Riesentöter Forums
HANS - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: HANS (/showthread.php?tid=575)

Pages: 1 2

- catchacab - 05-20-2007

I have a Recaro HANS (the one with head side protection)  in my 944. It is fixed (no sliders) and has a seat back brace.  I had a custom cage fabricated an installed, a removable steering wheel.  I also purchased a new helmet and HANS device.  Getting in and out of the car wasn't the easiest, but manageable. 

When I purchased my 993, I didn't install the Recaro HANS seat.  I was concerned about possible ingress and egress issues.  While at Pocono this weekend, I looked at a few cars that had HANS compatible (with head side bolsters) installed.   It appears that in an air-cooled 911 egress could be extremely difficult or impossible if the driver's door was inoperable.  See the pictures below.

Here is the question to get us thinking.  In an incident that results in the drivers door being unable to be opened, does the HANS compatible seat improve or reduce safety?  How many incidents has resulted in the drivers door being unable to be opened?  Or what is the probability of this happening?  And is the that probability greater or less than the risk of lateral head and neck trauma?

- catchacab - 05-20-2007

- catchacab - 05-20-2007

- catchacab - 05-20-2007

- bobt993 - 05-20-2007

Since fire is the reason for a quick exit.  You can install a fire system along with an internally mounted battery/engine kill. 

- Larry Herman - 05-21-2007

As Bob says, fire (or leaking fuel) is the only reason that requires a hasty exit.  Otherwise it is best to sit tight and wait for assistance.  Also, everyone is concerned about exiting through the drivers window.  If the door is wedged shut, chances are the passenger door (or window) is accessible.  I climb out through my passenger window everytime I drive my car into the trailer.

- Tony356993 - 05-21-2007

Quote:I climb out through my passenger window everytime I drive my car into the trailer.
That would be fun to watch!

I have my 10 year old "drive" the car as I winch it in the trailer since I know I aint gettin the body easily out of the window. Big Grin

- catchacab - 05-21-2007

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:I climb out through my passenger window everytime I drive my car into the trailer.

Want to make smart alec comment... Must refrain...Isn't that how...not politically correct...will get censored....

On a serious note, if you are equipping your car with equal seating for DE on both sides and get HANS compatible seating, exiting during a fire would be a lot more difficult, especially if you keep your helmet on or don't unbuckle the HANS device.

- bobt993 - 05-21-2007

Seriously,  Kill switch with a halon system answers this scenario. 

- Brian Minkin - 05-21-2007

Just want to clarify a point.  Many fixed back racing seats that do not have a Halo are Hans compatible.  The question here is not whether a Hans compatible seat presents an exit issue but rather does a Halo type seat present an issue.