Riesentöter Forums
When autocross goes bad - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: When autocross goes bad (/showthread.php?tid=499)

Pages: 1 2 3

- bobt993 - 04-23-2007

Sad

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3197431

It can happen, even with cones and very bad planning/ judgement. :X

- betegh9 - 04-24-2007

You know what they say?
If AX were any easier..............it would be called "ROAD RACING"

S--T HAPPENS!

- Darren - 04-24-2007

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:You know what they say?

S--T HAPPENS!
Wow Nick, autox is harder than road racing now??? Autox compared to road racing is like golf is to basketball. I'd be great at basketball if I were the only one on the court! Tongue

- Tony356993 - 04-25-2007

Not good. I thought it was safer to AX. Wink

- betegh9 - 04-25-2007

Darren wrote:
Quote:betegh9 wrote:
Quote:You know what they say?

S--T HAPPENS!
Wow Nick, autox is harder than road racing now??? Autox compared to road racing is like golf is to basketball. I'd be great at basketball if I were the only one on the court! Tongue

Daren! How can you compare! Lets look at Pocono North, a lap is about 60+ seconds, 5 turns..........One could take a nap between turns.

In AX at the meadowlands, last Sunday, FTD was 51+ seconds. I counted 20 turns, that is an average of one per every 2.5 seconds.

..........the North course is the same year after year after year, AX is different every Sunday. Come on out next Sunday and show me how easy it is!

- Darren - 04-25-2007

Pocono North isn't a track, it's so boring its like a big autox.  So lets take Shenandoah Circuit for example, 1:45 and 14 turns.  That's 1 turn every 7.5 seconds, and thats leaving out the fact that quite a bit of the time you spend on the front and back straights.  The same is true of Pocono North of course -- a lot of the time is in the bowl.

Speaking of falling asleep, lets see, 4 hours or so going to/from the Meadowlands, and then 4-5 hours of standing in a parking lot in the blazing heat (its always 20 degrees hotter at autox), all to get 3 51 second runs.  Maybe they have 6 runs, so 306 seconds of fun for 9 hours of work.  Thats a work/fun ratio of about .009.  I may as well buy a Mustang and go drag race.

- bobt993 - 04-25-2007

Your really not serious I hope! PLeeeeasssszzzee.  

Hmmm  hitting this at say 35mph.....:

- bobt993 - 04-25-2007

Or say this slightly heavier object at ....... say 80mph. 

If your saying, physical gymnastics of  sawing at the wheel is "harder" then maybe okay, but mental acuity along with physical sense of driving at speed on a road course is much more intense/harder. 

- Tony356993 - 04-25-2007

Quote:I'd be great at basketball if I were the only one on the court! Tongue
Good for you. I'd still suck @ b-ball.

Quote:Maybe they have 6 runs, so 306 seconds of fun for 9 hours of work.  Thats a work/fun ratio of about .009.

Valid point.

It's OK Nick to enjoy AX and stand by your feelings but I'm afraid I disagree with your interpretation completely.

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-25-2007

AX and DE are both loads of fun. With the changes in street auto policies, though, neither is covered. My DE insurance does not cover AX either. A well-designed course at a good venue is really safe from all but the craziest participants. I'd do AX again but for the time on track/time to get to/from track ratio. Philly SCCA runs a summer series where every participant can make his runs and fulfill his work assignment in either the morning or the afternoon. A half-day is not a big time commitment. The problem for me in Phila is that the venues are so far from my house. That adds hours of boring driving to the event. That's why I prefer 3-day DEs and am trying a number of advanced, open track events this year--notably cups and saucers at the Glen where I have signed up for a pro to coach me (I also hope to get some of the (many) more experienced drivers to coach me too).