Riesentöter Forums
Windshield Tech Question - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Windshield Tech Question (/showthread.php?tid=716)

Pages: 1 2

- magnetic1 - 10-23-2007

What defines "secure and unbroken"? 

A chip?  a crack that doesnt connect? etc? 

I plan on attending the Summit Point DE, however, my racecar does have some cracks in it.  It passed NASA tech as well as BMWCCA tech for my most recent races.   Car has annual logbooks with both NASA and CCA.

This is the only thing in the entire tech form that is questionable on my car and want clarification before the event so that I may correct it if needed.  I dont want to get turned away at the event, but I also dont want to replace my glass before the enf od the season either. 

Please advise, thank you.

Regards,

Eric Wong

- michael lang - 10-24-2007

Well you could go to the tech inspection before the event to have it looked at and signed off. Your signature doesn't indicate where you are so if your not from the Lehigh Valley/Phila area look at the tech inspection area of the website. It tells what type of "out of area" inspection stations are acceptable. They should also be able to say whether or not the windshield is acceptable.

Just my $.02

- magnetic1 - 10-24-2007

michael lang wrote:
Quote:Well you could go to the tech inspection before the event to have it looked at and signed off. Your signature doesn't indicate where you are so if your not from the Lehigh Valley/Phila area look at the tech inspection area of the website. It tells what type of "out of area" inspection stations are acceptable. They should also be able to say whether or not the windshield is acceptable.

Just my $.02

Whoops, sorry. Just fixed my profile.

I am from the Washington DC area and will have the car tech'd at http://www.roadracetech.com (a well known BMW shop). Thanks.

- michael lang - 10-24-2007

Eric, you should probably shoot Larry Herman an e-mail  just to make sure that shop is RTR approved. He can be found in the exec board section of the home page of the website.

- catchacab - 10-24-2007

Paul Walsack

walsack@comcast.net

Paul is the person to contact.

- Darren - 10-25-2007

RTR windshield rules are more strict than NASA.  I replaced my Acura (NASA race car) windshield because it was too bad to pass RTR tech.  Definitely check with Paul, but I'm guessing anything that passes PA state inspection would be ok -- crack smaller than a dollar bill, not directly in your vision, and windshield is secure.

My Acura was cracked the entire height -- doesn't pass RTR tech.

- Darren - 10-25-2007

Eric -- I just realized who you are....are you coming to get recon on Tom D's line???

- magnetic1 - 10-25-2007

Darren wrote:
Quote:Eric -- I just realized who you are....are you coming to get recon on Tom D's line???

LOL. Could be Wink But really it was just a blast to drive with Tom that I need to do it again! Can't wait for next year as he will have to come down to my "home track" at VIR. Definitely good to see more Porsches out. The only other Porsche Ive ever raced with was KJ (dunno if you guys know him). He drives a 996, but work has kept him from racing much this year.

I spoke to another instructor and he feels that my windshield should be ok, but I will email Paul just to be safe. The cracks are not in my view and the car is fully caged. I got these cracks very early this year and they havent spread since. I'd just hate to replace my windshield right now because Im not sure of my plans over the winter. Certainly dont want to put new glass in if I am going to replace it with lexan Sad That, and Im leaving for Vegas for SEMA tomorrow and dont return until next Thursday. The RTR event was a last minute decision based on a very nice invite from a couple people.

- Darren - 10-25-2007

Do you have video from that race?  I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to see that!  I was having fun just watching from the tower!

- magnetic1 - 10-25-2007

Darren wrote:
Quote:Do you have video from that race? I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to see that! I was having fun just watching from the tower!

I did... until my dog ate the tape Sad

If you know of a way to xfer reels from one miniDV cassette to another, Im all ears Smile