Riesentöter Forums
Trailer - Electric Brakes Not Working - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Trailer - Electric Brakes Not Working (/showthread.php?tid=439)

- LouZ - 04-15-2007

I was setting up my trailer for the first time since I got it. Measured the tongue weight at 475#, so that was good.

The problem is that when I turned on the Prodigy, it kept displaying that there was NO TRAILER hooked up! After a lot of troubleshooting with a digital ammeter, I determined that all of the connections on the trailer are "hot", I even get all of the lights, signals and brake lights working on the trailer.

On the Explorer, the 7 pin connector has power to all but 2 connectors, with (1) being the electric brake circuit. I've tried the circuit with and without the Prodigy, both to no avail.

Any additional thoughts to troubleshoot: 1) the Explorer wiring, 2) the Prodigy, 3) the electric brakes (I pulled the disconnect pin, and voltage from the trailer battery was present to the trailer brake circuit).

- Brian Minkin - 04-15-2007

Lou,

It would appear

A: the controller is not hooked up to the wiring harness correctly

or

B: That the harness of the trailer has a break in it beyond the connector. It should go to a junction terminal under the trailer.

You can check the trailer harness with an ohm metter for continuity but I am not sure how the controller works and if will will send out voltage when the brakes are actuated if it does not sense the trailer. Also check the trailer connector for corrosion, I had that problem with the one on my old trailex only it was the brake lights that would not work.

- LouZ - 04-15-2007

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Lou,

It would appear

A: the controller is not hooked up to the wiring harness correctly
Quote:Rechecked the wiring harness: OK - Prodigy harness to Ford connector plug under dash

or

B: That the harness of the trailer has a break in it beyond the connector. It should go to a junction terminal under the trailer.

You can check the trailer harness with an ohm metter for continuity
Quote:Continuity checks out from trailer plug to J-box
Quote:but I am not sure how the controller works and if will will send out voltage when the brakes are actuated if it does not sense the trailer.
Quote:Also check the trailer connector for corrosion, I had that problem with the one on my old trailex only it was the brake lights that would not work.
Quote:Both Explorer and trailer plugs are free of any corrosion
The next thing I'm going to try - put +12V to the "Blue" wire (Electric brake OUTPUT) and then check for Voltage at truck connector! I just have to keep thinking the troubleshooting procedure through!

- smankow - 04-18-2007

Lou, I had a similar issue getting a "NC" reading from the prodigy.  After several return trips to the trailer store, we (read they) determined that I kept tripping the ground on the electric brakes.  I think that I still had lights and turn signals.

The solution to the problem was using water-tight insulated connectors.  Apparently, the prodigy likes a strong signal from the brakes and would "trip" the ground if it wasn't right.  This seems to have corrected the problem.

Lou, call me if this doesn't work.

Steve

- pnolan - 04-19-2007

If you need professional help, Stolfutz (spelling?) RV & Marine on 202 in West Chester could probably help.  You continue on 202 S past the Westtown Road exit to Dougherty Automotive and they are on the left a couple of miles down.

Just dropped my trailer off there for brake issues after dropping off my car to Dougherty's and asked Bill who they recommend for trailer issues.

Pat

- LouZ - 04-20-2007

Thanks for all of the replys here and on RL. Turns out that the connector  in the junction box from the trailer plug to the brake was intermittent. A snip of the wires and a new connector fixed the problem, NOW I HAVE BRAKES!

- smankow - 04-20-2007

that's great news, Lou.

See you on Friday/Saturday.

Steve