Riesentöter Forums
PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT (/showthread.php?tid=4117)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - LouZ - 03-19-2016

[attachment=3888]
[attachment=3887][attachment=3887]

Here are some pix from my engine drop 5 years ago.

[attachment=3889]

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Vidal - 03-19-2016

Trying again to post those pics of the ramps. Lou, I notice you don't have any in your pics. Do you have them and just moved them out once the car was in the air, or, is your lift low enough that you don't need ramps?

[Image: 101_19_03_16_1_05_05.jpeg]

[Image: 101_19_03_16_1_07_25.jpeg]

[Image: 101_19_03_16_1_08_03.jpeg]

The passenger side ramp is removed in those pix. Then, I can roll in and out with ease.

I also made one more mod to the ramps. Once I positioned them where I wanted them, I drilled thru the wood and concrete( yea, 2 different bits), then I drop in a long lag bolt thru both to anchor the ramp so it won't slide out of position.

PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Vidal - 03-19-2016

In my case, the carriage bolts are just long enough for the wood, not into the floor. I find they don't move when driving on and off, but I marked the floor so I can move them if needed. In fact, I have moved them because I have used the lift on my other cars.

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - mwestboxster - 03-19-2016

(03-19-2016, 02:42 PM)LouZ Wrote:
(03-19-2016, 02:00 PM)mwestboxster Wrote: I confirmed the Home Depot 3 miles from me rents pallet jacks (more like a pallet jack) but they have them. Thanks 981S, no way I ever would have thought of that. Next question I have: I measured the distance from the wall to appox where the car would be on the lift and I have about 25". It's the same on both sides of my garage. Any idea if that would pose a problem?

If you are referring to the sides, then it is plenty since the lift is less than the width of the wheels.

If you are concerned about the length from the front bumper to the wall, it is also ok! The power pack is connected by hoses so the 25" space it plenty of room, since it is less than 1'.

What I'm referring to is the appox distance from the wall to where the car would be. I'd have appox 2' between the wall and the wheels. I measured the distance from the fenders front / rear to the garage wall. The car on the lift would be positioned about where it is now. I'd have about 2' on the pass side to remove wheels & work on brakes. I am wondering if anyone else is working in a similar tight space & is it a problem working in that limited space:

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - Vidal - 03-20-2016

mwest, e-mail was sent.

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - LouZ - 03-20-2016

Take a look at my pix from the back, you can see how close the driver's side is to the wall.

A little inconvenient for pulling the wheel off, then there is sufficient room to work on the brakes and suspension.

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - mwestboxster - 03-20-2016

Lou
Thanks very much for the pictures.
Looks like you've got about the same amount of space as I do from the wall.
Next step for me is to find a new spot for the kayaks, then I'm good to go.
Now it's a matter of deciding which lift to get. The Atlas TD6MR is the one the G Smith sells but it's min. height is 5.75". The BendPak LR60 has a minimum of 4". My track car is lowered to 4". I plan on using a ramp set up similar to yours though not that elaborate.
All the other lift min. heights range from: 4.75"-5.75" with the exception of the Harbor Freight lift at 7" minimum.
They all have a max height of around 4' give or take a few inches. With my garage limitations I'd never use the full 4' anyway.
Thanks very much to everyone for helping me out and Lou thanks very much for the pictures.

RE: PORTABLE SCISSORS LIFT - LouZ - 03-20-2016

Again, in the pix, you can see how much room I still have to the underside of the garage door.

I got a good rolling stool and it's set around 18" high. With that setting, I can roll under the car and my head clears the underside. I tell people" why should I STAND under the car and work with my hands over my head, when I can SIT!".