Riesentöter Forums
'ring School for 2008? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 'ring School for 2008? (/showthread.php?tid=843)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Phokaioglaukos - 12-20-2007

The dates for the 2008 Ring School have been confirmed: August 3 to 7. This is the school that BMW sponsors every year and a group of BMW club members from the US attend. The course is closed to the public and you learn the turns segment by segment in a lead/follow format behind instructors. Two drivers/car and you have to provide your own car. All the major (and minor) car rental companies in Germany prohibit use of their cars on the 'ring and there are reported to be spotters looking for rental cars. There are some rental firms that rent just for the 'ring, though. It'll get sorted out.

Interested? Bob, can you comment on the benefits of this class?

- michael lang - 12-21-2007

That really sounds like alot of fun. I wonder what the penalty would be if someone were to get caught driving a rental on the 'ring when they were told not to.

- Phokaioglaukos - 12-21-2007

Much data here: http://forum.ringersforum.com/

- ccm911 - 12-21-2007

Does it cost a small fortune to participate?

- Phokaioglaukos - 12-21-2007

The fee for the school is modest, but travel, race car rental and housing, with the Euro as strong as it is, doesn't make this as cheap as it used to be. The discussion forum link I posted is really good, even if most of the participants are in the UK.

I had plane tickets to do this two years ago, but my schedule fell apart. This year looks possible, but there is alot to plan to make this worthwhile. I think Bob advised that to make good use of the school one should be a RTR White driver at least.

- bobt993 - 12-21-2007

Chris, 

It's a great trip.  There have been alot of changes on rentals etc, even euro delivery (red plates).   You really should be white level or higher to do this course and enjoy it.  Budget 5K (min) for the trip plus airfare (5 to 7days minimum).   Shannon and I did this for two years and had a great time.  We skipped this year to save $$$.  I can possibly instruct since I have enough time on the ring and even managed a tie for second place in the points contest last time (it may allow us to go in 2008).  Instructors save some money on entrance fess and help orchestrate the groups through the course. 

Don't underestimate paying for gas it is double+ what you pay here and adds up!!!  Lodging will average 140.00 a night if your somewhat frugal.    "Zimmer frei?"

A fun trip is to get into Munich, drive south to the Austria, drive into Italy via the Dolomites, return to Germany, North to Berlin/Leipzig area, west to Nurburg.  Arrive early since the DTM or a vintage endurance race is usually at the circuit.  Spa can also be added to the venue ( the most beautiful track I have ever seen).   With a racing license, it is possible to drive Spa on closed course days,  public days are rare there.

BMWCCA has a great itinerary also.  We attached to their schedule on a couple of days, but did our own thing also. (the BMW factory is an impressive visit, and the Porsche plant is 2 miles from the Bimmer plant).    Alot of fun, great group of people (mostly left coasters).

- APXD 30 - 12-22-2007

We took our Boxster on the 'ring in '06 after we had it past the break-in period.   The 'ring was a challenge due to the number of turns.    In hindsight, some have recommended buying a video game system and playing a driving game to get a better feel for the course.

We're headed back this year to pick-up a Cayenne and taking Jen's parents along.   Our itinerary isn't set just yet, but the devilish side of my personality thinks it would be fun to drive north to the 'ring and watch my mother-in-law slide around the backseat on the 'ring.  Big Grin

- fasthonda - 12-22-2007

hi

that is a place i'd love to go someday!   but the rental thing really has me scared, (and unfortunately, i dont see any new porsche's in my future for european delivery).  then i stumbled upon this kind of rental, for the 'ring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pklvKKnd0

i bet they don't put spotters out looking for ford minivans......   and i bet that the rental on said minivan would be very reasonable, too!

plus, there is the added benefit of easily being able to haul all your family members along on the trip, along with a ton of luggage, etc!

todd

- bobt993 - 12-22-2007

Todd, they check every car at the entrance, except Breidscheid which you need a pass for (cuts out alot of the track also).  Sabine is a local celebrity and drives for BMW in the M5 taxi.  She is there alot when not attending to her bistro.   My paperwork was checked last time extensively while in staging (euro delivery of a 330i), there are "ringers" out on the course checking traffic.  I was pulled over on one lap after returning as they confused me with another Bimmer that did not "give way" to a superbike with a pro driving.  They seem to have changed the rules on the "red tags", but I will look into this further.  Euro delivery of a 1 series would be perfect and save $$$ on the car.  Includes 14 days of insurance from BMW.   The rules a very loose.  If a you graded DE's at a level 5 with contact racing at a 10, the public track days are more like a 7-8.  Accidents are common and fatalities do happen almost monthly.   I severe accident closes the track for an investigation by the police/ambulance etc, then the track re-opens business as usual.   The three day course includes over 20 hours of track time, which translates into 15 DE track days.  The  guys that rented 911's last year would hit 175mph no problem on the open laps.  I think our 330i was limited to 145. 

- Sechsgang - 12-22-2007

this sounds fun... (Devil horns pop up)