Riesentöter Forums
Portable GPS - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Portable GPS (/showthread.php?tid=783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Wellardmac - 07-31-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Actually, I know a few folks in the club that would benefit greatly from an underwear warranty.

The combination of "Seepage" and "Hot Exhaust Gasses" pose a threat to underwear users world-wide. Big Grin

And lay off the Insurance companies. They provide me with a nice paycheck every two weeks.
I know for a fact that hot exhaust gases can be deadly - all depending upon their exposure vector. Wink

I have no problem with insurance companies, they provide a very valuable service. Smile

That being said, you know as well as I that insurance is all based on actuarial tables and probability of failure. An insurance company (like Vegas) will never take a bad bet.

My point was that some insurance is of higher value than others. Life insurance good. Extended warranty on tires, bad. Insurance on complex systems good. Simple systems bad.

The consumer needs to be educated on risk as well as the insurance companies. Most are terrible at assessing risk potential and tend to overreact in their perception of risk. I have some really interesting articles on risk assessment if anyone is interested. Smile I have a vested interest in risk assessment, so enjoy reading on the topic.

- dmano - 07-31-2007

Sounds to me like someone has gotten a stick stuck up thier ------  by an insurance company not paying off like they should have. I always get my money.

- LouZ - 07-31-2007

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:My point was that some insurance is of higher value than others. Life insurance good. Extended warranty on tires, bad.

By your rational ----- Life Insurance = BAD

In both life and tires, we want it to be long with gradual wear. If you get a BLOWOUT in life, I guarantee, YOU will not collect!Wink

- catchacab - 07-31-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Actually, I know a few folks in the club that would benefit greatly from an underwear warranty.

The combination of "Seepage" and "Hot Exhaust Gasses" pose a threat to underwear users world-wide. Big Grin

Is that why our newsletter was named "der Gasser"?Confusedhock:

I think Chris has been "der Gasser's" primary contributor over the past few years.

- ccm911 - 07-31-2007

Just ask Wellardmac for the Northern English translation of "Chuff", as in the "Chuff Zone".  Provided the VIZ has provided me with proper English over the years.

I missed the deadline for this month, but will be back for the next issue.

dmano wrote:
Quote:Sounds to me like someone has gotten a stick stuck up thier ------ by an insurance company not paying off like they should have. I always get my money.

Nope, incorrect. I just try to be realistic in assessing probability.

I also know that the the things I buy are generally high quality and will not fail within the lifetime I expect of them.

I have never, repeat never (and I collect gadgets) had any device fail on me within any period that would cover an extended warranty. In fact, generally, the things I buy do not fail before I retire them at the end of their lives - want verification ask my wife why I still have a 12 year old working mac sitting in my office.

LouZ wrote:
Quote:Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:My point was that some insurance is of higher value than others. Life insurance good. Extended warranty on tires, bad.

By your rational ----- Life Insurance = BAD

In both life and tires, we want it to be long with gradual wear. If you get a BLOWOUT in life, I guarantee, YOU will not collect!Wink

Lou, come on, you even quoted where I said life insurance = good.

Attention to detail is important in life and in reading insurance policies. Wink

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Just ask Wellardmac for the Northern English translation of "Chuff", as in the "Chuff Zone". Provided the VIZ has provided me with proper English over the years.

I missed the deadline for this month, but will be back for the next issue.

I noticed that you missed this month. I was most disappointed.

As for your question.

chuff v. To chuff is to fart. Entirely seperate to the word chuffed so use with care.

chuffed adj. Someone who describes themselves as being chuffed is generally happy with life. You can also get away with saying you are unchuffed or dischuffed if something gets your back up. Make sure you only use this word in the correct tense and familiarise yourself with the meaning of the word chuff too.

I was not aware of the former, but was more familiar with the latter.

- ccm911 - 07-31-2007

So now you get the double entendre in my column title.  Very few do.

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:So now you get the double entendre in my column title. Very few do.

Well, you have to be careful, because a lot of the slang used in Viz is specific to Newcastle... plus it has been a long time since I lived over there and the slang evolves very quickly and is highly regional.

It used to be that I could tell by someone's accent and language which village they lived in - I can't do that anymore though.