Riesentöter Forums
Hello From Mid Ohio - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Hello From Mid Ohio (/showthread.php?tid=690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Brian Minkin - 07-03-2007

After some fast repairs from Watkins Glen last week I have landed in in Ohio for two days on Mid Ohio Sports Car Course with the ARPCA.  Weather looks favorable so should be a fun event.  My second time here so I am looking forward to shaving off some seconds on my lap times.  For those that have never run Mid Ohio its a must do track. 8 hour drive so no different than going to VIR and every bit as fun.

- smankow - 07-03-2007

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:After some fast repairs from Watkins Glen last week I have landed in in Ohio for two days on Mid Ohio Sports Car Course with the ARPCA. Weather looks favorable so should be a fun event. My second time here so I am looking forward to shaving off some seconds on my lap times. For those that have never run Mid Ohio its a must do track. 8 hour drive so no different than going to VIR and every bit as fun.

Brian, what fast repairs - is there less wildlife in NY?

and is it the drive or the track that is every bit as fun as going to VIR?

have fun and be safe!

- Mark Fox - 07-04-2007

Smile 
Quote:8 hour drive so no different than going to VIR and every bit as fun.

OK Diessel Boy maybe you can make it to VIR in 8.  Drive well and bring back some good track notes.

Confusedhock: Did you get in touch with nature at the Zone event?  A few more events and you will be able to cover Teri in fur.Tongue

- Tony356993 - 07-04-2007

Quote:and is it the drive or the track that is every bit as fun as going to VIR?
IMHO - Mid Ohio is great but it not VIR or the Glen.

ALso IMHO - the drive to Mid Ohio Sucks compared to the drive to VIR

- Brian Minkin - 07-04-2007

The Glen event ended one session early with a cracked rotor.   And I do mean cracked,  front to back and top to bottom.  Then as I was driving through the grass to put the car back into the trailer I hit a sink hole and the spoiler which had been repaired from prior hunting expeditions bottomed out and bit the dust. 

I ordered new rotors and a new front spoiler from CA and had them air freighted in.  Order placed on Monday and the stuff arrived on Wed.  Car was reasembled and ready for the track again by Friday eve.  (keep telling myself its only money)

Trip to mid  Ohio took less then 8 hours.  Tony, I do not agree with your opinion of Mid Ohio.  It is technically more dificult then the Glen.  I have had the treat of learning this track from a professional instructor. Once you learn the fast line rather then the traditional taught line Mid Ohio becomes ballet on wheels.  Smooth and Fast.  Each turn setting up the next. 

Bottom line is that I think it rates as one of the top tracks in the country once you get it right.

- Darren - 07-04-2007

It depends on how you drive out there.  If you are trailering on the turnpike then it sucks.  If you take 80 it's really not such a bad ride.

- catchacab - 07-04-2007

Mid Ohio was my first experience trailering.  450 miles.  It also was my first experience trailering to a track in the rain.  It was my first experience trailering in heavy rain.  It was my first experience trailering to a track  in the dark.  It was my first experience trailering to a track in heavy rain, in the dark through construction zones on unfamiliar roads.

Mid Ohio was the first track I spun at.  Mid Ohio was the first track I went 4 wheels off.  (Different incidents, same corner)  When I was on track at Mid Ohio, I was too concerned about trailering home.

I wish Mid Ohio was closer, so that I would go there often and learn that track.  Yes it is more technical than the Glen.  I respect Mid Ohio.

- Tony356993 - 07-05-2007

Quote:Trip to mid  Ohio took less then 8 hours. 

Ya Man! With Diesel!

Quote:Tony, I do not agree with your opinion of Mid Ohio.  It is technically more dificult then the Glen.

I agree it is a more technically difficult track. I still prefer the Glen. If I had more access (closer) to Mid Ohio and I understood where the **** I was to be driving on the track, I'm sure I'd like it more. I did not dis the track but currently I like others better.

- Brian Minkin - 07-05-2007

Back from Mid Ohio.  Day 1 was great.  Good weather, Four 20 minute runs and I was able to get around and/or stay in front of all the run group exept 2 GT3's.  Ran in the B run group which is black in our region. 

Day 2 it rained cats and dogs in the morning but the sun came out and the track dryed.  Did not run in the rain because the coating on the track is like is when it rains and you go like 25 to 40 mph which is no fun. Ist run in the afternoon I go out mid  pack. Start pushing hard and the car does not feel right.  Slugish acceleration and lose after turn in for every corner.  Thinking the rain washed away the rubber that was on the track but even that did not seem to fully explain the way the car felt. By lap 3 I realize that the throttle is not producing any power untill it is 50% down.  (have not diagnosed the problem but I would suspect the throttle cable again.)  I stayed out and hung with the main pack for the entire run group but the shortage of torque made the back end tail happy in every turn and it was a challenge to keep the car going where I wanted it to. By the end of the run group only getting 1/3 throttle so packed it up and came home. Good thing I did not try to fix it cause the last run group was washed out by heavy rain again.

Worth the long ride?  You betcha it was.  The runs on day one where some of the best driving I have ever done.

- Mark Fox - 07-06-2007

Smile Glad you had a productive event.  I would like your track notes.