Riesentöter Forums
A day too much--need front tires... - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: A day too much--need front tires... (/showthread.php?tid=707)

Pages: 1 2

- Phokaioglaukos - 10-04-2007

The RTR contingent had a mostly great time at Schattenbaum DE at WGI on Monday and Tuesday of this week. Pat was running great; I would guess he was doing consistent 2:20s. Brian picked up more speed. I managed to do a number of, traffic-permitting, 2:19s. Yesterday I stayed with Kojote. Thanks to Steve for doing that group last year and encouraging me to try it. I was concerned that I'd be a rolling chicane out there with cup cars, a couple of 962s and many fast drivers. They also consider point-bys to be optional, so I got a few no-signal passes (but usually people point others buy). I got some suggestions and managed to get down to a 9:16.9 and many 2:17s. My "coach" told me that he was convinced that I could do 2:10s in my car. Something to shoot for, but I do have in my data logger a lap where Larry did a 2:11 in my car, so I know the car can do it--I know what I need to do.

BUT, today I corded one of my front tires. I'm not eager to put two new tires on the front given that the season is almost over and I only have our SP DE scheduled for the rest of the year. I'm not sure whether to stick with the NT-01s (which are GREAT) or try Toyo R888s or MPCSs, so I'm looking for some used tires with a bit of life in them to get me through one last DE. Let me know if you have something that might work. I have 245/40-18s now, but could go a bit smaller.

- pnolan - 10-04-2007

Chris:
We're you able to drive home on the corded fronts or what did you do?

After a two day event with so much seat time would very much like RTR to experiment and look at possible run group combos red/black, white/blue, green to try and get five 28 minute sessions like we had at WGI with Schattenbaum.  Getting back on the track every hour after coming from a session was perfect.

Also very much liked the combined red/black/white for the last session of the day.  I realize we'll only be able to do that at RTR on the longer tracks because of our larger numbers, but would suggest that we experiment and see if it works for us.
Pat

- bobt993 - 10-04-2007

Chris,

Sounds like your getting the hang of it.   Buy some MPSC's they will survive the winter fine.  ( I have done this many times.)    Summit is rumored to be repaved next week.  Yes, repaved prior to our November event.  If this is true ( my source is pretty reliable), then the track will eat tires for a couple of months with the new surface.   You will need nearly new tires to survive 2 days on new pavement. Smile

- George3 - 10-04-2007

It was great running with you guys at the Glen.  Chris, it sounds like you'll need new rubber if Summit Point is repaved.  (Yeaaaaah)  I'll be at Summit Point with the Ferrari Club on October 20th and 21st.  I'll let you know if the track is re-paved by then.

- Phokaioglaukos - 10-05-2007

Managed to get back to Philadelphia ok on the (slightly) corded tire. Good thing I checked early in the morning as I replaced the front brake pads.

Next weekend is the NASA race at the Glen. I'll have some lightly used tires after that, and they will be 18s. I think the fronts will be fine and the backs will be 285s, if I remember correctly. OEM for my car are 295s and I've been on 315s, but if I drive down to SP on the Hoosiers I can delay buying new tires until next spring AND use up some of the Hoosiers sooner.

With either MPSCs or Hoosiers I won't be driving in the rain, track or highway....

- TwentySix - 10-05-2007

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Summit is rumored to be repaved next week. Yes, repaved prior to our November event. If this is true ( my source is pretty reliable), then the track will eat tires for a couple of months with the new surface. You will need nearly new tires to survive 2 days on new pavement. Smile

Hot off of Rennlist:
Quote:Got this in an email from BSR this morning: "The October FATT is next Friday, the 12th, on Summit Point Raceway. If the weather holds, this will be the first event after the track has been re-surfaced. Word is that the entire track will get a fresh coat of asphalt."
How cool is that? [Image: beerchug.gif]

- bobt993 - 10-05-2007

Well,

It's great, but not.................

Repaving with such little time before  heavy use (say NASA races all weekend),  can really have some issues.  Tires alone are going to really get torn up.  I hope whatever they are using can heal in that short of a time.  I am going to instruct at the NASA event (free entry and they feed us!!!), so I will report how it goes.  Still a very positive step forward.

Smile

- Mike Andrews - 10-05-2007

Chris,

I have a set of 245/35 Hoosier's if you need them....

- JAB993 - 10-05-2007

Mike, if Chris passes on your offer I am interested, assuming they are 18's.

- Phokaioglaukos - 10-05-2007

Thanks, Mike, but the shop I'm renting the 944S2 from has ordered the Hoosiers. What I need to figure out is what tires I can use to get the car to SP! I guess I have some time to figure that out.