Riesentöter Forums
Dealer recommendations? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Towing and Trailers (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Dealer recommendations? (/showthread.php?tid=883)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Phokaioglaukos - 11-08-2007

Thanks, Chris. Is that for a gooseneck or for a fifth wheel? Any idea where I can find out more or find Ian?

- ccm911 - 11-08-2007

Chris.

Ask Darren.  He has seen the setup.  I am not quite sure of the differnce between a goose-neck and fifth wheel.  Ian had a really big two car trailer.  Unfortunately, he has moved to New Mexico, and I have not head from him lately.

Will do this weekend. Thanks. I'm not sure I can fit a gooseneck 24' box and 8' attic, but it might be nice. Trailers like that do not seem very popular, though, so resale might be an issue.

- Darren - 11-08-2007

The gooseneck is basically just a ball that sticks up.  The hide-a-ball setups like Ian's are pretty cool, but even just a ball won't get in the way that much...

The 5th wheel uses a kingpin and receiver, similar to a tractor trailer setup.  The gooseneck allows the trailer to articlulate on the ball, which is why it's popular on horse trailers because of people driving off-road.  I think most(all?) of the kingpin receivers articulate now, so it's not an issue anymore.

The main advantage of either setup, in my opinion, is moving the weight of the trailer closer to the middle of the tow vehicle.  This lessens the effect of the trailer weight on the tow vehicle.  This is more important on a short wheel base vehicle, which is why I commented that a proper tow vehicle is key.  On a longer wheel-base vehicle, like my 2005 extended cab dually 3500, it takes a much bigger trailer to affect it.

For example I used to tow a single car steel trailer (5000 lbs or so with car) with my 2002 Chevy Tahoe.  Because of the Tahoe's short wheel base, sometimes the rig would porpoise (and sway), sometimes to the point of lightening the front of the truck and making it hard to steer.  Exactly like on a top fuel car, the longer wheel base means more leverage to keep it on the ground.  Also, weight distribution bars help this situation by increasing the resistance to a change in angle between the truck and trailer.

So everything is a compromise of course.  My dually tows a bumper mount 36' 2-car open trailer wonderfully.  I don't think it would be much better with a 5th wheel or gooseneck.  The other extreme is a lightweight SUV, aluminum trailer, load distribution bars, and sway control.

Darren wrote:
Quote:The main advantage of either setup, in my opinion, is moving the weight of the trailer closer to the middle of the tow vehicle. This lessens the effect of the trailer weight on the tow vehicle. This is more important on a short wheel base vehicle, which is why I commented that a proper tow vehicle is key.
Stability in towing is certainly a benefit--supporting the weight of the trailer over the rear axle. My interest is more a matter of making the trailer easier to backup and gaining the enclosed storage of the attic.

Much to think about. Please keep educating me.

- vego - 11-14-2007

go half way down the page, there is a great looking featherlight for sale!

http://www.frankdibella.com/MiscVehicles.shtml

- steveh - 11-15-2007

George3 wrote:
Quote:Trailex are very cool, small trailers. Low headroom and very compact. Light weight is the key. I priced them and they are pricey. You could do better with a bit more weight and a lower price with other brands.

Hi George:

Sounds like you've done a lot of research. What did you finally go with? I just picked up a tow vehicle and have an old, heavy, full-deck trailer that I can use for now, but would like to find something a little lighter to save on fuel and wear and tear on the tow vehicle.

Thanks.

- George3 - 11-15-2007

Steve,

I wound up getting a 1-year old open aluminum trailer by ATC (Aluminum Trailer Company).  It tows easily with my Jeep Grand Cherokee with V-8 engine.  Very pleased.

- George3 - 11-15-2007

Here's another pic when I'm loaded.............

................ Wink

- Darren - 11-15-2007

Ahhh...that was your car....I love the color!!