Riesentöter Forums
Der Gasser - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Der Gasser (/showthread.php?tid=80)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- smankow - 09-26-2006

jakp993 wrote:
Quote:I appreciate the feedback and ideas being presented here. Keep them coming.

I want to make our DE program the best it can me. We're starting from a position of strength, but that doesn't mean we can't improve on what we have.
Jack, I agree that our DE program is outstanding, but we can't rest on our laurels. We should always try to get better. With that understanding, one area that we can improve DE would be to better use our website and improve our "driver manual". We currently have basic track maps for the tracks that we run. Several regions have compiled virtual laps (turn by turn) for several, including Summit Point (Potomac), Shenandoah (Schattenbaum) and Watkins Glen (Zone 1). They are in pdf format that should be an easy link from our site. It would provide a basic understanding of the track before getting there.

Another thought would be to use videos in conjunction with the track maps. There are many good video sites on the web (video.google.com, trackpedia, streamload) where drivers have uploaded their videos of tracks.

Steve

- sandor - 09-26-2006

wellardmac wrote:
Quote:Sandor, you nailed my perspective exactly - I learned car control in snow and taught it to my Californian wife when we moved out to the east coast.... find a nice big empty lot and take the car for a few spins.... that can teach you so many valuable things about your car.

-As for the Der Gasser article, I'll see where the current AX thread goes and maybe when we see Graham next (after he's elected) we can pull something together.

Excellent. I have to give a hand to Brian for implementing theses forums. The informational quality of der Gasser is really up to the membership at large, and this is a direct link.

The one thing i have been thinking about for a long time with regard to der Gasser is getting a consistent Tech Q&A, the trouble is finding a person or team of people willing to answer questions authoritatively. Drop hints to those you think would be capable....

cheers

- jakp993 - 09-26-2006

smankow wrote:
Quote:Jack, I agree that our DE program is outstanding, but we can't rest on our laurels. We should always try to get better. With that understanding, one area that we can improve DE would be to better use our website and improve our "driver manual". We currently have basic track maps for the tracks that we run. Several regions have compiled virtual laps (turn by turn) for several, including Summit Point (Potomac), Shenandoah (Schattenbaum) and Watkins Glen (Zone 1). They are in pdf format that should be an easy link from our site. It would provide a basic understanding of the track before getting there.

Another thought would be to use videos in conjunction with the track maps. There are many good video sites on the web (video.google.com, trackpedia, streamload) where drivers have uploaded their videos of tracks.

Steve

Great comments Steve. We have a bunch of folks that video their runs. I'm sure we could come up with a compilation of video tours of our tracks.

Folks used to sell track videos before video was so prevalent on the internet. I always bought one for a new track I was visiting. It helped orient me to the track layouot.

You think we could get the folks at Gran Turismo to feature the Glen, Shenadoah, & Summit in GT5? That would be fun Smile

Take care,
Jack

- sandor - 09-26-2006

Quote:jakp993 wrote:

You think we could get the folks at Gran Turismo to feature the Glen, Shenadoah, & Summit in GT5? That would be fun Smile

Take care,
Jack

just for fun, Jeremy Clarkson's take on GT4 v. Real Life

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/TopGear/video/xaimr_top-gear-laguna-seca

...sad to add that Top Gear is on hiatus indefinitely...

- Wellardmac - 09-26-2006

I hadn't seen that, why? I know about the accidnet, but why would that take out the show?

- Mike Andrews - 09-26-2006

smankow wrote:
Quote:jakp993 wrote:
Quote:I appreciate the feedback and ideas being presented here. Keep them coming.

I want to make our DE program the best it can me. We're starting from a position of strength, but that doesn't mean we can't improve on what we have.
Jack, I agree that our DE program is outstanding, but we can't rest on our laurels. We should always try to get better. With that understanding, one area that we can improve DE would be to better use our website and improve our "driver manual". We currently have basic track maps for the tracks that we run. Several regions have compiled virtual laps (turn by turn) for several, including Summit Point (Potomac), Shenandoah (Schattenbaum) and Watkins Glen (Zone 1). They are in pdf format that should be an easy link from our site. It would provide a basic understanding of the track before getting there.

Steve
Steve,

I love volunteers.

It’s been ten years since Kurt and I put that manual together and probably eight years since Sutton went through it and cleaned it up.

Would you like to take a crack at updating it with the most current information. You are very active and I think you would bring a fresh new set of eyes into something that most of old timers take from granted……

As for the rest of you, please don't hesitate to offer suggestions on how we can improve our DE program.

- smankow - 09-26-2006

I guess that I just volunteered   Cool  Is the current version in an "easily updated format"?????

During the "off season" I will go through the manual and see what can be updated.  In addition, I have pdf's of SP and WGI that we could add as a link on our website.

Once I have a rough draft I'll forward to Tom, Jack, you and whomever needs to approved it.  Of course, I'd love to have a few assistants so that we can break up the manual.

Steve

- sandor - 09-26-2006

wellardmac wrote:
Quote:I hadn't seen that, why? I know about the accidnet, but why would that take out the show?

Clarkson, Wilman. et al, voiced their decision to not continue the show without Hammond -

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1879669,00.html

so it will all hinge on his recovery.

- Wellardmac - 09-26-2006

sandor wrote:
Quote:wellardmac wrote:
Quote:I hadn't seen that, why? I know about the accidnet, but why would that take out the show?

Clarkson, Wilman. et al, voiced their decision to not continue the show without Hammond -

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that. I tend to agree with their sentiment. It's a great show and a lot better than it was before the format change.

- sandor - 09-26-2006

wellardmac wrote:
Quote:sandor wrote:
Quote:wellardmac wrote:

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that. I tend to agree with their sentiment. It's a great show and a lot better than it was before the format change.

yeah, the first episodes i ever watched were back around '92-93. Clarkson (and Wilman's production) has brought the show up tremendously.