Riesentöter Forums
WELCOME TO RTR AUTOX in 2008 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: WELCOME TO RTR AUTOX in 2008 (/showthread.php?tid=983)

Pages: 1 2

- STEVEMCMORN - 01-24-2008

Au·to·cross (ô't�?-krôs', -kr�?s') n. - A form of motor sport that emphasizes safe, low-cost competition and active participation. An autocross is a timed competition where drivers navigate one at a time through a temporary course marked by traffic cones. Autocross tends to place more emphasis on car handling and driver skill than on sheer horsepower.
Welcome to a new year of AutoX with RTR!

2007 was a breakthrough year for Riesentöter Autocross. The program grew from the usual single local event at the Scanticon Center, to a program which involved a 7 event “AutoX+ Roadshow�? series, a PAX-based points championship, a novice school held in conjunction with Philly SCCA, lots of pancakes, many new friends, and the occasional beer! As the new incoming chair of 2008, my plan for RTR AutoX this year will be to stay with the same successful format as 2007 …… but with a few minor tweaks and improvements here and there.

2007 AutoX+ Championship Results  First, before we discuss our plans for 2008, let’s review the final positions and points from the inaugural 2007 RTR AutoX+ Roadshow Championship. After 7 enjoyable events ranging from Englishtown, NJ to Hershey in central PA, congratulations go to our very own webmaster Pete Majka, who won the overall championship with 145 points. After a close series in which the lead changed many times, Pete finally finished just 1 point ahead of myself in second, with Vytenis Bichnevicius (just call him Veeeeeeeeeee) coming in a strong third. Final points & positions for the overall championship plus a selection of AutoX photographs from 2007 (including the 3 handsome winners at the holiday party) are shown below. Many thanks to all who attended any of our events in 2007 and we looking forward to seeing you again in 2008!

What’s the plan for 2008?  As discussed above, the plan is to keep the same format as last year … but with a few minor tweaks and improvements. My first action was to follow in Graham’s footsteps by setting up an AutoX sub-committee to help run this year’s events. I’m delighted to announce that Beth will return to act as our point person with Philly SCCA, and as I take the step up to AutoX chair, Veeeeeeeee will join the team to act as my backup with the additional responsibility of ensuring PAX-factors submitted for the planned championship are fair and accurate. We usually meet once a month for breakfast to plan and scheme. If you would like to help out with AutoX this year, please send me an e-mail at stevemcmorn@hotmail.com

In 2008, we will continue with the successful AutoX+ Roadshow & Championship and we aim to hold another AutoX novice school, either alone or in conjunction with Philly SCCA. The Roadshow is a ‘just for fun’ series for any RTR members interested in attending more local AutoX events. In addition to holding our own event(s?), we will aim to attend 5 or 6 local PCA & SCCA events over the summer months. For those who would like to compete in our Championship, points will be awarded according to final finishing position, based on a PAX-scoring system designed to even out the performance of different types of cars – the monthly schedule and more info will follow in the next couple of months. Most importantly, I am also delighted to announce that SPECIALTY CARS have come back on board as the sponsors of the 2008 RTR AutoX+ Roadshow. The owner, Mark Burkit, has been working on Porsche cars for 28 years, and has built SCCA National XP AutoX Champion Dave Newman’s 911 from the ground up. Their shop does everything from PA state inspections, brakes, suspension and oil changes to full restorations and track preparation. Please thank Mark and Dave by following the link to their website www.specialtycarsservicecenter.com

We also plan to once again hold our very own RTR AutoX event in 2008 …. but the secret here is to keep trying to find a new site. The site at the Scanticon Center is small, but very expensive so we are currently looking for a new venue which is bigger and cheaper. We have a couple of very good leads which we are pursuing but if you know of any other potential sites, please contact me and we will follow up. Even though we appreciate your help and enthusiasm, please do not contact the site owners yourself as we don’t want to be in the position where several people have the same site suggestion and end up upsetting the owners with multiple phone calls and similar requests.

Finally, my last request is to ask you to check the RTR website and forum regularly for more information. We will aim to update the web and forum in real time as new information becomes available.

SO COME ON! Join the Fun! You know you want to! Porsches are meant to be driven and AutoX is a great first step into active autosport. There is not a safer or lower cost way of driving your Porsche on the edge, so if you haven’t tried it before, give it a go in 2008!  If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at stevemcmorn@hotmail.com or add a post to the Autocross section of the forum

Here’s to a great 2008!

Cheers,

Steve McMorn

2008 RTR AutoX Chair

Our Sponsors

Photo 1

2:

- betegh9 - 02-02-2008

Hi Steve!

Nice pics from last year. Sorry I missed out on them.

If you'd like to add to the road show, here is NNJR-PCA's schedule for next year:

http://www.nnjr-pca.com/site/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=autox

They will have a new format that will make most happy in whatever class a person wants to enter. The LEVELS are as follows:

SS: Showroom stock. As the name implies, right down to tire treadwear.

Stock: Minor modifications, exhaust beyond the CAT, R compound DOT tires.

Improved: Stock plus any suspension improvement. No engine or trany modifications

Modified: Improved plus any engine/ trany swap. Complete interior, and DOT approved and street driveable.

Race: Any car that is stipped, non-DOT, race slicks

SS and ALL ladies will be paxed and grouped into one.
Stock will have the classes split based on the Porsche model.
Improved and Modified will be split up into 4 and 6 cyl cars
Race will have only one group.

You may want to include one or 2 dates from NNJR to your roadshow schedule.Confusedhock:CoolCool

- STEVEMCMORN - 02-04-2008

Hey Nick

HNY! I actually e-mailed NNJR PCA AutoX Chair, Drew last night to ask if we could go up to Giants stadium on 20th July as part of our RTR AutoX Roadshow - if you could pull any strings to reserve us some slots without going through on-line booking, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Plans for rest of roadshow schedule are falling into place - we have provisional dates for 1 event a month from May to October so far, ranging from Philly SCCA at Warminster to Central PCA at Hershey to NNJR SCCA at English Town + possibly Giants stadium up North and Chesapeake at Ripken (although heard that Ripken is not available anymore???) plus our very own RTR AX of course - just waiting for Philly SCCA to confirm their Boeing events and hear back from Drew.

Will aim to have final schedule in place in next few weeks and will then publish on web, on forum and in Der Gasser

Look forward to seeing you at a few of our events this year

Cheers Steve

- betegh9 - 02-16-2008

I hope that as many of you can get to the Meadowlands for a REAL AX event where most of the cars are Porsches. The classes are well thought of and the competition is fierce but also VERY friendly within each class. You can usually get 8 runs to get the best one count. A car is sent every 20 seconds, so there is never a dull moment. CoolCoolBig Grin

- Max Power - 02-27-2008

I am looking forward to Autocrossing in 2008!   Hopefully RTR can have more than one of our own this year.  Smile

What about a gymkhana?   Exactly what is a gymkhana anyway?   Is that how you spell it?  I picture it as what Bobby and Cindy Brady did on the Brady Bunch TV show.  i.e. drive thru a really really tight course, maybe even with some reverse driving, and then at the end, see how close you can get your bumper to the egg balanced on the top of a traffic cone without knocking it off.   I think they were popular in the 1950s?

- Max Power - 02-27-2008

What about the Boeing Helicopter Plant on i95 near the airport?   The Philly region SCCA has 2 or 3 AutoXs there every year.   Could RTR hold an AutoX there?