Riesentöter Forums
Speeding Ticket - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Speeding Ticket (/showthread.php?tid=432)

Pages: 1 2 3

- tatios - 03-31-2007

A recent trip to Florida for the Amelia Island Concours d' Elegance and Daytona Bike Week earned me a citation in Nassau County, FL.  I was driving my tow vehicle in the little town of Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island when pulled over by Trooper Healey, number one ticket writer for all of "G" troop.  I got screwed for about 15 MPH extra without going into the details I was wondering if anyone in the club knows a lawyer in the Jacksonville area who would handle the ticket.  I am hoping to get them to drop the 4 points.  Florida has some strange traffic laws.  If you lose contesting a ticket it will cost you an extra two hundred bucks. I bet it doesn't encourage many people to contest a ticket especially from out of state.

- Marty Kocse - 03-31-2007

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I did stay at a "Holiday Inn Express" last night...

I'm pretty sure out of state points apply to your state because each state has a different scale for certain violations.  So, you can't simply transfer the points from one state to another.  On top of that, I have seen first hand, individuals who have gotten several tickets out of state that have never shown up on their record in PA.

- Tony356993 - 04-01-2007

I'm with Marty.

Just send them a check and all will be good. It will cost you more in legal/travel/phone/fax bills then it would to send the check. It's only money. Good luck.

- Wellardmac - 04-01-2007

I've never heard of point transferring from out of state, unless a particular state has a reciprocity arrangement with yours (like the DLC that PA has with it's neighboring states).

You have no drivers license in Florida, so BFD (for them) if they give you points on a license that doesn't exist. The worst they can do it fine you.

...the worse thing that will happen is if your insurance company finds out about it and raises your rates - or if you change insurance companies and have to declare the ticket (within 3 years of getting it).

- Graham - 04-01-2007

Having experienced a few 'out of State speeding tickets" myself, the best advise I can give is to pay the fine, especially since FL is not on the doorstep and hope the points don't show up. 

Some States have agreements with other States and the points transfer.  In this case, if you pay it, and even if the States have an agreement, they might not bother with the transfer.

-G

- tatios - 04-01-2007

Part of the problem is I have a CDL and the points are supposed to go into a national data base.  I am not sure if they will as I was not driving a commercial vehicle at the time.  The only real issue with the points is dealing with your insurance company.  The easiest thing to do is pay the fine and take it up the tail pipe, thats why less than 5% of all traffic citations get contested.  The system is seriously flawed...

I wish the bastards would put up a sign saying they need donations rather than creating a nice big bogus ticket that will net them a small amount.

- Wellardmac - 04-01-2007

Ahh, the CDL is a complication. I agree on the insurance aspect. I got a ticket in Maine a few months before I came to PA... I was afraid that the ticket would make it to my MA record, then follow me to PA. It never did.

The best you can do is hope that it never makes it onto your record.

Sad

- Tony356993 - 04-01-2007

Quote: I wish the bastards would put up a sign saying they need donations rather than creating a nice big bogus ticket that will net them a small amount.

The bigger the event and the smaller of the town = revenue for the year for the community.

Speeding. Parking Tickets. Disorderly Conduct (never happend to me Big Grin). Other public acts Wink, etc. They all fund these lil' towns. They know you will just pay the fine.

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-01-2007

All states report to all states every violation. That may be a bit of an overstatement, but it's largely true. For those of us with PA licences, it's good to know that PA does not pay any attention to a citation you receive in another state unless it's a serious one, such as vehicular homicide. Speeding is not a serious offence on its own. So FL will report to PA, but PA will not note it on your record. Insurance companies look just to your home state record, so if PA ignores your speeding your insurance company will not know about it.

That is the story I found when I tried to figure out what would happen to me when I got caught by laser in NY at 75 in a 55 zone on the way to the Glen (rushing to a track walk that was called on account of rain). I do not deal with such matters professionally.

Couple of caveats. Not sure if that's the rule for CDL holders, too, and when you apply for a new insurance policy the questionnaire may ask you for more details. Answer questionnaires truthfully, otherwise it can be a basis for denial of coverage.

- Marty Kocse - 04-02-2007

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:All states report to all states every violation. That may be a bit of an overstatement, but it's largely true. For those of us with PA licences, it's good to know that PA does not pay any attention to a citation you receive in another state unless it's a serious one, such as vehicular homicide. Speeding is not a serious offence on its own. So FL will report to PA, but PA will not note it on your record. Insurance companies look just to your home state record, so if PA ignores your speeding your insurance company will not know about it.

That is the story I found when I tried to figure out what would happen to me when I got caught by laser in NY at 75 in a 55 zone on the way to the Glen (rushing to a track walk that was called on account of rain). I do not deal with such matters professionally.

Couple of caveats. Not sure if that's the rule for CDL holders, too, and when you apply for a new insurance policy the questionnaire may ask you for more details. Answer questionnaires truthfully, otherwise it can be a basis for denial of coverage.
Have you checked your driving record on-line? I have nothing on my record for the last 10 years and maybe I should have...