Riesentöter Forums
DIY or leave to the pros - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: DIY or leave to the pros (/showthread.php?tid=740)

- Mbdude8 - 05-27-2008

I want to install new after-market sway bars and upgrade the tie rods to the turbo style.  Has anyone attempted this at home and, if so, any hints?  I know I need a few special tools to make the job easier and I'll need an alignment when it's finished. 

Thanks, Mark

- michael lang - 05-27-2008

You didn't say for which model, or for what reason you want to upgrade, but it should be a piece of cake. The turbo tie rods should be really easy. Tools needs are a ball joint separator or pickle fork, a hammer, and a big ass crescent wrench (you'll need that because you'll need the leverage to get the old tie rods out, they tend to be in there pretty tight.) Other than some grunt I can't see as this being something I would pay someone else to do. You didn't comment on which sway bars you were planning on putting in. Could be something you would want to look into first as to what is entailed. Depending on what you want, it may require an extensive amount of dissasembly, gas tank as well as drilling through the fender wells and so forth. If you are upgrading for the sake of making an upgrade then you may want to save your money and put it somewhere else like DE or Auto Cross. Try the technical forum on Pelican Parts or the DIY section on Rennlist. You know, this would be perfect for Larry's "Show and Tell" thread he started a few weeks back. Shame I don't live in PA, I'd offer to hold it in my garage.

- Larry Herman - 05-29-2008

Mike pretty much summed it up.  If you are talking about turbo tie rods, I assume that you have a Carrera or an SC.  The rear bar is easy.  The front bar is tougher if it is an early "through the chassis" style, though it is certainly a better setup than the Carreras had. 

- michael lang - 05-29-2008

Yes Larry you are correct, the rear only requires six bolts out and six bolts back in to replace the sway bar. Outside some simple adjustments he should be good to go. But you're correct we don't know for which model car. The "through body" is definitely an upgrade if for anything the adjustiblity part but in order to make the right recommendation to help some more information is needed.

- Mbdude8 - 05-30-2008

Thanks Mike and Larry,

The car is a 74 911 Targa.  I believe that it's the "through" version but not sure.  

- Larry Herman - 05-30-2008

It should be that type, but it is easy to tell. Just turn the steering wheel and look inside the fender. If the arms are up on the tub, it is through the body. If the bar is down low by the A-arms, it is the newer style (and not as effective).

- Mbdude8 - 05-30-2008

I'll check it out.  I'm out of town so it'll have to wait till Monday.  Quick question re upgrading to Turbo Tie-Rods.  My mechanic said that I could destroy the tire quickly without adjusting the toe in while driving to get an alignment.  How easy/hard is it do adjust to avoid damaging the tires? 

- Larry Herman - 05-30-2008

You can lay 2 straight 2x4s alongside the front tires and line them up with the wheels. With the steering wheel set straight ahead if the boards are parallel you have 0 toe. That would be close enough to drive to get your alignment.

- michael lang - 05-31-2008

I never though of doing it that way. When I put in the turbo tie rods, I measured the length of the old tie rods and then before I put in the new ones I adjusted them to be the same length. Once in, I used a yard stick a ran it from the front of the fender well to the rear of the fender well opening. I then adjusted the tie rod so the the tire was flush against the yard stick.

- Mbdude8 - 05-31-2008

Thanks guys.  I'll let you know how it goes!