Riesentöter Forums
Aluminum Pedal Install - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 911 Water-Cooled (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: Aluminum Pedal Install (/showthread.php?tid=624)

- Wellardmac - 06-29-2007

My aluminum pedals arrived this week and I did the install today. Smile

I've read many accounts of how to install them, but all seemed to miss out things that I wish someone had mentioned before I started my install.

I'll run through my experiences and try and emphasize the things that I've not seen others mention.

Things that you will need that didn't come with the pedals: 1x 1" #6 flat head phillips screw. 3x 1" #6 allen type SS machine screws. 6x 3/4" #6 allen type SS machine screws. Locking washers - big help in tightening and keeping the nuts tight). #6 SS nuts

You will need a right angle drill adaptor in order to do this mod yourself... it can be done without one if you have someone to help hold the pedals down, but even with the adpator it's tough to get the right drilling angle when you're doing a solo install.

i) remove rubber grips from brake and clutch pedals.
ii) remove screw from dead pedal
iii) Screw aluminum deadpedal over existing inserting 1" #6 screw into existing hole. Drill holes through existing rubber and secure dead pedal using supplied self tapping screws.
iv) Align gas pedal over existing and clamp in place with a C-clamp (put tape over your C-clamp so as not to scratch your aluminum). Adjust until level. The pedal does not cover the existing pedal, so adjust until you're happy with the positioning. (I used the spacing at the bottom of the existing gas pedal to guide me on alignment.
v) Drill a pilot hole with a 7/64 bit. Remove clamped pedal and drill full size holes with a 9/64 bit.
vi) fix gas pedal in place using the 1" #6 screws.
vii) cover clutch and gas pedal with masking tape.
viii) using a tailor's measuring tape to find and mark the center of each pedal. Mark a spot 5mm or so up from the bottom of the pedal - this will be where your bottom screw will go.
ix) Drill the bottom hole in each pedal (drill a pilot hole first).
x) Fix the brake pedal in place with the bottom screw and align until the Porsche script is straight. I used a pencil to mark the holes through the screw holes.
xi) Mark and drill the upper holes - push down on the pedal while drilling to ensure that you get the correct angle on the hole - otherwise you will have to enlarge the holes with the drill.
xii) Remove masking tape and install brake pedal.
xiii) Install clutch pedal using previously drilled bottom hole.
xiv) Align until the clutch pedal is straight and the Porsche script in line with the brake pedal. You may need to enlarge the bottom hole upwards with the drill to fine tune the lateral positioning (because the brake and clutch pedal are not perfectly aligned). Mark the upper holes with a pencil.
xv) Drill, remove masking tape, and install pedal.

Now it all sounds easy. In fact, the dead pedal and gas pedal are quite easy once you realize that the dead pedal needs no alignment and the gas pedal does not cover the existing pedal so needs to be adjusted to your preference.

To me the real bugger was getting the aligment of the bottom holes. I probably spent 90 minutes trying to find the best way to get the bottom hole centered on the pedal - the measuring tape seemed to work the best. Measure in 3 places for the center of the pedal - draw a center line, then measure 5mm up from the bottom to find the place to drill.

One piece of advice I would give is not to drill snug holes. In fact, if I were to do this over I would probably drill 9/64" holes and use the #4 screws to give some wiggle room for adjustment. Having "precision" holes means that if you have no wiggle room, then you end up drilling again. I ended up drilling at least 2 holes twice and enlarging the upper holes on the clutch pedal in order to get the alignment to my liking.

Being a little OCD there was more than my share of measuring 10 times and drilling twice.

I'll add more later as I think of it.

Here are my pics going from stock to aluminum pedals.

Installed dead pedal

Gas pedal clamped in place and marked for drilling.

Installed gas pedal

Brake pedal installed and the clutch pedal pated up ready for drilling.

Final installed set.

- Tony356993 - 06-29-2007

looks good mac

Thanks! It looks a lot better after the install. Smile

..and it was nice that it was something that I could do by myself on a quiet afternoon. Smile

I'm told it also adds at least 5hp. Big Grin