Riesentöter Forums
Rate Watkins Glen - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Rate Watkins Glen (/showthread.php?tid=658)

Pages: 1 2 3

- catchacab - 07-05-2007

For each track that we run rate them as excellent, good, fair poor, so I won't run there or Not Applicable. 

Use your own criteria to rate them (design, quality of the surface, amenities, location, etc.)

First Track to rate:  Watkins Glen

- Darren - 07-05-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:For each track that we run rate them as excellent, good, fair poor, so I won't run there or Not Applicable.

Use your own criteria to rate them (design, quality of the surface, amenities, location, etc.)

First Track to rate: Watkins Glen

I think I'd rather have a poll -- "Should we STOP running Jefferson and use that event for Shenandoah/Shenandoah/Summit?????"

How can a Track with like 6 turns even be a track. About 1 in 10 cars broke from the heat and lack of time to cool the engine and brakes. My 996 cracked the water bottle, Geza overheated, Steve S overheated, etc...etc....

Shenandoah is a bazillion times more technical and so much more fun. And for any of the instructors who have an issue with it being too twisty -- here is something for you, I'm sending out the......

(Note this picture normally reserved for Mahoney)

[Image: wambulance.jpg]

- catchacab - 07-05-2007

Don't worry Darren.  There are more poll questions to come!

- smankow - 07-09-2007

I just looked at the interim results and really couldn't help but wonder what is so wrong with Watkins Glen that you wouldn't run there?

- Darren - 07-09-2007

smankow wrote:
Quote:I just looked at the interim results and really couldn't help but wonder what is so wrong with Watkins Glen that you wouldn't run there?

Blue bushes maybe? Every track has a few places that you especialy don't want to mess up. If it's a question of safety, it's probably because someone doesn't like a few of these spots. The Glen is also fast. I have no real data, but if my memory is working today, it seems like accidents at the glen are often worse than at other tracks.

T3/esses -- not much runoff if you are out of whack

Bus stop exit (hard to save in a spin, blue bushes (no more styrofoam right?))

T8 -- not difficult turn, but I've seen a few people go 2 wheels off, lift, and end up hitting the wall on the inside, quite spectacularly. Many beginners don't notice the huge gravel trap straight off, or the fact that you can just drive up the grass.

T9 -- off camber, tricky if you are going fast enough

T10 -- very fast with a gravel trap at track out that you don't want to hit sideways. This one scares me a bit.

Again, EVERY track has these type of spots, and in DE especially people should be driving at a level where they aren't terrified -- you shouldn't need to boycott a track because a turn scares you, just go slower.

- bobt993 - 07-09-2007

Darren, Jeff has 7 turns.........  Agree on Shenandoah vs Jeff.  

- Tony356993 - 07-09-2007

Quote:Again, EVERY track has these type of spots, and in DE especially people should be driving at a level where they aren't terrified -- you shouldn't need to boycott a track because a turn scares you, just go slower.
Agree!

- ccm911 - 07-10-2007

Interesting comments about the Glen.  Now I realize that it has been a few years since I've been out on the track, but looking back, I really don't miss the Glen at all.  I totally miss Summit Point, though.

The Glen would probably be fun in a high horsepower ride, but for those of us with low HP, the Glen is nothing but a bore.  If memory serves me correct, I could probably read the Sunday paper in the time it takes getting down that back straight.  All the while getting passed by higher horsepower cars containing drivers having more fun than I.

Just my humble opinion.

- ccm911 - 07-10-2007

Interesting comments about the Glen.  Now I realize that it has been a few years since I've been out on the track, but looking back, I really don't miss the Glen at all.  I totally miss Summit Point, though.

The Glen would probably be fun in a high horsepower ride, but for those of us with low HP, the Glen is nothing but a bore.  If memory serves me correct, I could probably read the Sunday paper in the time it takes getting down that back straight.  All the while getting passed by higher horsepower cars containing drivers having more fun than I.

Just my humble opinion.

- catchacab - 07-10-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Interesting comments about the Glen. Now I realize that it has been a few years since I've been out on the track, but looking back, I really don't miss the Glen at all. I totally miss Summit Point, though.

The Glen would probably be fun in a high horsepower ride, but for those of us with low HP, the Glen is nothing but a bore. If memory serves me correct, I could probably read the Sunday paper in the time it takes getting down that back straight. All the while getting passed by higher horsepower cars containing drivers having more fun than I.

Just my humble opinion.

Mo men tum

Chris, I have felt your pain. Try that track in a 944NA 145HP at the flywheel.

Momentum