Riesentöter Forums
Poll: Planning for the future AX - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Poll: Planning for the future AX (/showthread.php?tid=85)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Wellardmac - 09-20-2006

The sheer number of posts in the AX forum tells us that AX is popular. The content and enthusiasm in the posts tells us that the demand is there. We need to find a way to channel the demand into a forum that will attact members to turn out and compete in AX.

The reality is that right now we're treading water. We have a number of people who would like to see things get better. We do not have the resources to make the dramatic changes that some have suggested, such as buying a PA and display systems. Any new venue that we select has to fall within the existing budget and be within the $2000 per event range.

That being said, we do have the ability to make substantive changes that might change the dynamics - adding new venues, changing the timing of events, adding run classes, advertising in advance to a broader audience. The fact that we attract so many non-Porsche cars tells us that the market is there.

I'm opening this thread with the idea of trying to get all the ideas that have come out in other threads in one place.

Post away, but please be specific and attainable.

If you have ideas for a site, can you point us at the person we need to talk to, or would you be willing to make a phonecall to start the ball rolling? Same goes for any other ideas. let's see if we can draw them together and make them actionable and get some traction on them.

Brian, any chance we get get a mailing out to try and get broader feedback on this subject? We could get something together for the next Der Gasser, but I'm hoping to be try and leverage the interactivity of this forum if we can. Maybe get a link on the RTR website to this poll.

- STEVEMCMORN - 09-20-2006

Can you add 'date of event' to poll??

(I think) 3 autoX so far this year have all been holidays weekends -

Ok for 20-somethings with imprezas but not good for older grown ups - ie those who can afford nice Porsche's - who usually have kids + wives who tend to plan three day breaks whenever they get the chance Wink

- STEVEMCMORN - 09-20-2006

2 min turn around - not bad..

- betegh9 - 09-20-2006

The poll is good! It is a start, and I voted. Based on the results so far, only 2 people have voted for the same thing. Can I vote more than once?Wink
I think that the location and the size of the lot is very important also. Only HARD CORE AXers would be willing to travel 1.5+hours to an event. Most Porsche guys are primadonnas who would like everything in their back yard and don't want to wake up before 10am........specially on a weekend. I wake up at 6:30 every day,so why should I do that on a weekend?

- smankow - 09-21-2006

W, in looking at your poll, there are a few items that don't make sense.  Why would "lack of publicity" or "other driving" be one of the most important factors in attending an AX event?

- Larry Herman - 09-21-2006

I think that a good site, with a relatively large, flat lot is of primary importance.  That will allow for the greatest flexibility in course layout, along with ease of car management.

One big thing that I miss is the results board, where all of the times are posted by name& class so that everyone can see what is happening.  That always provided a "lively" gathering point and made the event that much more interesting.

Finally, I may have a small PA system, though it is probably 25 years old.  I will look for it & if it works, donate it to the AX program.

- TwentySix - 09-21-2006

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:I think that a good site, with a relatively large, flat lot is of primary importance. That will allow for the greatest flexibility in course layout, along with ease of car management.

One big thing that I miss is the results board, where all of the times are posted by name& class so that everyone can see what is happening. That always provided a "lively" gathering point and made the event that much more interesting.

Finally, I may have a small PA system, though it is probably 25 years old. I will look for it & if it works, donate it to the AX program.

I totally agree with Larry... I forgot about the results board, it was always a hub of activity Smile

Nick had mentioned the large results display, that's one perk of a successful autox program, not a reason to show up.

- TwentySix - 09-21-2006

smankow wrote:
Quote:W, in looking at your poll, there are a few items that don't make sense. Why would "lack of publicity" or "other driving" be one of the most important factors in attending an AX event?

Wayne,

Did you mean that a lack of publicity for the event kept folks away? So would the question be that they were not aware of the event? I agree with Steve, and also would suggest combining the course items (length, layout and speed) into one because they are all barking up the same tree...

- smankow - 09-21-2006

in looking at the votes so far (10) no one listed location, yet there seems to be a common voice about the location of the AX.

- Larry Herman - 09-21-2006

Steve, I would think that "location" means proximity.  What more people seem to be interested in is the quality of the site.