Riesentöter Forums
Portable GPS - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Portable GPS (/showthread.php?tid=783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Wellardmac - 07-30-2007

That's not a correct comparison. To compare a car to consumer electronics is foolish.

As I said, I am yet to buy a piece of electronics that has broken in an extended warranty period. Typically they will either break during their standard warranty period due to a defect, or they will not break at all unless they are being treated roughly. There are no moving parts for mechanical failure and the electronics are usually good unless dropped or put through extremes of temperature/humidity.

- catchacab - 07-30-2007

I smell a rumble brewing

- Wellardmac - 07-30-2007

No rumble, just expressing an opinion that most warranties are a waste of money (the one exception would be the one on my Carrera) and go unused. There's a reason that insurance is a profitable as it is. Like in Vegas you're betting against the house and the house has a very very good command of the odds and does not get into the habit of losing.

There are several warranties that amuse me - the circuit city "would you like a warranty with that?" is the equivalent of asking if you want fries with your meal - costs them nothing and they make a huge amount of money from it. Consumer electronics are incredibly reliable and your money is best spent elsewhere.

The other one is the "road hazard warranty" offered on tires.... purleeze! Spend enough money on a warranty for something that is very unlikely to happen and would be about enough to buy a new tire anyway. Hmm, that's logical. Tongue

I'm sure that there are other equally shady ones that I've seen, but it's late and my head has already gone to sleep. Smile

- dmano - 07-30-2007

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:That's not a correct comparison. To compare a car to consumer electronics is foolish.

As I said, I am yet to buy a piece of electronics that has broken in an extended warranty period. Typically they will either break during their standard warranty period due to a defect, or they will not break at all unless they are being treated roughly. There are no moving parts for mechanical failure and the electronics are usually good unless dropped or put through extremes of temperature/humidity.

And the point is ??? Speaking of temp and humidity I see why you have a lovely purple suit on. Well I guess I just use the hell out of all my stuff and get it replaced for FREE when needed. O just remembered I had my Ipod replaced for FREE because of that stupid contract I paid for. I dropped it in the rain one day and it stopped working go fiqure!!! DUH Is a car not a consumer product loaded with electronics? That my contract also paid for to repair and I did not. $$$$ well worth spent.

In my case that is.

- smankow - 07-30-2007

and aren't cars subjected to extreme heat and humity on a daily basis during the summer months?

when I purchased my laptop, I opted for the extended warranty and accidental damage warranty.  I was very happy when some liquid go spilled into my keyboard while rehabbing my elbow - Dell replaced all damaged parts and checked out the entire system FOR FREE

- Wellardmac - 07-31-2007

dmano wrote:
just remembered I had my Ipod replaced for FREE because of that stupid contract I paid for. I dropped it in the rain one day and it stopped working go fiqure!!!
[/quote]

smankow wrote:
Quote:and aren't cars subjected to extreme heat and humity on a daily basis during the summer months?

In dropping an iPod in water you were very lucky, as this is what is called user error and is not covered by the vast majority of warranties. Warranties usually cover equipment failure, not the carelessness of the owner. I've known of people in exactly the same situation who were told that their equipment would not be replaced.

You know that there's a reason that most cellphones have water detecting stickers on the inside - just so the company can say that you invalidated your warranty by getting it wet.

...and as for the comment about cars, well this would be why the instruction manuals of most consumer electronics state that you should not leave them in cars.

I'm not telling you what to spend your money on, but just pointing out that in the vast majority of cases your money is better spent on other things than a warranty that is pure profit for the company that sells it to you.

I'll go back to my earlier comment - insurance is all about probability. The company selling it is willing to sell you coverage for an event that is highly unlikely. The more likely the event becomes, the more you pay for coverage. Typically, low cost coverage can be given on things like this because the chance of is being used is low and the vast majority of users will have no issue - that's how they make a profit.

Many people buy this coverage for peace of mind and that's fine. I choose not to buy it, as I know that probability is on my side. In the end we're typically talking about disposable electornics anyway - I have a 4th gen. iPod, it cost $500. If it broke tomorrow it wouldn't phase me, as I've gotten years (beyond an extended warranty) of good use out of it. I'd happily go out and buy another.

Anyway, this has been beaten to death.

- smankow - 07-31-2007

Wellardmac wrote: Anyway, this has been beaten to death.[/quote]

yeah, by you!!!!!!

- catchacab - 07-31-2007

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:put through extremes of temperature/humidity.

Could I get an extended warranty on my underwear?

Definite extremes of temperature and humidity. How long is the manufacturers warranty on underwear?

Will an extended warranty cover stains or just holes? Is the warranty null and void if the underwear is worn in Ambler?

People, relax. No need to get all excited about this.

Will this thread be censored?

- ccm911 - 07-31-2007

Actually, I know a few folks in the club that would benefit greatly from an underwear warranty. 

The combination of "Seepage" and "Hot Exhaust Gasses" pose a threat to underwear users world-wide. Big Grin

And lay off the Insurance companies.  They provide me with a nice paycheck every two weeks.

- Wellardmac - 07-31-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:put through extremes of temperature/humidity.

Could I get an extended warranty on my underwear?

Definite extremes of temperature and humidity. How long is the manufacturers warranty on underwear?

Will an extended warranty cover stains or just holes? Is the warranty null and void if the underwear is worn in Ambler?

People, relax. No need to get all excited about this.

Will this thread be censored?

Answer to your first question is no, skidmarks nullify any warranty. Wink

Answer to the second question is only if my magic 8 ball tells me to. Big Grin