Riesentöter Forums
Macan GTS Rear Rotor Replacement? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Macan GTS Rear Rotor Replacement? (/showthread.php?tid=4463)

Macan GTS Rear Rotor Replacement? - Wellardmac - 03-27-2020

Guys, I'm looking to replace the rear rotors on my Macan.

All the videos online show pad and rotor replacement. Is it possible to remove the calipers off the rotor without complete disassembly and replace the rotors alone? I'm thinking if I remove the two bolts holding on the pad holder at the back that the entire caliper will just lift off so that I can do the rotors without having to mess with anything else. Am I looking at this the right way, or is there more to it?

Thanks!

RE: Macan GTS Rear Rotor Replacement? - LouZ - 03-27-2020

I am not 100% familiar with the Macan, however, generally you can remove the caliper and replace the rotor.

In order to remove the calipers, you will need to spread the brake pads, that is push them back from the rotor. The distance that they need to go back will depend if there is a lip on the top of the existing rotor due to wear.

Once you reassemble everything, you will need to push on the brake pedal a few times to reseat the pads. You will also need to “bed“ the pads to the new rotor.

RE: Macan GTS Rear Rotor Replacement? - Wellardmac - 03-27-2020

(03-27-2020, 11:46 AM)LouZ Wrote: I am not 100% familiar with the Macan, however, generally you can remove the caliper and replace the rotor.

In order to remove the calipers, you will need to spread the brake pads, that is push them back from the rotor. The distance that they need to go back will depend if there is a lip on the top of the existing rotor due to wear.

Once you reassemble everything, you will need to push on the brake pedal a few times to reseat the pads. You will also need to “bed“ the pads to the new rotor.

Thanks!

So, remove the retaining bolts, spread the pads with a screwdriver and lift off the caliper? Anything else I need to take into account?

The rotors do have a lip, but the pads are almost new. I just bought the car and the previous owner should have done them together, but no biggie. I have the rotors and am hoping I can do this easily. I'm just hoping to avoid having to mess with pulling the caliper apart to get to the rotor and all the videos show combined brake/rotor jobs and I was pretty sure that there was an easier way.

RE: Macan GTS Rear Rotor Replacement? - LouZ - 03-30-2020

Using a screwdriver to spread the pads could cause some of the pad material to break off. Try using a putty knife first and then put in the screwdriver between it and the rotor to pry it back.

After that, you should be able to just unbolt the caliper and remove the entire assembly.

Remember to clean the rotor surface with some brake cleaner after you install and remove any oil’s or solvent on it.

Finally remember to pump the brake pedal to reseat the pads then take it out on the road in bed in the pads to the rotor.

RE: Macan GTS Rear Rotor Replacement? - Wellardmac - 03-30-2020

(03-30-2020, 12:05 PM)LouZ Wrote: Using a screwdriver to spread the pads could cause some of the pad material to break off. Try using a putty knife first and then put in the screwdriver between it and the rotor to pry it back.

After that, you should be able to just unbolt the caliper and remove the entire assembly.

Remember to clean the rotor surface with some brake cleaner after you install and remove any oil’s or solvent on it.

Finally remember to pump the brake pedal to reseat the pads then take it out on the road in bed in the pads to the rotor.

Thanks Lou - appreciate the guidance!