3 miles from me rents pallet jacks (more like a pallet jack) but they have them. Thanks 981S, no way I ever would have thought of that. Next question I have: I measured the distance from the wall to appox where the car would be on the lift and I have about 25". It's the same on both sides of my garage. Any idea if that would pose a problem?

If you are referring to the sides, then it is plenty since the lift is less than the width of the wheels.

If you are concerned about the length from the front bumper to the wall, it is also ok! The power pack is connected by hoses so the 25" space it plenty of room, since it is less than 1'.

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Vidal - 03-19-2016

mwest,

I just sent a reply with pics of the ramps, but for some reason it does not appear to be showing up in this thread (Admin?). PM me with your e-mail and I will send you the pictures.