Riesentöter Forums
F1 Back in the USA? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: F1 Back in the USA? (/showthread.php?tid=2317)

Pages: 1 2

- Mike Thomas #828 - 05-27-2010

two liberals ripping on texas...how typical.

i guess you guys don't realize that Austin is a very liberal city. It's much like a san francisco vibe. You two latte-sipping, illegal immigration supporting, progressive taxing, anti-capitalist lefties will fit right in, duct tape or no duct tape.

- Porshagod - 05-28-2010

AMoore wrote:
Quote:How awesome would an F1 race or even Indy race, be if it were held on a combination of the Ben Franklin Pkwy and Kelly drive. I thought if this years ago when there used to be a statue in the middle of Kelly drive near the Art Museum. I thought that could be the hairpin turn that would send the drivers back to Logan Circle. I know . . . too dangerous for today's drivers. But it would have been perfect, and permissible back in the 60s.

This would be a great venue (track) to bring back the Phila Vintage Grand Prix!

- APXD 30 - 05-29-2010

I heard about the Austin circuit during F1 qualifying this morning and am a bit perplexed as to why they chose TX.    I understand that there is not room for another race in the east but, given the historical shout-out blogs from fan groups during the races, there appears to be a large fan-base in CA.

As someone who would consider going to the race, I'd enjoy having other things to do whilst to make it a vacation.    I'm not bashing TX here.   I've been and it's a nice state with good people, I'm just a little surprised by the choice.

- emayer - 05-29-2010

I agree completely that Texas is less than ideal.  A factor that may have played a role in the decision may have been the legal and environmental hurdles in obtaining permission to build such a venue.  It would likely have been an insurmountable task in states like California while from what I gather, Texas has been procative in the selection process.

- Darren - 06-01-2010

Mike Thomas #828 wrote:
Quote:two liberals ripping on texas...how typical.
i guess you guys don't realize that Austin is a very liberal city. It's much like a san francisco vibe. You two latte-sipping, illegal immigration supporting, progressive taxing, anti-capitalist lefties will fit right in, duct tape or no duct tape.

Well I don't know about all that but I do know that Texas has a lot of space so there is a lot of opportunity to do this right, which Bernie indicated (opinions of him disregarded).

Texas seems awesome to me! And I'll tell you what -- Texans like to do it bigger and better than anyone else!

I think this is a huge huge win for American F1 fans!

- Phokaioglaukos - 06-01-2010

When the BBC asked Bernie why Austin, he replied that they agreed to build the facility F1 wanted, one just like the one in Turkey. Modern with great spectator amenities. We'll not see another track like Monaco again, and with the almost non-existent passing opportunities there I'll not really miss that. One Monoco is enough.

It would be great to see a street course for vintage racers in Philadelphia, but I do not see a sponsor making it possible, and of course the city does not have the money to do it or the willingness.