Riesentöter Forums
Home inspections - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Home inspections (/showthread.php?tid=827)

- dmano - 09-28-2007

Any home inspectors in the club. I am looking at a house and need a home inspector. Email me:  davidmano1@yahoo.com

- catchacab - 09-28-2007

I would call Chris M. He is an EXPERT in everything. Just hope the hose isn't a Toll Bros. McMansion.

- dmano - 09-28-2007

NOPE,

A nice rancher with a big 3 car detached garage and a 25x40 inground pool.

- TwentySix - 09-28-2007

dmano wrote:
Quote:A nice rancher with a big 3 car detached garage and a 25x40 inground pool.
Make sure you get someone who really knows pools to check it out specifically, we've spent many thousands rehabbing ours since we moved in...

- dmano - 09-28-2007

The pool just had a sevicing done by the company that did the install, a new liner was installed and a new pump. The owners are also installing a new pool cover before the sale. The new type that is attached to the cement. But I am still having a pool inspector check it. 

- ccm911 - 09-28-2007

So when are we having the first pool party?

- catchacab - 09-28-2007

Most home and building inspectors that I have dealt with in the past or mediocre at best. 

If I was buying a property now I would:

Have a roofer, plumber, electrician, pest control (termite), HVAC person and a public engineer (for structural,  seepage, water run off etc) inspect the property.  Since it has an in ground pool, get one of the pool companies to check it out.   Yes this takes more time and money , but it can save you a lot of aggravation and money in the long run.  Make sure you get the house tested for radon.

- bobt993 - 09-28-2007

Eric, you really don't have a choice on the Radon test, it is mandantory  for most home loans.  You need a certified home inspector regardless unless this is a cash deal.  You may also consider a "home warranty".  In the past, I would laugh at the thought, but everyone I know that bought a house with one in the last 4 years has made out with some sort of repair well above the premium for the warranty.   BTW, there are some really good home inspectors, but one option is to bring a knowledgeable builder in and do a walk through with him prior to the home inspector's cert.  Give your list of concerns to the inspector prior to his arrival and he will pay close attention to what your looking for.  

- catchacab - 09-28-2007

Bob, when we bought our house four years ago, the only requirement from the bank was a termite inspection. The problem with many home warrantees is that you must use their contractors, which may not be timely. One of my friends heater broke in the winter, it took three days for the contractor to the house, then another two days to fix it.

- bobt993 - 09-28-2007

Eric, while home warranties provide a list of contractors, they will and do give in to the pressure of using other contractors as I have witnessed in the past.   I have never been big on extended warranties even after writing a policy for a major electronics company.  I am surprised by the success of the last three individuals I know that purchased them. 

I also would not diss home inspectors as there are good ones (thus the original question).  My Dad trained to become one following retirement and the course was pretty extensive.  His background in Engineering, Forestry,PE License in several States,  land developement, and 3 Engineering degrees including a Masters in Civil E.  made him "qualified" to inspect a home.

Back to the actual question.  I have not have an inspection in 5 years.  My last one included a home effeciency evaluation and the guy was good.  I would suggest checking with local commerce and "PE" listed inspectors.  I can also check with several builders in the area as to whom they have on their list.  A retired Engineer that works part-time to supplement his income would be a good match.