Riesentöter Forums
bf goodrich g-force R1 users... - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: bf goodrich g-force R1 users... (/showthread.php?tid=2306)

Pages: 1 2 3

- scwaters - 05-21-2010

Ran my first DE on R1s last weekend @ Summit Main. Going from OEM to R1s does not qualify me to compare R rated tires but I can say that once the temps were worked out the car was dead neutral and the wear nominal & even after 9 heat cycles.  I love them.  Hoping to get RTR summit and the Glen out of them.

- AMoore - 05-24-2010

This month's "Car & Driver" has an article comparing the BFG R1 with the Pilot Sport Cups, the Toyo R888s, and the Yokohama Advan A048.  The R1 did well but the article recommeded that thos new to R compounds use the Toyo and the PSCs before switching over to the R1 because the R1s give out without much warning.

- Mark Fox - 05-24-2010

I ran through 2 sets of them when they first came out.  Darren was right on with his comments.  A very high level of grip with excellent recovery if you really over cook it. My last set I had 54 cycles on them without cording, but they were a handfull.  I think they really got interesting around 48-49.

My one issue is they seem to have an outer layer that looks like it is delaminating after 2-4 days.  I sent the first set back after this problem, which required numerous phone calls and finally dealer support to verify the problem.  I recall when the second set came in the dealer refused 2 of the tires do to the delamination issue being evident on the new ones.  Don't expect any technical support from BFG, but there is a price savings if you can get the correct size.

- Mark Fox - 05-25-2010

Smile With the stick and beveled edge of the R-1 they have tons of grip.  I don't know what car or setup C & R used for there test, but I don't think you should have a problem with them going on you let alone that quickly.  In fact when they are newer the car doesn't want to slid at all. 

The DOT tires have a lot of feel.  The usual recomendations are for developing drivers who have not developed smooth inputs, to stay on streets, because the sticky tires will mask your mistakes.  Hope this helps.

- betegh9 - 05-25-2010

What do those magazine writers know.................. they write articles based on what the manufacturers feed them, and rig up the test sessions.  You are the best judge.  The more track days you have, the more informed you will be.  If you want to race, get the best, slicks, or Hoosier DOTs.  If you are just enjoying DE, get whatever your budget, experience and driving ability you can afford....... it's a free country.  Beware of the guy in street tires lapping some Hoosier drivers.Confusedhock:Big Grin

but also........

Believe 1/2 of what you see, 1/3 of what you read, and nothing of what you hear!!TongueTongueTongue

- Mark Fox - 05-26-2010

SmileNick is right on about the street tires. Unless you are on 16" wheels which have a large sidewall height and a lot of flex, an 18" wheel with a top summer high performance tire will get you around very well on track.

- AMoore - 05-26-2010

Every tire gives out once the friction circle for that tire is exceeded.  Also, the most important benefit from R compound tires is braking.  You do not want the abs coming on too early, or you do not want to lock up the tire if you do not have abs.

- Brian Minkin - 05-26-2010

Yes Mark Fox wrote:
Quote:SmileNick is right on about the street tires. Unless you are on 16" wheels which have a large sidewall height and a lot of flex, an 18" wheel with a top summer high performance tire will get you around very well on track.
Yes a high performance summer tire will grip very well in the corners. I am amazed at the Hankook tires I have for rain tires in the corners. In the dry they grip lick DOT slicks. But under hard braking its a different story. I have to add a significant greater distance to braking to get the car slowed down enough to enter a corner.

- betegh9 - 05-27-2010

AMoore wrote:
Quote:Every tire gives out once the friction circle for that tire is exceeded. Also, the most important benefit from R compound tires is braking. You do not want the abs coming on too early, or you do not want to lock up the tire if you do not have abs.

The more experienced you get, the less you use the tires for braking and more gets used for lateral grip.......... faster corner entry!!

- Guest - 07-04-2011

Quote:any users of these bf goodrich tires care to offer an opinion on them?...a set of 4 of these is approx $180 cheaper than a set of hoosiers r6's and they tend to be more available

for a DE event....not club racing...how would you compare them keeping in mind that wear is also a factor as well as overall grip...

thanks

My experience is:
I am averaging two autox-s per month and 4-6 DE events during the season... this will be my third season....