Riesentöter Forums
Poll: Planning for the future AX - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Poll: Planning for the future AX (/showthread.php?tid=85)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Brian Minkin - 09-24-2006

Just got back from the Pocono DE and am catching up with the forum.  The one piece of info I will add to this great thread is that Paul Walsack is investigating Montco for use.  His property backs up to theirs so he thinks he can get some attention from the correct individuals.

- Wellardmac - 09-24-2006

Excellent! I look forward to hearing more!

Hope that the driving at Pocono was good... and not too wet. Smile

Pocono was a weather variety, Dry, Wet, foggy.  But for me it was a weekend of valuable lessons in car control and suspension adjustment.  Trying new tires, 2 sets, and both allowed the car to oversteer.  In every corner if I tried to use more then 70% throttle exiting each corner the car would break away in the rear and start to rotate. Came close to a spin a few times but was able to save it- thus great pactice in car controll.  Driving like a snail because you cant accelerate out of corners does not make one very happy. Played a lot with different tire pressures but this still did not help the problem.  Never had this on the previous tires.  Finallly after seeking advice from Bill Dougherty a decision to change the rear sway bar, make it softer, (mine are adjustable)  was made and the car hooked up like it always did before. 1st  run after this change was on a wet rainy track and the car very neutral even with a wet track.  Ended the weekend with a one hour run. Run groups where combined because so many people had left early.  What a smile I had on my face when I came in.

- betegh9 - 09-24-2006

Larry,
Every AX event varies slightly as per course layout, therefore worker asignment. If you like to send a car off every 20 seconds, the more workers you have, the better. If you have 60 entrants, 30 work in the first run group and 30 in the second. When everyone WORKS, the load per worker lessens and in all fairness no one can complain. If a person does not work, his runs are stricken from all records. 2nd offence from the same individual, he would be kindly asked not to come back. And that is the way it is! AX is a SERIOUS sport.......and lots of FUN!! As long as everyone does their part.Smile

- betegh9 - 09-24-2006

Good going Brian!!
Right! On track, you like to have slight understeer to keep the car doing what you say. I have been mixing track and AX this season, and I change my sway bar settings every time. Fine tune after my first run, either the sway bars or tire pressure. Your 1 hour stint must have gotten you pretty exhausted. Have you done TT's? If you want to do some, look at Motorsports NE. You get tons of seat time!Smile

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Pocono was a weather variety, Dry, Wet, foggy. But for me it was a weekend of valuable lessons in car control and suspension adjustment. Trying new tires, 2 sets, and both allowed the car to oversteer. In every corner if I tried to use more then 70% throttle exiting each corner the car would break away in the rear and start to rotate. Came close to a spin a few times but was able to save it- thus great pactice in car controll. Driving like a snail because you cant accelerate out of corners does not make one very happy. Played a lot with different tire pressures but this still did not help the problem. Never had this on the previous tires. Finallly after seeking advice from Bill Dougherty a decision to change the rear sway bar, make it softer, (mine are adjustable) was made and the car hooked up like it always did before. 1st run after this change was on a wet rainy track and the car very neutral even with a wet track. Ended the weekend with a one hour run. Run groups where combined because so many people had left early. What a smile I had on my face when I came in.

Nice! I wish I'd been there. If I hadn't been at the Dover 400 with McMorn today I would have been up there watching you guys. Sounds like a good way to spend the weekend. I'm glad to hear that the car came out undmaged and that you learned something new! After the groundhog it wouldn't be good to damage the car on two successive track days.

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:Larry,
Every AX event varies slightly as per course layout, therefore worker asignment. If you like to send a car off every 20 seconds, the more workers you have, the better. If you have 60 entrants, 30 work in the first run group and 30 in the second. When everyone WORKS, the load per worker lessens and in all fairness no one can complain. If a person does not work, his runs are stricken from all records. 2nd offence from the same individual, he would be kindly asked not to come back. And that is the way it is! AX is a SERIOUS sport.......and lots of FUN!! As long as everyone does their part.Smile

True, everyone does need to work, but it doesn't get us to a place where AX becomes more of a social event as well as a competition.

Nick,

No I have not done any time trials.  The reason is that my On Track Insurance will not cover a timed event. How much variance do yo do in sway bar adjustment between track and AX.  On a scale of 12 positions I moved the rear only one postion and that was the trick it needed. 

- betegh9 - 09-24-2006

Brian,
I presume that you moved the adjustment to be SOFTER. The amount you move depends realy first on the size of the bar. If you have not changed the settings since the July AX event, (your car seemed to plow there) till now, I would tighten 2 positions (the rear sways)for your next AX and back to the way you had it for track.

The TT's are safer than a track event, since you are on track without others and you drive to the level you want, like in AX. I thought that I would not like it, but I WAS WRONG.

- TwentySix - 09-25-2006

I met Graham for the first time, who was really nice and enthusiastic for the next year.  His priority seems to be getting a bigger lot, though he wasn't aware of our ongoing conversation on this forum.  We only chatted briefly, but I was encouraged by what he had to say.