Riesentöter Forums
Porsche Mechanic near Easton? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Porsche Mechanic near Easton? (/showthread.php?tid=788)

- onehappydad - 07-30-2007

I am new to the area and have a 1986 911 with approx. 57k miles.  On a recent drive I notcied a lot of play in the steering wheel - it feels losse and moves easily.  The car still drives good, just feels like the wheel may come off.   Attempted to track it down myself, took off steering wheel, etc but could not figure it out.

Does anybody recommend a shop/mechanic near Easton.  Thak you for your help/input.

Steve  :dude:

- Brian Minkin - 07-30-2007

onehappydad wrote:
Quote:I am new to the area and have a 1986 911 with approx. 57k miles. On a recent drive I notcied a lot of play in the steering wheel - it feels losse and moves easily. The car still drives good, just feels like the wheel may come off. Attempted to track it down myself, took off steering wheel, etc but could not figure it out.

Does anybody recommend a shop/mechanic near Easton. Thak you for your help/input.

Steve :dude:

Steve,

Information from Pelican Parts regarding you loose steering wheel. Although there could be other causes this is the most common cause on your vintage 911.

Is your steering shaft loose, or does it vibrate and rattle while you are driving? It could be that your steering wheel bearing is worn out. Replacing this bearing (sold above) is a lengthy and difficult process, however, there is a Pelican Parts qwik-fix bushing that can be installed in about a half hour. The part that actually fails is a plastic bushing located inside the bearing. This qwik-fix part replaces that bushing and restores the steering wheel bearing close to its original specifications. For complete installation procedures, check out our Pelican Technical Article on Steering Wheel Shaft Bearing Sleeve Qwik-Fix Installation.
Manufacturer: Porsche OEM

[Image: 92834773902-M100.jpg]
928-347-739-02-M100

Steering Wheel Bearing Qwik-Fix Sleeve, 911/912E/930 (1974-89)
Brand: Genuine Porsche [Photo] [Photo] [view in parts diagrams]
[Image: free_shipping2.gif]
$12.00
[Image: add_cart2.JPG]

- porsh111214 - 08-28-2007

Steve,  I live in Easton and either myself or several other Porsche fanatics that live the LV could help sort that out.  There are about 3 or 4 shops within 30minutes also.

let me know.

Chris

- onehappydad - 08-29-2007

Brian - Thanks for the input.  I will do a little more research to see if that may be the problem.

Chris - Thank you for the offer of help.  Unfortunately, I am very busy at work lately and have very little time to actually work on the car.  In fact, even my inspection is past due since April - it's been a very busy summer.  If you don't mind, I would like the names/numbers of the local shops you recommend.  Thay way they can fix it and also inspect it for me.

Again, thanks for the help and offers of time.  I will take you up on it when things slow down at work.

Steve