Riesentöter Forums
This is really scary - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: This is really scary (/showthread.php?tid=415)

- michael lang - 04-02-2007

I picked this up on the net this morning, I feel really bad for this guy. Seems his car fell right onto his face which was the only part of his body under the car. I always put the wheels under the side rails every time I put my car up on jack stands. DIY basic training.

Check it out

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=70117

- Wellardmac - 04-03-2007

Okay, that was pretty scary. Taught me a good lesson in which stands to use. Sad

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-03-2007

I have the Harbor Freight click style jack stands. They are going in the trash tonight and I'm getting new ones. Where are you getting yours?

- Wellardmac - 04-03-2007

I don't know. I had been shopping and was going to get a set like that - now I'm going to have to start looking again. Sad

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-03-2007

I am mystified. In that thread there is disagreement about whether 3- or 4-leg stands are safer. Someone said that OSHA requires pin-locking stands and not ratchet-locking stands, but I cannot find any standard for jack stands other than one in Australia that costs $50 to buy (the standard, not the stand) and a ANSI PALD (portable automotive lift device) standard that is claimed to be met by all sorts of ratchet stands.

Griot's garage sells a 4-leg stand with ratchets, and claims that it locks well, with the teeth engaging fully. That seems to be failure point with the stands in the thread. Snap-On sells a similar one and also an aluminum pin locking stand. (I think the aluminum stand would be good to take to the track--it must be lighter.)

Accordingly, I guess I will inspect my stands closely to see how well the ratchets lock into position. My car is low enough that I think I jsut use the stands fully retracted, so the ratchet may not be an issue. I will also inspect them closely before each use. I flushed my brake fluid on Sunday with the car up on four jack stands and all the wheels off.... Maybe I should think of a scissors lift, but then I'd need ramps to drive over the lift. My garage does not have enough headroom for a real lift.

- ccm911 - 04-03-2007

We use the large stands fom Sears.  When we put the engine back in my car, we rally had to shake everything around to the point that the car was moving, yet it held firm.  We have also used these stands at several other engine drops and they worked fine.  Just get the large size and you will be fine.

- michael lang - 04-03-2007

I was a little confused at first as well about which jackstands are best. It appears from a stability standpoint that the 3-legged stands are better. I really have no idea. I have always put the wheels under my car when I lift it up for fear of something like that happening. I do know I need to change my jackstands because I like most have the ratchet style locks. I might be able to modify the lift arms to allow me to insert a steel dow rod as a secondary locking mechanism. I check tonight when I get home.

- Tony356993 - 04-03-2007

I saw a guy at Mid Ohio with 12" x 12" x 16" blocks of wood and he would rest his car on these when he was working under it. These were solid pieces of timber and he had nothces in them that had the block contack the car perfectly. I asked him abouth them and he said, "jack stands suck". Maybe I'll get some of my Amish customers to save some new barn timber and make a set for myself. I hope the guy is ok.

- dmano - 04-03-2007

The best jack stands you will ever buy are Lincoln's and you will never need another set they will last many life times. I have my grandfathers set of 4 and they are perfect.  I also bught a second set for the track that come with me. They are the perfered jack stands of most pro racers I know. I got mine from my Snap On Tools dealer. I also have a Lincoln jack that is the best I have ever found. Hope this helps. Jack stands are like helmets buy a $2 helmet for a $2 head. Good stands are priceless.