Riesentöter Forums
Der Gasser - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Der Gasser (/showthread.php?tid=80)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Tony356993 - 09-18-2006

If we are going to have comments in Der Gasser about the DE program, it might be beneficial to have them written by folks that have actually recently attended the events they are writing about. Just MHO.

- smankow - 09-18-2006

at least you've received it.  Mine hasn't arrived yet.  Sad

steve

- sandor - 09-18-2006

smankow wrote:
Quote:at least you've received it. Mine hasn't arrived yet. Sad

steve

blame it on the USPS. i got the first one from the printer on the 10th, same as every month, and heard of the first received copies on the 13th.

truthfully, the "normal" spread for USPS to get them all delivered seems to be about a week. The are aimed to be out on the 15th, but the post office seems to be the largest variable.

- sandor - 09-18-2006

oh, and as far as content - if anyone is offering to write, i'll publish it!

Smile

Sandor,

My gripe is not with the publication or the staff. I enjoy Der Gasser very much and I look forward to each issue. In fact, I have submitted many photos of various RTR events for the publication.

I just feel that month after month of the "holier than thou" attitude about superior driving, what kind of cars beginners should drive, and DE in general is getting a little old. Admittedly, the author has been slightly detached from the facts for a little while and it shows in his articles. I feel it is giving a negative and inaccurate picture of a top notched DE program. I have participated and instructed for several regions and I will put the RTR program up with any other PCA region for overall safety of the event and skill of the drivers.

Tony Scalies

- smankow - 09-18-2006

My issue finally arrived today and I read this article.  My thoughts were similar to Tony's.

I almost laughed when the question about how can a first timer possibly spin.  They may be some of the most likely ones since they are still "street" drivers and may be getting a little information overload.  They may be a little intimidated of the track or simply try to impress their instructor or maybe they think that they're better than they are and don't listen to their instructor.  Regardless, I'm surprised there aren't a few more spins in green, but that is truly testament to Brian Smith and our instructors.  There may not be expectations of the Club or instructor, but they probably have their own expectations.

As for the severity of the incidents, I really don't think that having track insurance is the cause.  Currently, we have more car on the track plus the cars are much faster, even in the lower run groups.

- sandor - 09-18-2006

Tony -
First off, i appreciate your images more than i make known. Heck, you are one of the very few who has ever provided enough resolution in the files to get a decent cover shot!

As far as content, my only words in regards to any piece is that EVERY member of Riesentöter has an equal chance to get articles published, and, in fact, i think the more views and input we can get in regards to our club and our activities, the better.

Bottom line for me is this - i don't take comments about the content personally (i don't write it, and have no reason to) but i DO appreciate the feedback on delivery times. I want it in everyone's hands on the 15th, and if it means pushing the deadlines back another 5 days because delivery is taking longer in '06, so be it.

thanks
sandor

Sandor,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm no photographer but I will send you a cd after the MAW event.

Keep up the good work.

Tony Scalies

- Wellardmac - 09-18-2006

I didn't realize that you were open to receiving images. I usually photograph every event that I attend and have ample photographs. I'll gladly send you high resolution photos of any event.

Here is a link to some of my Porsche photos...

http://web.mac.com/wellardmac/iWeb/Porsche/PCA%20Events.html

-W

- jakp993 - 09-18-2006

Guys,

I spoke to said author and defended our 1st time green "car wrecker".  The track was wet and slippery, and we were at the Glen.  Anywhere else we drive his mistake would have resulted in an innocent agricultural excursion.  Unfortunately, the Glen proves again that it does not allow mistakes to go unpunished.

Yes, the student did made a mistake, and he paid dearly.  As an instructor, I feel it's my job to help novices avoid making  those types of mistakes.  But, they do happen.  And they can be made by nice people, who are not overly aggressive, nor driving over their head.  It can happen in an instant without warning   Lifting in a wet, slippery corner casue one thinks one is going too fast is instinctive for a novice.  You can tell a novice student to not do this, but you can count on it happening.  In most situations nothing serious happens.  You tell the student what they did, explain the potential consequences, and coach them not to do it again.  However, from time to time, it happens under the wrong conditions, and too fast for the instructor to intervene.  Does this make the student a bad person?  No, it means they made a mistake under the wrong conditions.  I'd like to talk to anyone that doesn't think that they made a mistake on the track and was lucky enought to get away with it.

I will continue try to teach my students to not make these mistakes, but I also realize that being human, they will be made.

BTW - I'm happy to have this reply printed in degasser.

Jack Kramer