Riesentöter Forums
993 Tire reccomendations - Please - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 993 Tire reccomendations - Please (/showthread.php?tid=487)

- JeffConklin - 04-30-2007

I've got a '95 narrow body 993 with 7 inch front and 10 inch rear twists wrapped with toyo t1-r 225Front  and 265Rear .  I hate these tires - greasy on the track.  Had my instructor take a run to see what I was talking about  - he was "shocked".  Not that they were dangerous but they would make a great tire for drift competitions. Played with tire pressures etc all weekend at the track  ,a little improvement but still not acceptable.  Anyway..I'm taking the opportunity to get a dedicated set of track wheels.  I'm thinking 8x18 and 10x18 CCW wheels. 

My question is what tire ( Not R compound) and what sizes. 

Thanks

Jeff

- RallyJon - 04-30-2007

Michelin PS2s are wonderful all-around tires. I have them on the 993 now and they do everything well. Light, ride great, quiet and still have very good turn-in and excellent stick.

For a step toward the hard-core, the front runners are Bridgestone RE-01R and Yoko Advan Neova AD07. Both are stiff, sticky and heavy.

I think everyone runs 225/40 and 265/35 on 8s and 10s on narrow bodies. I'm sure you can squeeze more if you're careful with offsets and roll the fenders for a track car.

- jakp993 - 04-30-2007

Jeff,

I have the Michelin PS2s on our BoxsterS and would agree they make a very good street tire.  I have never run them on the track so I can't comment there.

I have 18x8, 18x10's (one set of Fikse's and one set of Turbo Twist hollow spokes) for my 993.  I run 245/35 and 285/30 Hoosiers and I have not had to roll my fenders.  But, I have 3 degrees of neg camber that helps with fender clearance.

Take care,
Jack

- bobt993 - 04-30-2007

Ditto what Jack said.  225 for street is fine,  if you can get 235's use them as turn-in and  grip on braking is improvement dramatically.  You will also push to understeer with 225's on the front.  Watch the rear oil lines on the passenger side for inside rubbing if you have stock bushings. 

- JeffConklin - 05-01-2007

Thanks guys.  I've got to figure out if I can get 245/285 in there.  I don't mind rolling the fenders.  Just gotta get it done by Pocono.

Jeff

- jakp993 - 05-01-2007

JeffConklin wrote:
Quote:Thanks guys. I've got to figure out if I can get 245/285 in there. I don't mind rolling the fenders. Just gotta get it done by Pocono.

Jeff
Jeff,

Why don't you stop by. I have two sets of 245/285's in the garage. We can test fit them on your car & see if there are any issues.

I'm around until Friday and then out of town until next Friday.

Jack

- bobt993 - 05-01-2007

Jeff, the 285 will fit with a 65mm offset rim, especially with the fenders rolled.  You may actually need a 5mm wheel spacer to avoid rubbing on the oil lines passenger side.  245/35 will work, but if your not running Hoosiers, I would expect  235 would give you a little more room.  Check the actual tire width on Tirerack.  245's in one brand can be vastly different in another in width. (so why have sizes at all???) Watch return oil lines upper fender well front cooler, this can also rub.  Good luck. 

- JeffConklin - 05-01-2007

Jack

Thanks - I will.  I'll call and see what works for you.  Hey I can even get those mufflers I've been promising to pick up.

I'll call Wednesday

Jeff