Riesentöter Forums
Help choosing new track tires for the 993 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Help choosing new track tires for the 993 (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Pages: 1 2 3

- larrybard - 06-06-2008

I have almost always purchased tires from Tire Rack.  They sell the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup - but not Toyo.  Where do most people buy that brand (if it's possible to speculate/generalize)?

Thanks

Larry

- betegh9 - 06-06-2008

you can get Toyos from C J Tires. Call 1-800832-3579 and ask for Joe. They have 9 locations, and installation is included in the price of the tires, no shipping.......... they have the best prices around. Mention that you are from the Riesentoter Porsche club, they advertize in our Der Gasser.

- Brian Minkin - 06-06-2008

Larry,

CJ Tires carry the Toyos and I believe also the Nito which is made by Toyo and I have heard favorable things about them.  The RA1 is discontinued and has been replaced by the R888 which has larger tread blocks and is not nearly as squirmy but other then the change in tread is basically the same tire.

- Terry - 06-06-2008

I would highly recommend you check Toyo prices at Radial Tire outside of Baltimore. He supports the local P club and I think you will be pleased, even with shipping and mounting.

- larrybard - 06-06-2008

Terry wrote:
Quote:I would highly recommend you check Toyo prices at Radial Tire outside of Baltimore.

Terry, I assume you mean the place in Silver Spring. Thanks for the lead. I'll compare their total (with shipping) price to CJ's.

Larry

- michael lang - 06-06-2008

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Stick with street tires for now. PS2's are a good combo tire for your car and your level.

What he said!!

Radial Tire Company Brookeville RD, Silver Spring Md 20901 301.585.2740 Paul/Sam/Chris all know their s#%t when it comes to tires.

- bobt993 - 06-07-2008

Okay,  I waited a little bit.

MPSCs:  235/285 combo in 18's, if the car is a 95 it must have upgraded components to use 18's.

Nitto 235's /  273(35profile) 18's.

These should be on dedicated track rims and NOT street driven for alot of reasons:

Tires will heat cycle properly on a track.  Tires will less likely pick up a nail or adverse sidewall wear from pot holes etc.  The best life of an R tire is with little tread which useless on the street. 

I see no problem getting R-tires in the early groups, but do not exist only on these tires.  Use them on good weather days after your comfortable on the track and your instructor agrees with the learning process.

MPSCs are a learning process just getting them to start sticking so it does add the "E" into DE. 

If your aspiring to ever race, R-tires are an initial skill that will be needed to learn prior to full slicks or DOT slicks. 

Good luck!

- ninjabones - 06-09-2008

I went with NT01s for my 95 993 this week.  235/40/18 & 275/35/18.  It's a much tighter fit in the rear than my Kumho Ecsta MXs with same dimensions even with additional negative ( -2.2 deg) camber dialed in.  I'm at RS ride height and have pretty stiff springs.

Others with less aggressive camber and/or more compliant spring rates may have tire rub issues.

- Mike Andrews - 06-09-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:I see no problem getting R-tires in the early groups, but do not exist only on these tires. Use them on good weather days after your comfortable on the track and your instructor agrees with the learning process.

I have every bit of respect for Bob, and we may be saying similar things but I want to add my two cents in here.

As a student we are trying to teach you car control, not speed. That control includes having the car move around at each end and as such the car should slide with you in control of the car. Street tires offer better input to that and do so at a lower speed. Running "R" spec tires raises the speed and reduces the feedback that's usually there in a street tire. As such I would suggest that you spend the early years on street tires. Granted you won't be as fast but you will learn more and in the long run I'd hazard a guess that you will be faster and have better car control skills.

- larrybard - 06-09-2008

I really appreciate all the comments.  As I indicated, my current [street] tires won't last beyond this coming week's event, so I have to replace them -- and wish to do so with street-legal tires that would also perform reasonably well on the track.  I'm nowhere near ready for dedicated track tires (which would also have to be accompanied by the purchase of a trailer I could tow with my 993).

Larry