Riesentöter Forums
8/10ths DE? for those with convertables - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 8/10ths DE? for those with convertables (/showthread.php?tid=810)

- hardrivn - 09-21-2007

I own a 2002 Boxster S and also happen to be Tall, Unfortunately that translates into not being able to pass the broomstick test with 2"s to spare which means almost ALL PCA Sanctioned DEs are off limits to me the Roll Bar extension will only give me 1.5"s so I still would not pass with 2"s to spare. Anyone have any recommendations for Track Events that permit convertables without a full roll cage?

Thanks

Brian M

2002 Boxster S Midnight Blue

- Larry Herman - 09-22-2007

Buy a racing seat.  It will lower you about 1.5 inches from where the stock seat puts you, and then you will have room to spare.  Plus they bolt in and out fairly easily, so it would not be too much of a problem to change it before each DE.

- Mike Andrews - 09-23-2007

Our region used to allow Boxsters with the factory hardtop....  give Steve or Paul a call and see if that is still the case.

- hardrivn - 09-23-2007

That is what makes it even more infuriating, There would be no structural advantage to the drop on roof. If I am going to drop 2000 on something I do not really want then I am more tempted to just not go. Even funnier is all of these tracks are fine with me on my motorcycle, but the idea of a convertable run group with very limited passing rules seems like a bad idea to them and the groups running the events. I do not know what the big deal is cars are very unlikely to roll over especially if you are sitting there with an instructor at a DE.

- Mike Andrews - 09-23-2007

hardrivn wrote:
Quote:That is what makes it even more infuriating, There would be no structural advantage to the drop on roof. If I am going to drop 2000 on something I do not really want then I am more tempted to just not go. Even funnier is all of these tracks are fine with me on my motorcycle, but the idea of a convertable run group with very limited passing rules seems like a bad idea to them and the groups running the events. I do not know what the big deal is cars are very unlikely to roll over especially if you are sitting there with an instructor at a DE.

Well, that's always an option....

Some clubs will not allow them, and some tracks will not allow them even if the club does. The Miata club will allow you to run at Pocono in just about any configuration you desire.

BTW, very nice looking car.

- hardrivn - 09-23-2007

I do not mean to sound pissy, and I appreciate the comments. PCA is great I was just hoping that they might be willing to consider relaxing the rules for convertables as there are more than just boxsters. I appreciate the concern for safety but at the same time how long till the rules require airbags and 5 point harnesses. If it is the instructors who wanted the convertable rules then I just need to shut up and deal with it since I have no right to impose what I consider acceptable risk upon them, but if the organization is just blindly following SCCA safty classifications for competition then maybe a change is in order.

Another one that has always baffled me is standard lap belts are ok but 4 point harnesses are not allowed?

Regardless if I run into a cheap hard top in any color then I would consider it, the race seat is a tempting thought as well, just wish I could test the clearance of different models in an actual boxster.

Anyone know of companies that rent cars for Track days / DEs? I am only good for 2-3 a year anyway, I just would prefer to continue to learn my own vehicle so I will definately be checking out the Miata clubs track events and see if they are willing to take non members. Plus any other clubs out there with less restrictions on convertables that people want to mention.

Thanks for the comments about my new to me Boxster, I am in love with it and cannot think of a better overall sports car I would have probably never considered one if I fit into a Miata or an S2000, thankfully my love for food and beer and some height made me expand my horizons for a convertable.

- bobt993 - 09-23-2007

Brian, 

I owned and DE'd a 2002 Boxster S for several years.  Larry is correct.  BK rollbar extension and bolt in seats would give enough room for a 6'2" driver.  I am  6'1" and had no problems.  I understand not wanting to spend money on being safe and avoiding a long hospital stay should something happen. Wink

If you decide to start going to the track, you will completely understand the efforts on safety and most likely extend your protection past the minimum requirements.  The good news is that the season is nearly over and you can find some good deals on used gear on the PCA website to outfit your car with and save $$$.  ( did this when I first started).

BTW,  Yes bikes seem more exposed, but when your bike rolls over you it's likely to break a bone or two not crush you like a grape.  I counted two medivac helicopters this weekend for the bikes running Fri/Sat at Pocono.  (they do not call in the whirly birds for a skinned knee).   The insurance expense and risk on cycles is entirely different situation.

Hope to see you out there.........Big Grin

- steveh - 09-24-2007

Check out Chin Motorsports.  They run several "TrackQuest" events at notheastern courses (Chin itself is based in Florida), including WGI.

They have a "convertibles OK" rule for novice run groups and a case-by-case allowance for intermediate and up.  Roll bars or hardtops are encouraged, but not required.

Still, I'd at least get a race seat and let the roll hoops on the Boxster provide some protection.

- AMoore - 09-24-2007

Didn't we have a boxter roll multiple times at an event a few years ago?

- ccm911 - 09-24-2007

Coolest thing I ever saw!!!

The car actually barrel rolled, then landed right side up, and the coolest thing was that the driver merely unbuckled her seatbelt and walked away.

Things like that really make you believe in safety equipment.

Now get on the horn with Brey Krause and buy those roll hoop extnders! Smile