Riesentöter Forums
My New Shelby Rear Ended - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: My New Shelby Rear Ended (/showthread.php?tid=2556)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- MikeKling - 12-16-2010

I would agree with Chris.  As long as you didn't choose limited tort, your options are quite open.  Who owned the car?  Stupid kid or parents (with assets).  Most importantly is your potential personal injuries.  I know we all wish you the best and pray that any injuries are the least of your worries.

- Budman - 12-16-2010

How about some kind of diminished value claim, particularly since it is a very limited production vehicle? I'd talk to a legal expert if I were you. If it's likely you'll take a hit on resale value anywhere down the road because of the accident, you have  diminished value and a claim insurance companies will pay, in addition to repair costs, for the right vehicle and for the proper documentation. Keep us posted and good luck.

Bud

- ccm911 - 12-17-2010

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:might need the perfect high end shop that can handle the frame rail damage, the body work and suspension/mod shop work to on the go fast parts. any ideas?

A group of us have been using Brian Matus with awesome results. He repaired my BMW and there were zero tape lines from the paint. He is in Bridgeport, PA.

Let me know if you want his contact info.

- George3 - 12-17-2010

Tony, sorry to hear this.  Man, you're having rotten luck lately, and I hope your MRI's and overall health come out good.  That's the most important. 

Since this is a collector car status vehicle, I would agree with Chris' suggestion.  It will be extremely difficult reselling that kind of car with an incident on the CarFax.  Hope all turns out well.

-G

- Tony356993 - 12-17-2010

Thanks all.

I'm fighting an uphill battle here. I have received word from Shelby in Vegas that they will accept the car back for all repairs. The problem is getting this paid for. There repairs would allow the best chance of correct repair and the best paper trail and documentation of repairs. Still not new but better than being fixed anywhere else. Now I just need the insurance folks to understand (maybe with litigation) that this situation just does not fit their cookie cutter formula for repair vs replace due to the enormous diminished value of the car.

- Terry - 12-17-2010

This will be a big problem for you. Almost all auto policies disclaim coverage for diminution in value and will only pay you to repair the car unless it is totalled, in which case they will pay you actual cash value, itself a term of art. A better option is to sue the driver who struck you, since diminution in value should be an element of damage. Whether his insurer will pay for this is another issue but at least you have a chance. He may have other assets but this is a long shot. Sorry about your bad luck - same thing happened to me (although that was a 1996 C4, not a rare beast like yours.)

- michael lang - 12-18-2010

Tony, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I do hope that your recovery is fast and as painless as it can be.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Terry, this situation will be very challenging. I have seen it so many times where an insurance company will hide behind "reserve the right to use like kind and quality when available" for car repairs on my clients' cars. Especially when it comes to those that are the special cars. Black Series AMGs and Renntech conversions are the most difficult because eventhough Mercedes Benz recognizes them (Black Series) as legitimate cars, insurance companies view those vehicles as being modified. These challenges can be overcome but not without assistance. I'm sure that you have probably already done so but if you haven't you should talk with your regular attourney, if that person is your attourney for the store then it would probably be in your best interest to get a referral for someone that specializes in dealing with insurance companies, no I'm not talking about an ambulance chaser.

A while ago when you were selling the 993 and you were on the fence about keeping it and having a high end repaint completed I told you about a restoration shop in Philadelphia called Karosorie (I think that's how it is spelled) they specifically work on highend rare stuff. Obviously Shelby would be the way to go but if that didn't work out, maybe Philadelphia would be a good second choice. None the less, best of luck in dealing with this. If there's anything you can think of that you need my help with, please call me.

- Tony356993 - 12-18-2010

Was contacted yesterday by both insurance companies and they are finally starting to do the math.

Value of salvaged car has been estimated at 50-60k and is being quietly "shopped" around.

Cost to ship the car to and from Vegas is 4k

Cost to have Shelby do all repairs is 20k.

My allowable rental car cost is 3k

Simply, they could eliminate 27k in costs and receive say 55k from selling the salvage.

Sound much easier to make the customer happy and cut me a check for the agreed value of 85k so I have a chance ofnordering another car. However, I only have until 12/31 to put a non refundable deposit on a replacement car. If the insurance companies drag their feet any longer and then total the car, I may miss the chance.

Shelby is making a convertible gt350 for 2012. Obviously would be sweet but then no track. If my neck feels the way it does this morning, there may be no track anyway.

- Porshagod - 12-18-2010

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:might need the perfect high end shop that can handle the frame rail damage, the body work and suspension/mod shop work to on the go fast parts. any ideas?
Try Rob Nudy at Eagle Collision (610-458-8850) on Rt 100 in Eagle or Brian Matus at Matus Bros Auto Body (610-275-3002) in Bridgeport. Have referred many clients over the years all with excellent results. Feel free to mention my name. Good luck!

- Minoclan - 12-19-2010

Looks like justifiable homicide to me