Riesentöter Forums
Controversial?? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Controversial?? (/showthread.php?tid=84)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- ccm911 - 01-12-2007

I think we need both DE and AX in order to give more folks the opportunity to participate.  I did DE for like five years and loved it.  Then my family circumstances changed, so I have been out for a bit. 

I will say that a lot of the DE folks that are writing on this forum most definitely have an air of superiority about them.  A lot of them really think that they are "racers" and doing something really unique.  Unfortunately, if you can write a check, and prove that you are mentally capable, you can drive your car on the track.  Which is a great thing.  But at the end of the day, there are no trophies, and all you really are is a "weeknd warrior".  And that is really not a bad thing at all.  As long as you keep things in perspective. More power to you if you can keep up the hours needed to participate in track events.  I'll proably even come back one of these years. I was track registrar for  number of years and got to know some really good folks in the process.  But to now listen to some of these newer folks going off like they are total experts just makes me laugh.  They need to talk to some folks who have been doing this for a long time.  And guess what?  The best drivers/instructors are so humble that you would never believe that they can drive like they do.  Like have you evr hard Mike Andrews be anything other than low key?  That guy can take a 911 apart with his eyes closed, and then put it together again, and then take it out and drive it faster than some of these so called "experts".  Again, it is all about keeping things in perspective.

As for AX.  I admit it.  I am far too dumb to memorize the courses.  Yes.  I am the one who gets lost after a few cones.  Driving on a track is so much easier.  Just follow the road.

I'll end this rant by saying that there is room in the club for everyone.  And I will continue to befriend all folks, regrdless of their individual preferences.  But if I see someone with an attitude....I'll feel it's my duty to defend those who are targeted.

Is that controversial enough?    

- TwentySix - 01-12-2007

Quote:Some do not do AX and some do not DE. Each to their own, but there's really no place for saying one is inferior to the other

I don't see where anyone said that... Wally is saying that for him, DE is more fun and for me, right now, it's the same, though I don't know who Sophie Tucker is....  Tongue  You know I love AX,  but at this point in my life, DE is more fun and satisfying for me.  AX is great if it fits in, but if the choice is DE at Summit with RTR or AX nearby, I'm going to the track.  I started AXing almost 20 years ago, it has provided me with invaluable experience and friends, I'm certainly a better driver for doing it.  [Image: burnout.gif]

- TwentySix - 01-12-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Can we combine the AX with an ongoing social event? AX w/ a BBQ? AX with a Wahs and Shine? Larger space for more driving time/day?m Moonbounce for the kids?
Tony,

We'd love to have more space, but it's hard to find even with a big budget. They just don't make parking lots like they used to Sad clear asphalt (no trees, medians, etc) is far and few between. I think it is critical to the health of the AX program that we find a better lot than the one we have at Valley Forge. That said, I'm one of the folks Wellard spoke of trying to improve things behind the scenes, and making AX more social is one of our goals. An idea I had was to have a tent/canopy set up with a few tables, maybe the results board in there along with drinks (water, soda) so folks can get out of the sun, do some hanging out and trash talkin' --but there is no space for that on the lot we're at now. I'd love to see more families out there--but it's a long day for a kid.

- catchacab - 01-12-2007

Let us as a club buy a large parcel of land, fight with a township for 20 years of approvals, then lay asphalt as far as the eye can see.  Meanwhile, 3 shopping centers, with a Home Depot, Target and every other big box merchant has been erected.

- Wally - 01-12-2007

Hi Elizabeth,  FYI, Sophie Tucker was an entertainer/celebraty during the era

of Mae West.  Her quote was "I've been rich, and I've been poor.  Rich is better."Big Grin

Wally

- Brian Minkin - 01-12-2007

A few years back we looked at the concept of getting a parcel of land jointly with a few other clubs and paving it along with installation of rest room facilities. For the paving costs alone with the facility in use 40 weekends a year it would take 25 years just to get the cost of paving returned.  We did not even have to consider the zoning fight cause it would not work financially.

- Tony356993 - 01-12-2007

Would a higher entry fee and less participants allow for more runs (and more fun) and less standing around? Would the folks that really love AX, pay twice the price for twice the number of runs? Brian-is this possible with the timing and scoring aspect?

Just thinking out loud............

Good idea about the tent/tables/refreshments

- Brian Minkin - 01-12-2007

Timing and scoring can handle any number of cars. But would Ax enthusiasts pay a $75 entry fee to run 10 runs instead of 5 or 6.  My perosnal opinion is no but I could be wrong. 

- Tony356993 - 01-12-2007

I know I don't know, that is why I just thought I would throw it out there

- Wellardmac - 01-12-2007

Good discussion going on and some nice ideas. About time. Pity it took shaking up a jar of bees and letting them loose to get it started. Wink

We're in agreement on the end point, we just have to find a way to get there. Elizabeth and I are in total agreement on the social side. We really need another element to AX to get people to talk to each other and become more involved than maybe talking with the guy in the car in front of you.