Riesentöter Forums
Mannheim Auction - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Mannheim Auction (/showthread.php?tid=751)

- pnolan - 09-20-2007

Just an FYI and some free publicity for Erik Haas - have been working with Erik for a couple of weeks to get an Audi A4 for my son.  Bought a 2006 A4 today at Mannheim through Eric and Car Connection USA for a great price.   I'm a believer.

Pat

- Wellardmac - 09-20-2007

If you don't mind me asking, what was the commission?

The exotics dealer in NJ that I bought my 996 from offered a similar service, but to be honest, by the time commission and 'fees' were added in, it came out about the same as a well negotiated deal through an authorized brand dealer.

If Eric has a better deal I'll be heading his direction next time we need a car. Smile

- Hammerin Hank - 09-22-2007

Josette got her MINI through Erik. Nothing but a pleasant experience. Josette was being very particular as to what she wanted. Erik was very patient and on top of things when the right car came up. Out the door price was less than the traditional dealerships.

Two thumbs up for Erik and Car Connections.   [Image: 4_1_204.gif] 

- Wellardmac - 09-22-2007

So, what was the commission on top of the auction price then?

As I said, I almost went this route earlier this year. In doing the analysis I took the average Mannheim auction price (+7% which was essentially what the guy would have charged to do the purchase for me) and used it as a mental basis for negotiating with the dealer. I figured that I'd negotiate the best deal I could with 3 dealers, then if it came within the error margin of the auction price + commision, then I'd buy from the dealer - if not, then I'd go with the auction.

In the end, the price I paid through the dealer came out to be less than the Mannheim average price for the car that I wanted (+commision) by around $2K. On top of that I got CPO (I figure that's worth another $1500) and they took my trade-in.

In the final analysis, I got a dealer price that was very close to what I would have paid going the auction route, but didn't have to deal with selling my old car and got a warranty.

- to be honest if the price difference is in that ballpark, then I'd go with the $tealer, as that brings that advantages of taking your car to a place where you bought it and a warranty.

Obviously, everyone's experience will vary and some will fair better than others. In my single experience this year the price difference was a wash.

- IMQKRNU - 09-26-2007

Thanks for the accolades for our company and for Erik.  He's a hard working guy and we're lucky to have him both in the club and our company.  We offer several services including a Custom Procurement program.  In our program, we try to enable clients to buy at wholesale, plus a $1,250 fixed fee and fetch closer to retail for their "trade-in" while still preserving the tax shelter afforded by Pennsylvania's Sales Tax Laws.  (What do you expect.  A CPA thrown into the car business has to figure out a way to OPTIMIZE the tax situation!)  We also will accommodate traditional trade ins, but have often found that greater cost savings can be achieved through a professional consignment sale of a client's trade. 

Some of our cars are visible on www.carconnectionsusa.com.  The site will direct you to our eBay store.  We've got some fun toys, and most are available to PCA members and local clients at a significant savings from what's shown on the net!

I think you'll see a lot of dealers shifting to a custom procurement model to better align the supply and demand.  There's nothing worse than being loaded up with an inventory of Hummers during a gas crunch.  By buying the very thing a person wants for them rather than shoe horning them into a car on your lot, the relationship is a LOT better. 

- Darren - 09-26-2007

Nice Dave! I'm suprised how many cars you have listed....now only if I had the money for the 355....

The S2000 looks great also!